+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 119
  1. #1
    True Fan since '81 SonnyinMiami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Miami, FL

    The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    Since when have they been doing the wave at New Yankee Stadium ?? I've always heard & thought that the wave was an 80s thing & it would be kinda disrespectful & sacrilegious at a place like Yankee Stadium (New or Old)... maybe i'm just out of touch with pop culture (Very Old School). Just like I don't get flash mobs, reality shows, planking, etc. I just know that if I was at YS & the wave would be coming around, I would NOT participate.

  2. #2

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    It is sickening. Call me anti-social, an old fuddy-duddy, Al, too late for dinner or anything else you'd like but I'm never going to participate in a wave.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

  3. #3
    let's go rangers! Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    It is sickening. Call me anti-social, an old fuddy-duddy, Al, too late for dinner or anything else you'd like but I'm never going to participate in a wave.
    I despise it. Especially when it's done out of boredom during a pitching duel or really any reason. I hate it altogether. If I'm at a game I'm there to pay attention not jump out of my seat in a synchronized fashion.

    I'm usually quiet when I'm at a game, not one for chanting or whatever (not judging those who do) but when I see waves I boo. Really loud. I try to stay g rated if I comment because of kids but I will belittle you for doing the wave.
    Boo for trading Prado.

  4. #4
    Big Poppa dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I despise it. Especially when it's done out of boredom during a pitching duel or really any reason. I hate it altogether. If I'm at a game I'm there to pay attention not jump out of my seat in a synchronized fashion.

    I'm usually quiet when I'm at a game, not one for chanting or whatever (not judging those who do) but when I see waves I boo. Really loud. I try to stay g rated if I comment because of kids but I will belittle you for doing the wave.
    Agreed. The wave is stupid. You're at a ballgame, here's an idea....watch the game.

  5. #5
    NYYF Legend

    35Knucklecurve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Maryland branches, Pennsylvania roots

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    I saw it a couple of times last year at other parks and after the first time around, it just stopped. Little kids are probably the only ones who think it's fun, so for their sake, I wouldn't tell them to sit down.

    Any fan who starts the wave should be lead from his seat, flogged with a soggy french fry and escorted to the nearest exit. A second offense should result in a lifetime ban.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

  6. #6

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    The wave has been 'attempted' at the old YS AND the NYS since whenever it popped up in culture. The old stadium it was usually a group in the upper deck in right that would start it and it would generally die out before it got to third base side due to lack of interest. However, in the NYS, with the influx of band wagon jumpers and tourists it's making it further with more gusto. Never seen it actually go more than once, because the bleacher crowd pulls the plug. But I think it's starting to lose it's 'charm'- rarely see it on my weeknight games, and if it does start it ends real quick.
    "Bacon, The Candy of Meats"

  7. #7

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    At OYS it happend a lot less frequentlythen NYS. If it did it was started by a drunk person. there would be a chant "Save the wave for Shea". At NYS it is more frequent due to, as mentioned people that are there for more than the game. Last year I was able to sit down by the moat next to the Tarp and the people in the MOAT were actually giddy that the wave had started. The wave is such an 80's Mets thing it doesnt belong in Yankee Stadium.

  8. #8
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    I always think those waves are started by Mets fans who came to NYS to see a real team play baseball!

  9. #9

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    I get not liking the wave but "disrespectful & sacrilegious at a place like Yankee Stadium" and "it doesnt belong in Yankee Stadium" is laughable. It's a ballpark.

  10. #10
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The Bronx

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    I just hate the damn wave, I think its stupid, yea it looks cool but I came to watch a baseball game not see how many times it makes it across the stadium
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

  11. #11
    NYYF Legend

    4bronxbombers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I get not liking the wave but "disrespectful & sacrilegious at a place like Yankee Stadium" and "it doesnt belong in Yankee Stadium" is laughable. It's a ballpark.
    I agree. Who cares? Some people love it, especially kids.

  12. #12

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I get not liking the wave but "disrespectful & sacrilegious at a place like Yankee Stadium" and "it doesnt belong in Yankee Stadium" is laughable. It's a ballpark.
    Its a ball park not a minor league one that doesnt need a gimmick to keep fans interested. If they are bored they can go do a million other things inside the stadium.

  13. #13
    Devoted Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    LaFayette, NY

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    At OYS it happend a lot less frequentlythen NYS. If it did it was started by a drunk person. there would be a chant "Save the wave for Shea". At NYS it is more frequent due to, as mentioned people that are there for more than the game. Last year I was able to sit down by the moat next to the Tarp and the people in the MOAT were actually giddy that the wave had started. The wave is such an 80's Mets thing it doesnt belong in Yankee Stadium.
    Exactly. Take that crap back to Queens.
    "The saddest thing in life is wasted talent"

  14. #14
    Hacker Bboy500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New York City

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    I just went to Yankee stadium yesterday for the first time with my friend. (As a Yankee fan for a good 10 years, along with my friend)

    We Enjoyed doing the wave (in a blowout 7-0 game by the way) and had a lot of fun with it. It also went around 3 times and got a huge amount of applause. The only reason it died out at all was because we had to stand for the american song. But it seemed like a good 95% of people were doing it, and having fun.

    Now, we also enjoyed the baseball game for the other 2 and a half hours we were there. But just because some fans enjoy doing the wave for 10 minutes shouldn't stop anyone form enjoying the game.

    Don't do it if you don't want to. And yes I enjoy WATCHING baseball and I love the Yankees as anyone else on this forum but you need to realize,

    A. Every person si different.
    B. Baseball (And any sport for that matter) is entertainment. Yes As a hardcore fan of my teams, I take it much more seriously then most people, and it means sooooo much more to me then that. But don't let that get in the way of having fun (or lettings others) when that is exactly what being at the stadium is meant to be. Entertainment + Fun + Fan Interaction.

    Don't see why your all hating on it. At least in yesterdays case were it was a 7-0 game at the time and everyone was just relaxing anyway as there was no way we were about to lose the game with Kuroda/Yankees Bullpen doing so good.

    Edit: I'm turning 20 and my friend is 19 at the moment. If your wondering our age.

  15. #15

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Bboy500 View Post
    B. Baseball (And any sport for that matter) is entertainment.
    If you want baseball for entertainment go to Yankee Stadium. If you want the wave for entertainment, go somewhere else.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

  16. #16
    Hacker Bboy500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New York City

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    If you want baseball for entertainment go to Yankee Stadium. If you want the wave for entertainment, go somewhere else.
    Because you totally just used logic and valid points to disprove me right there.

    Next time me and my friends go back to the Stadium, and many people start the wave (like last night) well be sure to do whatever we end up enjoying.

    We had a lot of fun at the game (and Yankee win) and the wave was part of it. Nothing you can say can disprove this.

    People are different, let people enjoy what they want. All I'm saying is be open minded and chill out a bit. If someone pays 20-300 dollars for tickets and they want to do the wave with the other thousands of people joining in, then let them.

    If it normally goes away like you say, less then a full round around YS. Then ignore it for the 5-10 seconds and nothing will change. You can still watch the game whether people are doing it or not.

  17. #17

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Bboy500 View Post
    Because you totally just used logic and valid points to disprove me right there.

    Next time me and my friends go back to the Stadium, and many people start the wave (like last night) well be sure to do whatever we end up enjoying.

    We had a lot of fun at the game (and Yankee win) and the wave was part of it. Nothing you can say can disprove this.

    People are different, let people enjoy what they want. All I'm saying is be open minded and chill out a bit. If someone pays 20-300 dollars for tickets and they want to do the wave with the other thousands of people joining in, then let them.

    If it normally goes away like you say, less then a full round around YS. Then ignore it for the 5-10 seconds and nothing will change. You can still watch the game whether people are doing it or not.
    Don't mind them. There's a tiny handful of people that post on this forum and especially in Out of Play that believe they have some sort of lock on what a True Yankee Fan™ is allowed to like, do or wear. And it's really serious business!!

  18. #18

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    It's done by all those out-of-town tourists at the game that bought your $75 tickets for $30 on SH.

    kateupton.jpg

  19. #19
    NYYF Cy Young

    BobLoblaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NH

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I get not liking the wave but "disrespectful & sacrilegious at a place like Yankee Stadium" and "it doesnt belong in Yankee Stadium" is laughable. It's a ballpark.
    Yeah, people are weird.

    I didn't know doing the wave took hours of concentration that could have been used instead to watch a ball game...? Like, we are supposed to be the most intelligent species on the planet, yet we can't handle doing both at the same time?
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

  20. #20

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Yeah, people are weird.

    I didn't know doing the wave took hours of concentration that could have been used instead to watch a ball game...? Like, we are supposed to be the most intelligent species on the planet, yet we can't handle doing both at the same time?
    I think the problem is that the wave might distract Nick Swisher, who is more inclined to join in from right field or on the base paths, leading to colossal errors.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

  21. #21
    NYYF Cy Young

    BobLoblaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NH

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    I think the problem is that the wave might distract Nick Swisher, who is more inclined to join in from right field or on the base paths, leading to colossal errors.
    Now that would be entertaining!
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

  22. #22
    NYYF MVP


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bronx

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    If you want baseball for entertainment go to Yankee Stadium. If you want the wave for entertainment, go somewhere else.
    We are talking about something that can only be done in stadiums. Baseball provides the easiest access to such a setting. If people are going to do the wave at all it will be at baseball games.

  23. #23
    Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NJ

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    I just think the wave is stupid and I don't get the appeal at all. Stand up, sit down...wooooo!

    Then again I might be weird because I don't get fireworks either. Once you've seen one fireworks show, you've seen them all. Just because some shows are bigger doesn't make it any more exciting to me.
    2014 - New Team, New Result

    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

  24. #24

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteYankee View Post
    I just think the wave is stupid and I don't get the appeal at all. Stand up, sit down...wooooo!
    They do it in church week after week, that hasn't gotten old since they started the Catholic Church....

    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteYankee View Post
    Then again I might be weird because I don't get fireworks either. Once you've seen one fireworks show, you've seen them all. Just because some shows are bigger doesn't make it any more exciting to me.
    Blasphemy! I cant see enough fireworks. Wish we had them at NYS( just white and blue though).
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

  25. #25
    let's go rangers! Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: The Wave ?? At Yankee Stadium ??

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    I agree. Who cares? Some people love it, especially kids.
    Well I'm not offended by it, but it's ridiculous. And you are free to participate and expect to get mocked. Because I will mock you.
    Boo for trading Prado.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts