View Poll Results: Get rid of complete games and shut out bonus?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, get rid of the CG and SHO bonus (5 pts each)

5 41.67%
  • No, keep them

7 58.33%
+ Reply to Thread

Pitching change proposal #2 - CG and SHO

I think this may be a good time to also deal with this. It is not really going to affect the scoring big time since it is a rare occurance anyway. But I believe they are both usless rewards. You get a lot of points already for doing these things I see no reason to get more. A win is a win and a SHO & CG is not more of one. Especially an additional 5 points for each of them.

So let's vote on complete games and shut out as well. Keep em or ditch em?
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Re: Pitching change proposal #2 - CG and SHO

Jerry can you merge these threads or delete the other one for me? Sorry everyone.

NYYF Triple Crown

I'm going to vote to keep everything else until we figure out the K bonus. If we nerf the K bonus to .5 I would rather keep the other less likely/truly rewarding categories.

Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by ruthianblast View Post
    I'm going to vote to keep everything else until we figure out the K bonus. If we nerf the K bonus to .5 I would rather keep the other less likely/truly rewarding categories.
    I agree with this 100%. If we drop the K bonus to 0.5, I think we should be done with changes this year. The K bonus would be a big scoring change that we would need to see for a season how it changes the Hitting/Pitching disparity before making other changes.

But this is such a ridiculous award. You get 5-10 extra points for nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    But this is such a ridiculous award. You get 5-10 extra points for nothing!
    "It's not nothing!" - Karin Kinsella

I don't think it impacts what we're trying to do very much. I just want to get rid of a reward that you are already rewarded for during the course of the game.

Wait until you lose because someone gets 10 points and then you'll bitch and whine about it.

Sorry man, I was trying to throw a Field of Dreams quote in there....

NYYF Triple Crown

I don't think it impacts what we're trying to do very much. I just want to get rid of a reward that you are already rewarded for during the course of the game.

Wait until you lose because someone gets 10 points and then you'll bitch and whine about it.
    But these are additional bonuses for doing something that is not accomplished on a very regular basis. Most starts do not encompass 9 innings, just as most games are not shutouts. That being said cutting both in half would I believe be more effective. Just like as in K's, reward an ancillary accomplishment, but not but such a high margin. 2.5 points for either a CG or SHO is imo more than sufficient a bonus.

For me, again, just my opinion, these are analogous to K's, the premise is getting outs, we simply provide a bonus to doing something additional and/or special to achieve those outs.

I hate that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by ruthianblast View Post
    But these are additional bonuses for doing something that is not accomplished on a very regular basis. Most starts do not encompass 9 innings, just as most games are not shutouts. That being said cutting both in half would I believe be more effective. Just like as in K's, reward an ancillary accomplishment, but not but such a high margin. 2.5 points for either a CG or SHO is imo more than sufficient a bonus.

For me, again, just my opinion, these are analogous to K's, the premise is getting outs, we simply provide a bonus to doing something additional and/or special to achieve those outs.
    I think they are worthless. And even though uncommon, should not exist. Especially now since pitching is starting to dominate we may see it happen more and more. I think we should cut off now.

NYYF Triple Crown

I think they are worthless. And even though uncommon, should not exist. Especially now since pitching is starting to dominate we may see it happen more and more. I think we should cut off now.
    Then K's should go away completely as well; end of the day an out is an out, right? Why should we reward someone for an ancillary way of achieving said out?

One does not affect the other. There is no good reason either of these awards should exist.

The K bonus affects the league tremendously. I requested a possible spreadsheet to see what it will look like if it happens. This is just silly and should be done with. I see no good reason to keep it, especially since it doesn;t happen often and when it does teams benefit a great deal, way too much IMO.

NYYF Triple Crown

One does not affect the other. There is no good reason either of these awards should exist.

The K bonus affects the league tremendously. I requested a possible spreadsheet to see what it will look like if it happens. This is just silly and should be done with. I see no good reason to keep it, especially since it doesn;t happen often and when it does teams benefit a great deal, way too much IMO.
    I agree with it benefits players way too much. That's why I believe it should be dropped, possibly even down a 1 pt bonus, however there is something to be said for being able to pitch a CG as well as pitching a shutout. A win is a win, these are benefits to doing so in a special way.

Ok but if you believe a CG or a SHO shoud be awarded then why do you believe a K should be lowered?

NYYF Triple Crown

Ok but if you believe a CG or a SHO shoud be awarded then why do you believe a K should be lowered?
    I believe they should all be lowered; I don't want the K's eliminated completely, I don't want W, SHO, CG or QS eliminated I want them to be worth less than they are. K's have a huge effect, the other cat's have a large effect, but not as much as K's. I simply think they should all be reduced, but not eliminated completely.

I'll also throw the same thing back; if you believe that SHO, CG should be eliminated why wouldn't we eliminate K's as well.
    Last edited by ruthianblast; 06-27-12 at 03:22 PM.

Because in all formats of fantasy baseball a K is rewarded. shut outs and complete games general are not. So in a points league where there is a large disparity I see no reason they should even be considered as rewards.

But again I haven't made up my mind about Ks yet.

Thread Information