+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 375
  1. #101

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    Lin would have been better off taking basically the entire summer trying to field offers from every other team in the league, especially Miami. The only way next season in Houston could be interesting is if Houston somehow acquires Howard and Yao comes out of retirement. Otherwise, Lin will have to hope Jerome Jordan becomes Chandler and Harrelson becomes Novak.

  2. #102
    Win or else BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

  3. #103

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    Knicks at Nets opening first game at Barclays. Gonna be something

  4. #104
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Springfield, IL

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    Howard to the Lakers for Al Harrington and Afflalo, and 3 late first rounders? (Yes, I know Phoenix and the 76ers get and give up parts too, but why would any of those teams do this trade to help the Lakers) WTF.

    Just another reason why college basketball >>>>> NBA.

    Also, i dont know how that package is better than Lopez + Brooks and draft picks that the nets offered up.

  5. #105

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

  6. #106
    NYYF Legend

    Snatch Catch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CA

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by trapper700 View Post
    Howard to the Lakers for Al Harrington and Afflalo, and 3 late first rounders? (Yes, I know Phoenix and the 76ers get and give up parts too, but why would any of those teams do this trade to help the Lakers) WTF.

    Just another reason why college basketball >>>>> NBA.

    Also, i dont know how that package is better than Lopez + Brooks and draft picks that the nets offered up.
    It's infinitely better than the Nets deal because you don't have a thick 7-footer, who's Charmin soft, coming off a season in which he played 5 games because he broke his foot on two separate occassions (an historical kiss of death for big men), locked into $15 million a year for the next 4 years.

    Why the media, and fans in general, can't seem to understand just how much of a negative that aspect of the Nets deal is to a team looking to do a complete rebuild, is baffling to me.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

  7. #107
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Turn my headphones up

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by trapper700 View Post
    Howard to the Lakers for Al Harrington and Afflalo, and 3 late first rounders? (Yes, I know Phoenix and the 76ers get and give up parts too, but why would any of those teams do this trade to help the Lakers) WTF.

    Just another reason why college basketball >>>>> NBA.

    Also, i dont know how that package is better than Lopez + Brooks and draft picks that the nets offered up.
    College bball was definitely better than the NBA 10-15 years ago, but it isn't now. The talent level is much worse, and the good teams get basically blown up and restarted every year, so it isn't until the end of Feb that they learn how to play with each other (if at all). You don't really get to watch talented players grow up and get better anymore since they don't stick around to do it

    Anyway, this does suck for the Magic, but their alternatives sucked too (the worst alternative was going an entire season more with Howard being a douche every single night). I dont feel that the league is really capable of rigging this for the Lakers and not getting caught. I'm just surprised the Magic didn't get rid of more bad contracts

  8. #108
    Big Poppa dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    Being a Lakers fan must be the easiest existence on the planet. Uh oh we havent won a title in 2 very long years...ok lets go get Nash and Howard.

  9. #109
    NYYF Legend

    JfromJersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Old Bridge, NJ

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    Trying to decide what team to hate worse now, the Heat or the Lakers.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

    It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

  10. #110
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Springfield, IL

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    College bball was definitely better than the NBA 10-15 years ago, but it isn't now. The talent level is much worse, and the good teams get basically blown up and restarted every year, so it isn't until the end of Feb that they learn how to play with each other (if at all). You don't really get to watch talented players grow up and get better anymore since they don't stick around to do it
    I disagree. There's always going to be talent, even if they're just around for one year. Look at the Melos, Durants or even Anthony Davis this past year. And there's usually parity, so you never know who is going to win every year. Because even with schools like Kentucky, Duke and UNC, you'll see smaller schools like Butler, Gonzaga, VCU, etc still have a chance to beat those powerhouse schools.

    And college ball has always been more focused on the team anyway, not the individual. They promote the schools/team, not the individuals like they do in the NBA. Then you get each school's/coach's different tendencies and styles, something you don't really see in the NBA. Boeheim's 2-3 zone, Pitino's full court press, Beilien's 1-3-1 zone.

    It seems like every play in the NBA is revolved around isolations and one on one plays for the star players. And a lot of the time it doesn't seem like these stars even love what they do, because you'll have players that are obviously mailing in games and becoming bitchy millionaires, worrying about how many figures their contracts have.

    I guess my point is that just because the talent in the NBA is so much more refined, doesn't necessarily make it a better game. I guess I just happen to prefer a team oriented game. Where the players are giving it their all every year, regardless of whether they'll be the same faces you see the following year. Not a game where players bitch and moan until they get what they want, and mail it in until they do. There's no incentive to lose in college basketball.
    You'll see the players always working hard, because their future shot in the NBA is dependent on it. Once they get there, though, there's no guarantees that they'll care anymore. It happens all the time.

    That said, it was refreshing to see the team oriented basketball that the Spurs played this past season. You really got to see the offense develop, and everyone made the extra pass. Not just the "get the ball to X" offense that basically every other team employs.

  11. #111
    NYYF Triple Crown

    CyYoung4Vazquez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    UES

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    Well the Knicks signed Jason Kidd AND Marcus Camby. Woohoo.


  12. #112
    Big Poppa dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post
    Trying to decide what team to hate worse now, the Heat or the Lakers.
    I feel real bad for OKC. Here's a team thats done things the right way...build thru the draft and smart trades like getting Perkins. They've gotten progressively better and taken steps forward each of the last few years. Now all of a sudden, here's the Lakers pulling Nash and Howard out of their ass just like that.

  13. #113
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Springfield, IL

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    I feel real bad for OKC. Here's a team thats done things the right way...build thru the draft and smart trades like getting Perkins. They've gotten progressively better and taken steps forward each of the last few years. Now all of a sudden, here's the Lakers pulling Nash and Howard out of their ass just like that.
    I still think the Thunder match up incredibly well with the Lakers. I don't think the Lakers have anyone that can stop Westbrook or Durant. They haven't addressed their 2 biggest problems: perimeter defense and their godawful bench.

  14. #114
    Big Poppa dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    I feel even worse for Magic fans. They didnt get Gasol or Bynum. They didnt shed Turkoglu's contract. They only remotely interesting piece they got back was Afflalo and he's not a difference maker. And the picks they got back wont be franchise altering.

    Ummm..wtf? How do the Lakers keep pulling off these deals, and how do these other GM's getting rooked into making them? They somehow convinced the Suns to trade the best player in team history inside the division. They somehow got Memphis to give them Gasol for basically nothing. Orlando would have been better off telling Dwight to STFU, let him play out the year and letting him walk.

    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8254854/mailbag

  15. #115
    Big Poppa dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by trapper700 View Post
    I still think the Thunder match up incredibly well with the Lakers. I don't think the Lakers have anyone that can stop Westbrook or Durant. They haven't addressed their 2 biggest problems: perimeter defense and their godawful bench.
    On the other side, LA can dominate OKC and Miami inside. Its gonna be somewhat amusing watching Chris Bosh and Joel Anthony try to deal with Gasol and Howard in the paint.

  16. #116
    NYYF Legend

    SLURPEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    Too bad Howard didn't want the Thunder. And the Thunder are cheap...

    Imagine Howard on the Thunder. lmao

    On another note, the NBA is becoming less and less exciting for me.

  17. #117
    NYYF Legend

    Snatch Catch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CA

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    I actually give LA a ton of credit here, because they held on to Bynum through multiple moments where it seemed they could use him as a piece in a deal that most people thought "why the hell are they holding onto injury-prone and under-acheiving Bynum when _______ is available?!?"

    They waited the development curve out on him, eventually reaped excellent production from him, and sold at an amazing peak. That's the most under-reported aspect of this whole Howard to the Lakers deal. The Lakers didn't get lucky nearly as much as they completely created this opportunity for themselves through their often maligned handling of Bynum's career.

    Bynum was the perpetual mentioned-in-a-trade-for-every-big-name-on-the-market, and he was always being overvalued in those discussions. Given his chronic injuries and attitude, it was baffling at times when we always heard "He's Buss' pet project so he's not getting dealt for Carmelo/etc/etc". Man, those decisions look brilliant right about now.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

  18. #118

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by trapper700 View Post
    I still think the Thunder match up incredibly well with the Lakers. I don't think the Lakers have anyone that can stop Westbrook or Durant. They haven't addressed their 2 biggest problems: perimeter defense and their godawful bench.
    Bench is overrated. Yes, you will get a game here or there when a bench guy really helps you but for the most part, your starting 5 is king.

    You win titles when you put HOF'ers ( the right ones ) on the court.


    Like Snatch kinda said, all credit to our guys. I dont think there has been a better FO over the past 10 years than our guys. Especially when you consider the spotlight and constant need to contend.
    Simmons alluded to it in his article. The Shaq trade was the start...if we chose him over Kobe, we'd be toast right about now. At the time, Mitch was getting killed for that, even got booed at the 1985 Title team reunion. But he stayed firm and pretty much turned around his entire career.

    The Gasol trade. That previous summer, Indiana wanted Odom and Bynum for JO...Minny wanted the same for Garnett ( even though he didnt really want us ). You stand firm and ultimately get your reward ( fortunate as it was ).
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

  19. #119
    Big Poppa dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    Bench is overrated. Yes, you will get a game here or there when a bench guy really helps you but for the most part, your starting 5 is king.

    You win titles when you put HOF'ers ( the right ones ) on the court.


    Like Snatch kinda said, all credit to our guys. I dont think there has been a better FO over the past 10 years than our guys. Especially when you consider the spotlight and constant need to contend.
    Simmons alluded to it in his article. The Shaq trade was the start...if we chose him over Kobe, we'd be toast right about now. At the time, Mitch was getting killed for that, even got booed at the 1985 Title team reunion. But he stayed firm and pretty much turned around his entire career.

    The Gasol trade. That previous summer, Indiana wanted Odom and Bynum for JO...Minny wanted the same for Garnett ( even though he didnt really want us ). You stand firm and ultimately get your reward ( fortunate as it was ).
    Yeah basically what it comes down to....is almost every NBA GM is a complete idiot and LA's FO isnt. I still cant believe the Magic accepted this deal. I feel like an 8 year old could have negotiated a better trade. It really is amazing how incompetent many NBA GM's are, and I remain clueless as to how they keep their jobs because all they do is ruin their teams.

  20. #120
    Big Poppa dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    The more I dissect this trade...the more confused I get as to why Orlando would agree to it. Its historically bad. They literally got nothing positive out of it. LA, and to a lesser degree Philly and Denver all are laughing hysterically at the Magic.

  21. #121
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Turn my headphones up

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by trapper700 View Post
    I disagree. There's always going to be talent, even if they're just around for one year. Look at the Melos, Durants or even Anthony Davis this past year. And there's usually parity, so you never know who is going to win every year. Because even with schools like Kentucky, Duke and UNC, you'll see smaller schools like Butler, Gonzaga, VCU, etc still have a chance to beat those powerhouse schools.

    And college ball has always been more focused on the team anyway, not the individual. They promote the schools/team, not the individuals like they do in the NBA. Then you get each school's/coach's different tendencies and styles, something you don't really see in the NBA. Boeheim's 2-3 zone, Pitino's full court press, Beilien's 1-3-1 zone.

    It seems like every play in the NBA is revolved around isolations and one on one plays for the star players. And a lot of the time it doesn't seem like these stars even love what they do, because you'll have players that are obviously mailing in games and becoming bitchy millionaires, worrying about how many figures their contracts have.

    I guess my point is that just because the talent in the NBA is so much more refined, doesn't necessarily make it a better game. I guess I just happen to prefer a team oriented game. Where the players are giving it their all every year, regardless of whether they'll be the same faces you see the following year. Not a game where players bitch and moan until they get what they want, and mail it in until they do. There's no incentive to lose in college basketball.
    You'll see the players always working hard, because their future shot in the NBA is dependent on it. Once they get there, though, there's no guarantees that they'll care anymore. It happens all the time.

    That said, it was refreshing to see the team oriented basketball that the Spurs played this past season. You really got to see the offense develop, and everyone made the extra pass. Not just the "get the ball to X" offense that basically every other team employs.

    I think this is mostly nostalgia talking. College basketball is still great, but making an argument that the talent level is the same as it used to be makes no sense. Did Durant and Anthony Davis play one year? sure. But it means there is only 1-2 years of top tier talent, instead of 3-4 years of it playing at the same time. And there is no debating that.

    (And these talented players tend to get better in the 3rd/4th years that they don't play in college anymore, so you are missing that as well)

    I do like the team urgency/energy/style of play in college, but seriously, for half the season the level of play isn't great, it really does take until the end of conf play for most of these talented teams to gel

    Additionally, in the past 6 or 7 years the NBA has seen some much more interesting teams form and have great runs. The Thunder, Nash/Amare Suns, and Spurs of the past 2 years are the best examples, but the Nuggets, Celtics, Grizzlies, and even Lakers (and others) are all fun to watch and have a good combination of team dynamics and stars. The Knicks even had a fun good-team-feeling run with Jeremy Lin

    The NCAA will always have that scrappy underdog-ish advantage of it being passionate kids playing for fun instead of pros playing for a paycheck, but i think it's lost ground in the other areas that used to make it better

  22. #122
    Win or else BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    The more I dissect this trade...the more confused I get as to why Orlando would agree to it. Its historically bad. They literally got nothing positive out of it. LA, and to a lesser degree Philly and Denver all are laughing hysterically at the Magic.
    The Magic are a snakebit franchise.

    They saw Shaq leave Orlando to join the Lakers and win a title there. Can Dwight Howard be the next one?
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

  23. #123

  24. #124
    Win or else BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

  25. #125
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

    http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...l-time-move-on

    Dwight Howard is a really, really, really sensitive dude.
    Attention Steinbrenner and front-office morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is George Costanza. I fear no reprisal. Extension 5-1-7-0.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts