+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Larsen to auction off Yankees uniform from perfect game

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...ontent=Yankees
    Being the kind of grandfather that he is, New York Yankees legend Don Larsen is taking one for the team.
    The former pitcher announced Thursday that he's paying for his grandchildren's college education by auctioning off his most prized possession - the baseball uniform he wore when he pitched the only perfect game in World Series history.
    Steiner Sports Memorabilia will conduct the auction beginning Oct. 8, the 56th anniversary of Larsen's masterful pitching performance against the Brooklyn Dodgers in the 1956 World Series. Baseball enthusiasts worldwide will have the opportunity to place bids online or via phone for 56 days afterward.

The off-white uniform with faded Yankee pinstripes is in excellent condition, Larsen said.
    When asked how much he'd like to get for the uniform - which includes both the jersey and pants - Larsen, 82, didn't miss a beat.
    "A million," he said. "Why go cheap?"

Regardless of what happens at auction, Larsen said, he'll always feel a sense of proud ownership over the uniform.
    "It's still mine," he said. "I'm still inside it."

NYYF Legend

Re: Larsen to auction off Yankees uniform from perfect game

Good for him! I think you have to admire him for thinking of his families educational needs for the future. I hope he does get a million for it.

NYYF Legend

I think it's a great thing also. Larsen's in his 80's now. The uni's been his for over 55 years now and he wants the big money for a great reason, to pay for his grandchildren's college tuition. The only time things like this are sad is when a former athlete who wrecked his life with drugs or alcohol and has to sell some fixed piece of memorabilia because he's already run through his life's savings. Here, it's something a grandpa wants to do for his grandkiids. I hope they're good kids and they fully appreciate what their grandpa's doing for them.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

I concur. He's already lived a great life, and a grandfather doing this for his grandkids' college education seems like nothing but a good thing.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

A proper send-off for great piece of baseball history and the guy at the center of it. He always comes across as grateful and good.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'." - Yogi Berra

You must give Larsen credit. I just hope the grand kids appreciate it.
    “The only real game, I think, in the world is baseball.” - Babe Ruth

Thread Information