+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Re: Andy Pettitte leaves game after being hit by ball

I would still consider Hamels anyway. A playoff rotation of CC, Hamels and Andy with a Hughes or Kuroda or even Nova as the four would be tough to beat. But yes the announcement said CC is expected to miss just two starts.
    Life is good!

This is our future. JohnnyDamonfan's Avatar

It would be nice but not necessarily a need. You need to remember that even with the Phillies out of Contention he won't be cheap at all. We are still gonna need to pay Top Dollar for a one year rental. I'll keep my mind open about this but I seriously doubt we could get a bargain for Hamels.
    Still and will always be a New England Patriots fan.

[quote=THEBOSS84]You may be my favorite poster on the site. So sweet and innocent.[/quote]

A bargain for Cole Hamels? I wonder how many teams would be in line for that? If the Phillies decide to trade him, they are going to being fielding lots of offers.

Let me be clear, I am not expecting a bargain, but he is the one pitcher I would pay heavily for.
    Life is good!

This is our future. JohnnyDamonfan's Avatar

If he wasn't a one year rental I would be right there with you. Hamels is a very great pitcher. I just don't think he's worth the price of the players he's gonna get. I'll tell you this, if they do trade for Hamels. The Yankees better do all they can to sign him back. Because I really don't want to trade away our future for 2-3 months of dominance even if it does mean a World Series Ring.
    Still and will always be a New England Patriots fan.

[quote=THEBOSS84]You may be my favorite poster on the site. So sweet and innocent.[/quote]

The extension would be tough with Granderson and Cano having their big pay days coming. I am assuming Martin and Swish will leave and even then will be tough to get below $189 million by 2014.
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

Buster Olney mentioned this morning that if piecing the rotation together with what they have does not work, they may go after Liriano or Garza. Seems like a better plan right now than trying to land Hamels.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Depends how cheap you could get Liriano for.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Depends how cheap you could get Liriano for.
    Liriano is Jeckyl & Hyde. Dude has all the talent in the world you just never know which one you're getting.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    Buster Olney mentioned this morning that if piecing the rotation together with what they have does not work, they may go after Liriano or Garza. Seems like a better plan right now than trying to land Hamels.
    Want no part of Liriano....Garza would be the one we should target. Not only is he good, we also know he can handle the ALE just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Want no part of Liriano....Garza would be the one we should target. Not only is he good, we also know he can handle the ALE just fine.
    Garza will cost too much as Theo is going to hold somebody up.
    Okay Hal and Brian, I might be a sucker, but you got 3 more years to fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Garza will cost too much as Theo is going to hold somebody up.
    Maybe...but if I'm giving up prospects I'd much rather it be for Garza then Liriano. I guess thats the point I was trying to make. I dont quite understand the lure of Liriano. His ERA has been over 5, and WHIP over 1.5 in 3 of the past 4 seasons. Not someone I want to give up anybody worth anything for.

No trade should be made.
    It's only one spot in the rotation for 8 weeks, which turns out to be about 11 starts.
    Do we really want to deplete the farm for 11 ML starts?
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

Maybe...but if I'm giving up prospects I'd much rather it be for Garza then Liriano. I guess thats the point I was trying to make. I dont quite understand the lure of Liriano. His ERA has been over 5, and WHIP over 1.5 in 3 of the past 4 seasons. Not someone I want to give up anybody worth anything for.
    If the choice had to be made, I'd definitely go for Garza over Liriano. Liriano hasn't been anywhere near the pitcher he was in 2006 although he won the 2010 Comeback Award. He has a 2.41 ERA with 40 strikeouts in 37 1/3 innings over his last six outings - maybe that's enough to generate some interest, but it's too much of a crapshoot, IMO.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    No trade should be made.
    It's only one spot in the rotation for 8 weeks, which turns out to be about 11 starts.
    Depends. How Warren/Phelps/Garcia look over the month will be a huge factor. If these three dont perform, and if Andy's recovery and rehab takes longer then usual due to his age...you could have rotation issues heading into October and wish that another starter was dealt for.

Depends. How Warren/Phelps/Garcia look over the month will be a huge factor. If these three dont perform, and if Andy's recovery and rehab takes longer then usual due to his age...you could have rotation issues heading into October and wish that another starter was dealt for.
    I highly doubt there will be any issues with Andy's recovery, but even if there is we only need 4 starters in the playoffs and that would be without him CC/Kuroda/Hughes/Nova. Better to have Andy obviously but Warren/Phelps/Garcia won't see any post season starts.
    Life is good!

I think Freddy will do just fine, and hopefully one of the kids will step up. It sucks losing CC and Andy no doubt, but Kuroda and Phil have been pitching so well, Nova has been ok.....I think we'll be ok in the short term

The one caveat with that is that we're facing a tough stretch @Tampa @BOS and home against the Angels after the break

Happy Thanksgiving to all! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

No trade should be made.
    i'm with you...
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

No trade should be made.
    Perhaps the most sensible post in this entire thread.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

No trade should be made.
    That's where I'm at as the cost of a trade for any starting pitcher worth his salt would be cost prohibitive. You try to get by until CC comes back and then use the combination of Garcia, Phelps, Warren and anybody else in the farm to man up Pettitte's slot. Let's hope our offense kicks it into gear as the weather turns very warm to help in that endeavor.

No trade should be made.
    Couple of things: 1) 11 starts is a lot. 2) If they do deplete the farm for a guy like Hamels/Grienke it'll probably be with the intention of signing them to an extension.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Couple of things: 1) 11 starts is a lot. 2) If they do deplete the farm for a guy like Hamels/Grienke it'll probably be with the intention of signing them to an extension.
    But, if they are unable to sign whoever is acquired, they get nothing - emptying the farm system for 11 starts is not a good idea.

Only way I even consider a blockbuster deal is if I get 72 hours to sign the acquired player to an extension - no extension, no deal. I would rather keep the depth that we are developing in the minor leagues than spend unwisely for a rental.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Those 11 starts are not enough for the price that trade will cost unless they lose more starting pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    But, if they are unable to sign whoever is acquired, they get nothing - emptying the farm system for 11 starts is not a good idea.

Only way I even consider a blockbuster deal is if I get 72 hours to sign the acquired player to an extension - no extension, no deal. I would rather keep the depth that we are developing in the minor leagues than spend unwisely for a rental.
    Yes, agreed on the 72 hour deal...... but I am ready to deal our "top prospects" whom we often overvalue for someone proven.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

I want the cheaper one which will probably be Liriano, because Im pretty positive Pettitte and CC will be back and henceforth leading the playoff rotation. Just need to keep the ship afloat and Liriano is one of those low risk(if we can get fair price) high reward pitchers that might work out.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Thread Information