+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: The Newsroom on HBO

Renewed for a second season
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    I don't agree with it. This generation has never crippled the economy or started a world war, and it's far less prejudiced than any generation prior. The only people who think the current generation is the worst are "get off my lawn" types who don't want to have to take any responsibility for the system that they broke. The baby boomer generation has definitely done exponentially more harm to American society than the current generation is likely to do.

Edit: I see that this has been brought up already. The point is, there is no generation that has shown more hubris or a sense of entitlement than the Baby Boomers. They benefited from a strong economy, ruined it, and are blaming lazy kids who don't want to work for leftover scraps? I'm sorry, no. I work as harder than my father and grandfather did, and despite being outstanding at my job, I continue to make dramatically less than many of my older co-workers who are less than half as productive as I am, simply because they have "seniority." We aren't entitled because we don't want to float your laziness. We're apathetic? We're apathetic because the system has ignored us. There isn't a political party for me. The Democrats are slightly less right-wing than the Republicans. Meanwhile, I'm a second-class citizen because I was born attracted to the wrong gender, not to mention all of the people who won't accept me because of my skin color. I grew up in abject poverty, worked my tail off to get scholarships to a good college, worked my tail off there to graduate magna cum laude, and I'm lazy and apathetic? The problem is that the baby boomers are used to having whatever they want, and now that there isn't enough to go around, their only concern is "I've got mine."

That being said, it was perfectly appropriate that McAvoy, a rich Republican who is supported by far less well-paid and younger subordinates who work a lot harder than he does, would feel the way that he does about youth.
    I loved McAvoy's speech in the show and I do feel like the current generation is very entitled. My wife is a HS teacher in the suburbs and so many of her kids just think that because they're American and white they don't have to work for anything. It's disgusting.

But, I also totally agree with Reno's sentiment. The current generation (I'll include people born since 1980) may be entitled and spoiled, but we aren't the worst. That distinction does go to the baby boomers who have taken the torch from the Greatest Generation and in the span of 25 years let it go out due to their own hubris and self-entitled me first attitude.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I loved McAvoy's speech in the show and I do feel like the current generation is very entitled. My wife is a HS teacher in the suburbs and so many of her kids just think that because they're American and white they don't have to work for anything. It's disgusting.

But, I also totally agree with Reno's sentiment. The current generation (I'll include people born since 1980) may be entitled and spoiled, but we aren't the worst. That distinction does go to the baby boomers who have taken the torch from the Greatest Generation and in the span of 25 years let it go out due to their own hubris and self-entitled me first attitude.
    To be fair, I'm pretty sure everyone on the planet -- and, in general, every generation -- is egotistical.

NYYF Legend

Well, there we go. The Newsroom has found its' voice.

I thought that third episode tonight was, far and away, the best episode of the series. The storytelling was really, really good, it moved much better, and really found its voice.

Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post

I thought that third episode tonight was, far and away, the best episode of the series. The storytelling was really, really good, it moved much better, and really found its voice.
    I agree that the third episode was far and away better than the first two. I'm still a bit disappointed that Sorkin's going with the extremely trite love triangle story with Maggie and Jim, but whatever. That's just such an overdone story, and there seems like there's going to be no variation in its telling here. Waterston is becoming more interesting. The other lesser characters, not so much.

Even though some of those things are still not working, in my mind, this episode flowed a whole lot better than the first two, and was very good. At this point, though, I think those who are arguing a liberal slant on the show have a lot more ammunition to work with. I'm a lot more optimistic about the future of the show after that episode than I was last week.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post

Jane Fonda kicked ass in that episode.
    Currently building my Man-cave-a for Mancada's arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I agree that the third episode was far and away better than the first two. I'm still a bit disappointed that Sorkin's going with the extremely trite love triangle story with Maggie and Jim, but whatever. That's just such an overdone story, and there seems like there's going to be no variation in its telling here. Waterston is becoming more interesting. The other lesser characters, not so much.

Even though some of those things are still not working, in my mind, this episode flowed a whole lot better than the first two, and was very good. At this point, though, I think those who are arguing a liberal slant on the show have a lot more ammunition to work with. I'm a lot more optimistic about the future of the show after that episode than I was last week.
    To be fair, if you're not going to have a love triangle than there's really no point to having those characters at all. Every TV show has a love triangle at some point.

To be fair, if you're not going to have a love triangle than there's really no point to having those characters at all. Every TV show has a love triangle at some point.
    I think seeing Maggie try to cope with her rapidly increasing responsibilities and panic attacks could be more interesting. I'm fine with a love triangle, but I just think that this specific love triangle story is so overdone. I mean, it's basically:

1. You have the nice guy, the nice girl, and the dickish boyfriend. It is always abundantly clear from moment one that nice girl and nice guy are a nice match, while nice girl and dickish boyfriend don't work, since dickish boyfriend is dickish, and nice girl is too nice and trusting, allowing dickish boyfriend to take advantage of her trust and niceness.

2. Dickish boyfriend must be dickish, but not ridiculously overly dickish, so that nice girl's sense of misguided loyalty doesn't seem totally out of place or make you think significantly less of her. In addition, dickish boyfriend is always very good at making nice after he's screwed up. Nice girl is always willing to accept his making nice, since she tries to only see his good parts and think the best of people (which we really never see, if they do in fact exist)

3. Nice guy is always too nice and respectful of nice girl's relationship with dickish boyfriend to just make a real move already, though he is always there for her when she needs him. In fact, nice guy almost always helps nice girl in her relationship with dickish boyfriend, since he is unselfish and wants to be a good friend. (we saw this one last night) Nice guy's favorite hobby is gazing longingly at nice girl, especially when she is with dickish boyfriend. Eventually, nice girl will likely gaze longingly at nice guy as she starts to realize that her relationship with dickish boyfriend just isn't working, but nice guy will be looking down and working or will be otherwise occupied doing something other than gazing longingly at nice girl. Now viewer sees that nice girl is starting to get it through her head that nice guy would be better for her.

4. Countless false starts of a breakup/chance for nice guy, which quickly become eye-roll worthy. We've already seen two or three of these on The Newsroom in the course of three episodes. There have already been two times where nice guy is literally walking to make a move on nice girl and is literally cut off by dickish boyfriend at the last second. In three episodes!

5. Eventually, dickish boyfriend does or says something bad enough or screws up one too many times, leading nice girl to finally dump him for good.

6. Yay! Go nice girl! Maybe you should have figured that out 10 episodes ago.

7. Nice guy is there to comfort nice girl, who is immediately aware of how blind she has been, sticking with dickish boyfriend while nice guy was there for her all along.

8. Nice girl and nice guy get together, generally extremely quickly.

9. Yay! Go nice girl and nice guy!

That's always how it goes with this particular story. I'd be shocked if there's a single thing in those nine points that doesn't happen in this storyline. It's just a matter of how quickly. I wish they'd just skip to 9 and we could see what happens from there. If you're going to use that story, at least mix it up a little somehow. There are plenty of other ways, too. What if there's actually some question as to which one is better for her? Is that illegal or something? I don't mind a good love triangle story, but this one is just so predictable it's painful.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

Haha well done. You just summed up the first 4 1/2 years of the Office...which did that story line better than any other show I can think of.

You're right. There should/could be wrinkles thrown in. I haven't seen episode 3 yet so I don't know if it was answered, but isn't dickish boyfriend leaving to work on another show? If so how are they keeping him around News Night offices?

Haha well done. You just summed up the first 4 1/2 years of the Office...which did that story line better than any other show I can think of.

You're right. There should/could be wrinkles thrown in. I haven't seen episode 3 yet so I don't know if it was answered, but isn't dickish boyfriend leaving to work on another show? If so how are they keeping him around News Night offices?
    The Office certainly didn't create it, but they did it well (though it went on way too long), and this is reminding me at every turn of that. I mean, nice guy's name is even Jim! Come on! Dickish boyfriend is still kind of around, but I think he's going to be around since the other show is in the same building and is the follow-up to News Night, so he'll still have access to her at the office and a reason to be there at times, just not as much as nice guy does. Kind of like how if nice guy was a salesman in the office that nice girl was a secretary and dickish boyfriend worked in the warehouse for the same company. A hypothetical example, of course.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

The Office certainly didn't create it, but they did it well, and this is reminding me at every turn of that. I mean, nice guy's name is even Jim! Come on! Dickish boyfriend is still kind of around, but I think he's going to be around since the other show is in the same building and is the follow-up to News Night, so he'll still have access to her at the office, just not as much as nice guy does. Kind of like how if nice guy was a salesman in the office that nice girl was a secretary and dickish boyfriend worked in the warehouse for the same company. A hypothetical example, of course.
    I think we can all agree that Pam is a much better catch than Maggie and her fivehead.

I think we can all agree that Pam is a much better catch than Maggie and her fivehead.
    I certainly hope we can all agree on that.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

Fairly good episode tonight, I thought. Still kind of disappointed at the love triangle, though Don became a bit more interesting. Charlie becomes more and more interesting as well. I thought the Bigfoot stuff was stupid and unnecessary and not even very funny. Hopefully that dies a quick death.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

Fairly good episode tonight, I thought. Still kind of disappointed at the love triangle, though Don became a bit more interesting. Charlie becomes more and more interesting as well. I thought the Bigfoot stuff was stupid and unnecessary and not even very funny. Hopefully that dies a quick death.
    The Giffords stuff was really powerful. Jim's "Head's up!" as the news is breaking was really powerful to me.

Very good episode. Some of the writing is a little predictable, just because of how much Sorkin's work I've seen, but I still found it enjoyable.

NYYF Legend

Don You're a f****n NEWSMAN, and if I EVER tell you differently I want you to PUNCH Me in the FACE!
    Currently building my Man-cave-a for Mancada's arrival.

Enjoying the series so far. I will admit that after the first post of this thread I was ready not to try it at all.

Then I had to work most of the weekend in front of my PC. So I set up HBO GO, and watched some things while working.. Enjoyed it a lot.

I think it's funny that just like The West Wing, Charlie is my favorite character.

and yes, i get West Wing flashbacks all the time watching this. It's over-the-top Sorkin.
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bozidar View Post
    Enjoying the series so far. I will admit that after the first post of this thread I was ready not to try it at all.

Then I had to work most of the weekend in front of my PC. So I set up HBO GO, and watched some things while working.. Enjoyed it a lot.

I think it's funny that just like The West Wing, Charlie is my favorite character.

and yes, i get West Wing flashbacks all the time watching this. It's over-the-top Sorkin.
    Yes, yes it is. But, I enjoy his work too much to be annoyed by it.

I didn't watch West Wing, but I loved Sports Night and this leans heavily on that as well, right down to the anchor/exec. producer will they/won't they, grumpy yet awesome boss and young producers falling in love.

Quote Originally Posted by bcom33 View Post
    Don You're a f****n NEWSMAN, and if I EVER tell you differently I want you to PUNCH Me in the FACE!
    I absolutely loved that scene.

I hated that closing montage with Coldplay 'Fix You'. The scene where Jeff erupted was great, made me think of Dumb & Dumber. 'No food, no jobs.. our pets heads are falling off!' ... even though Jim was the one who said that line..

So the love triangle storyline is more complicated than I originally figured, so consider me wrong on that one. I think the supporting characters are starting to come into their own nicely.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

NYYF MVP

Great series and great character development over the course of the season. Olivia Munn's portrayal stands out as well as Sam Waterston's. She has some of the best lines in any given episode. I too, thought of the Jim/Pam/Ray triangle, with Maggie/Jim/Don, really expected a different result. The SATC tie in was quite comical when it could have been gratuitious..

Jeff Daniels was terrific playing a flawed character such as Will McAvoy. He nailed it. Jane Fonda was great too, and she was cast correctly in that role. Nice to watch intelligent drama on TV that entertains, makes you think, and laugh all at the same time.
    Powerpinstripes-LL-K's18CA-06/17/78

The finale was the best episode all season, too.

NYYF Legend

Is anyone else watching Season 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    Is anyone else watching Season 2?
    I ended up not finishing Season 1. I just couldn't get into it as much as I'd hoped, which was sad because on paper it looked like it was pretty much a show written for me.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

Thread Information