+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Re: 2012 Summer Olympics: London Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    That was a thrilling 4x100 relay. US ties the old world record but Jamaica shattered it. I have to wonder why we didnt have Gatlin or Gay on the anchor leg matched up against Bolt. Poor Bailey had no chance.
    I was wondering the same thing. He looked silly next to Bolt.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Some of these calls at the end of the half were insanely bad. Melo had extremely obvious position on Ibaka on a rebound, could have called an over the back on Ibaka or a no call, and somehow its a foul on Melo. Igoudala is hacked about 5 times coming down the floor by Fernandez, then Fernandez does this wonderful flop and Igoudala gets called for not just a foul, but an unsportsmanlike conduct foul. good work guys. basketball needs the flop red card too
    The refs were atrocious that marred a great game between two teams who want it more.

But the U.S. kept their composure and won the Gold Medal. It is their 14th Olympic Gold Medal out of their 17 Olympic appearances.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

By winning the gold medal in men's basketball, the United States set their own record for the most gold medals in a Summer Olympics outside of North America with their 46th in London 2012.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Handball - Men's Final Standings

From London2012.com

G: France
    S: Sweden
    B: Croatia

Water Polo - Men's Final Standings

From London2012.com

G: Croatia
    S: Italy
    B: Serbia

Volleyball - Men's Final Standings

G: Russia
    S: Brazil

After watching that Track and Field montage, I must say that London 2012 had the greatest Track and Field moments.

It's not just Usain Bolt and Sanya Richard-Ross and Alison Felix, it's also Great Britain's Mo Farrah and Jenn Suhr upsetting Russia's Yelena Isinbayeva for the gold medal in the pole vault.

One more medal event to go for London 2012: The Women's Modern Pentathlon combined event.

Live streaming of the closing ceremonies here at 4 PM ET/1 PM PT
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blog...-ceremony.html

And the final medals awarded in London 2012 go to *drum roll please*...

Laura Asadauskaite of Lithuania as she won gold in the women's modern pentathlon.

Great Britain's Samantha Murray gets silver.

And Brazil Yane Marques gets Bronze, eight points ahead of U.S.'s Margaux Isaksen who finished in fourth.

Final Medal Count: Sunday August 12, 2012
    http://www.london2012.com/medals/medal-count/

The United States are the biggest winners in London 2012 with 104 total medals including 46 gold.

Their 46 gold medals are their personal best in an Summer Olympic Games outside of North America and the ninth time they surpassed 100+ medals in a Summer Olympic Games overall.

China came in second with 87 total medals and 38 gold, a far cry from the 100 total and 51 gold they had in Beijing 2008.

Still, China has their third straight top 2 finish.

Meanwhile, hosts Great Britain achieved their best Summer Olympics since they hosted the games in 1908 with 65 medals including 29 gold. The 1908 team had 56 gold and 146 total.

The Britons smashed Sport UK's commitment total of 48 with the only misfired target was swimming. Sport UK's target was 5-7, the GB swim team won 3.

The Britons also finished fourth in the total medals count.

Russia had a successful tuneup towards their 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi with 82 total medals including 24 gold.

South Korea round out the Top 5 in the total gold medal count with 13.

Germany round out the Top 5 in the total medal count with 44.

7 nations had 10+ gold medals: USA, CHN, GBR, RUS, GER, KOR and FRA.

Australia, Hungary, Italy, Japan and a big surprise Kazakhstan round out the Top 12 in the gold medal count.

In all, London 2012 had 85 nations of the 204 winning at least one medal and 54 of them having at least one gold medal. London 2012 was one nation shy from Beijing 2008's count of 86 different nations with at least one medal, but tied with Beijing 2008 for the most countries with at least one gold.

In the final medal count of the 2012 Summer Olympics: London Thread

BB55 runs away with the Gold with 247 posts.

The real drama is for the next spot because it was a given that BB55 would be the winner of this thread without any real competition. And in a barn burner jlw1980 and dabomb2045 tie for the next spot with 29 posts!
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    In the final medal count of the 2012 Summer Olympics: London Thread

BB55 runs away with the Gold with 247 posts.

The real drama is for the next spot because it was a given that BB55 would be the winner of this thread without any real competition. And in a barn burner jlw1980 and dabomb2045 tie for the next spot with 29 posts!
    I'll go ahead and make it 30.

Still just over 10% of the thread winner's posts.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    Volleyball - Men's Final Standings

G: Russia
    S: Brazil

Wow, Brazil took the first two sets in that game. They had match point a few times. I went to bed just when Russia edged out the 3rd set but I thought Brazil would still go on to win. Impressive comeback from the Russians.

NYYF Legend

Good show, London. Very, very good show.

Only 543 days until Sochi!

Photos from the Closing Ceremony...
    http://www.london2012.com/photos/gal...irit-the-flame

One medal strip: IOC orders shot putter Nadzeya Ostapchuk of Belarus to return the gold medal after positive drug test
    http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2...ed-gold-doping

BB55's Perspective - London 2012

After watching the Summer Olympic Games in Beijing, China four years ago in 2008, I thought their Summer Olympic hosting was not going to be topped and London 2012 had some big shoes to fill.

Boy, I was wrong.

I thought that London 2012 was right on the mark with Beijing 2008 as the greatest Summer Olympic games ever.

In my opinion for the case with Beijing 2008, they had to overcome major obstacles including the International Olympic Committee's decision to award Beijing the 2008 games in 2001 despite China's poor human rights record and also the build-up including making Tibetan independence groups, torch relay disruptions, the Sichuan earthquake and pollution concerns.

As for London 2012, they had concerns with their aging transport system handling a lot of people, but it went through without a hitch. The security had shortage in personnel, but no major arrests or riots were made. The weather was surprisingly great with not much rainfall.

The action in any Olympic games were memorable and London 2012 was no exception:

Examples include:
    - Michael Phelps, in what could be his final Olympics, was the most decorated Olympian of all time with 22 medals including 18 gold during Week 1.

- The U.S. women's gymnastics team winning gold since 1996.

- Great Britain having their most successful Summer Olympics since hosting it in 1908 (the 1908 team had 146 medals) with 65 medals including 29 gold, third most behind the United States who had 46 and China who had 38. Andy Murray and Mo Farrah were some of the Britons who made a huge impact on the British team.

- Women's boxing made their debut.

- The U.S. Women football/soccer team having two thrilling games at Old Trafford and Wembley to capture their third straight gold.

- Oscar Pistorius being the first double-leg amputee to participate in the Olympics.

Of course, you gotta take the good along with the bad.

Examples include
    - One athlete, Belarus shot putter Nadzeya Ostapchuk had her gold medal stripped due to doping.

- A mix up of the North and South Korean flags during a women's soccer tournament.

- IOC president Jacques Rogge not giving a moment of silence during the opening ceremonies to remember 11 Israeli athletes and coaches who were killed in Munich 40 years ago.

- Match-fixing in badminton.

- Referee controversies in women's soccer and boxing.

But with the good and bad moments, there was the utterly amazing. The second week rampage of Jamaican livewire Usain Bolt.

If you really thought his performances in Beijing 2008 were awesome, his London 2012 performances took it to another level.

Bolt successfully defended his 100m and 200m Olympic gold medals. His successful defense of the 100m gold joined him with another track legend Carl Lewis.

Bolt led the charge of what arguably can be the greatest Track and Field event in Summer Olympics history in London 2012. Examples: Bolt teaming up with his fellow Jamaican teammates to break the world record in the men's 4X100m relay. The U.S. women led by Allyson Felix and Carmelita Jeter also shattered the women's 4X100m relay.

Finally, I thought the closing ceremonies rocked than the opening ceremony.

Seeing the Spice Girls reunion, Fatboy Slim, the Who and other legendary British artists made the London 2012 finale a night to remember.

Well, it has been a pleasure of watching another Summer Olympic Games.

To Lord Sebastian Coe and his London Olympic organizing team and also, Boris Johnson, the mayor of the city of London, thank you all for creating one of the most memorable Summer Olympic Games ever.

To Eduardo Paes, the mayor of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, we will see you in 2016.

NYYF Legend

BB55...what are you going to do now that the Olympics are over?
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post
    Fortunately, the Turkish pinochle league is kicking off on Wednesday
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post
    Work, vacation, more sports.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Fortunately, the Turkish pinochle league is kicking off on Wednesday
    Do u actually post on Yankee related threads or just on "Other Sports"?
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    BB55's Perspective - London 2012

After watching the Summer Olympic Games in Beijing, China four years ago in 2008, I thought their Summer Olympic hosting was not going to be topped and London 2012 had some big shoes to fill.

Boy, I was wrong.

I thought that London 2012 was right on the mark with Beijing 2008 as the greatest Summer Olympic games ever.

In my opinion for the case with Beijing 2008, they had to overcome major obstacles including the International Olympic Committee's decision to award Beijing the 2008 games in 2001 despite China's poor human rights record and also the build-up including making Tibetan independence groups, torch relay disruptions, the Sichuan earthquake and pollution concerns.

As for London 2012, they had concerns with their aging transport system handling a lot of people, but it went through without a hitch. The security had shortage in personnel, but no major arrests or riots were made. The weather was surprisingly great with not much rainfall.

The action in any Olympic games were memorable and London 2012 was no exception:

Examples include:
    - Michael Phelps, in what could be his final Olympics, was the most decorated Olympian of all time with 22 medals including 18 gold during Week 1.

- The U.S. women's gymnastics team winning gold since 1996.

- Great Britain having their most successful Summer Olympics since hosting it in 1908 (the 1908 team had 146 medals) with 65 medals including 29 gold, third most behind the United States who had 46 and China who had 38. Andy Murray and Mo Farrah were some of the Britons who made a huge impact on the British team.

- Women's boxing made their debut.

- The U.S. Women football/soccer team having two thrilling games at Old Trafford and Wembley to capture their third straight gold.

- Oscar Pistorius being the first double-leg amputee to participate in the Olympics.

Of course, you gotta take the good along with the bad.

Examples include
    - One athlete, Belarus shot putter Nadzeya Ostapchuk had her gold medal stripped due to doping.

- A mix up of the North and South Korean flags during a women's soccer tournament.

- IOC president Jacques Rogge not giving a moment of silence during the opening ceremonies to remember 11 Israeli athletes and coaches who were killed in Munich 40 years ago.

- Match-fixing in badminton.

- Referee controversies in women's soccer and boxing.

But with the good and bad moments, there was the utterly amazing. The second week rampage of Jamaican livewire Usain Bolt.

If you really thought his performances in Beijing 2008 were awesome, his London 2012 performances took it to another level.

Bolt successfully defended his 100m and 200m Olympic gold medals. His successful defense of the 100m gold joined him with another track legend Carl Lewis.

Bolt led the charge of what arguably can be the greatest Track and Field event in Summer Olympics history in London 2012. Examples: Bolt teaming up with his fellow Jamaican teammates to break the world record in the men's 4X100m relay. The U.S. women led by Allyson Felix and Carmelita Jeter also shattered the women's 4X100m relay.

Finally, I thought the closing ceremonies rocked than the opening ceremony.

Seeing the Spice Girls reunion, Fatboy Slim, the Who and other legendary British artists made the London 2012 finale a night to remember.

Well, it has been a pleasure of watching another Summer Olympic Games.

To Lord Sebastian Coe and his London Olympic organizing team and also, Boris Johnson, the mayor of the city of London, thank you all for creating one of the most memorable Summer Olympic Games ever.

To Eduardo Paes, the mayor of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, we will see you in 2016.
    nice post ,bb.

one thing i like to add is that this olympiad has broken all attendance records for the games , so a special nod must go ,imo, to the people of london and also to everyone else who put the effort in to support the games.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. He looked silly next to Bolt.
    I think their plan was to have a bigger lead heading in to the final leg so it wouldn't be a even footrace between those two.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I think their plan was to have a bigger lead heading in to the final leg so it wouldn't be a even footrace between those two.
    With no Powell, I genuinely thought that would be the case. Its a testament to the Jamaican depth that they can break the world record with a back up in their team.

Nice recap BB, it truly was a great Summer Games but to be honest, they are all great Summer Games. Everyone gets nervous beforehand but what never changes is the fact that these athletes are the best in the world and put them in a back yard some place and they will still astound.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

Thread Information