+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 110
  1. #26

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    Quote Originally Posted by TheYankee View Post
    lol. That was one of my favorite jabs. One I happen to agree with, largely.
    On what basis? The generation he was talking to (college kids) has voted in - maybe - one election cycle.

  2. #27
    NYYF Legend

    ZYanksRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Port Chester, NY

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dalkowski View Post
    On what basis? The generation he was talking to (college kids) has voted in - maybe - one election cycle.
    I'm part of that generation, and I agree with the line wholeheartedly.


  3. #28

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    I'm part of that generation, and I agree with the line wholeheartedly.
    OK, then maybe you could answer my question...

  4. #29
    NYYF Legend

    bcom33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Exiled to Connecticut

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dalkowski View Post
    OK, then maybe you could answer my question...
    Yes, please, because it seems to me that previous generations are screwing everything up for ours...but, we're pretty much awesome enough to be able to clean it all up...hopefully.
    Currently building my Man-cave-a for Mancada's arrival.

  5. #30
    NYYF Legend

    ZYanksRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Port Chester, NY

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dalkowski View Post
    On what basis? The generation he was talking to (college kids) has voted in - maybe - one election cycle.
    I just think it's the most apathetic generation. It's a generation that gets offended, says its offended, then goes back to its iPhones after voicing quick displeasure. Too many kids think the world was built around them, that they have the right to do things they shouldn't. Too many people my age have absolutely no work ethic. I work with a couple people my age, and I just don't see a good work ethic. I see people that just do enough to grab their paycheck, but too many just don't appear to have aspirations of bigger and better things. Or, they do, but they don't want to put the work in to get to the bigger and better things.

    Those are just a few of my reasons.


  6. #31
    NYYF MVP

    Tyler Durden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The CT/MA Border, aka Pink Sox Territory

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    That scene would've had more of an impact had Jeff Daniels' character accepted some responsibility on behalf of his generation for the way things are and how we got here, in addition to his disagreeable critique of this generation.

    Instead, the writers decided to pander to the anger of the aging Boomer and Gen-Xer demographic by shifting the blame for the world's problems entirely to the youth, which is nothing new.

    As a result, that scene comes across to me more like the rantings of a bitter old man ("these kids today", "get off my lawn", etc.) than that of poignant social commentary.
    28 in 2014

  7. #32
    NYYF Legend

    TheYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Where am I?

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dalkowski View Post
    On what basis? The generation he was talking to (college kids) has voted in - maybe - one election cycle.
    First, the generation he's talking too is larger than that. The generation in college is also the generation shortly removed from college (me, who's 26, for instance, and have voted in multiple elections.)

    Second, I completely agree my generation is what's wrong with this country. Not the only thing, but a large part of it. Our generation thinks we should be able to work less, for more money, and need our ego's stroked constantly to tell us how "special" we are. Am I speaking in broad strokes? Yeah, I am. Maybe I'll elaborate more later when I have some time.

  8. #33
    NYYF Legend

    TheYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Where am I?

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    I just think it's the most apathetic generation. It's a generation that gets offended, says its offended, then goes back to its iPhones after voicing quick displeasure. Too many kids think the world was built around them, that they have the right to do things they shouldn't. Too many people my age have absolutely no work ethic. I work with a couple people my age, and I just don't see a good work ethic. I see people that just do enough to grab their paycheck, but too many just don't appear to have aspirations of bigger and better things. Or, they do, but they don't want to put the work in to get to the bigger and better things.

    Those are just a few of my reasons.
    This.

  9. #34

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    Quote Originally Posted by TheYankee View Post
    Second, I completely agree my generation is what's wrong with this country. Not the only thing, but a large part of it. Our generation thinks we should be able to work less, for more money, and need our ego's stroked constantly to tell us how "special" we are. Am I speaking in broad strokes? Yeah, I am. Maybe I'll elaborate more later when I have some time.
    You just described the Baby Boomers.

    The difference? The Boomers have been in charge for decades, and are the ones who have made many of the decisions that have brought us to where we are now.

    Exactly what has our generation done to date that has so damaged the country?

  10. #35
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    What's going on with the SCOTUS today will make a great season 3 episode.

  11. #36
    NYYF Legend

    bcom33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Exiled to Connecticut

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dalkowski View Post
    You just described the Baby Boomers.

    The difference? The Boomers have been in charge for decades, and are the ones who have made many of the decisions that have brought us to where we are now.

    Exactly what has our generation done to date that has so damaged the country?
    This.
    Currently building my Man-cave-a for Mancada's arrival.

  12. #37

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    Quote Originally Posted by TheYankee View Post
    lol. That was one of my favorite jabs. One I happen to agree with, largely.
    I don't agree with it. This generation has never crippled the economy or started a world war, and it's far less prejudiced than any generation prior. The only people who think the current generation is the worst are "get off my lawn" types who don't want to have to take any responsibility for the system that they broke. The baby boomer generation has definitely done exponentially more harm to American society than the current generation is likely to do.

    Edit: I see that this has been brought up already. The point is, there is no generation that has shown more hubris or a sense of entitlement than the Baby Boomers. They benefited from a strong economy, ruined it, and are blaming lazy kids who don't want to work for leftover scraps? I'm sorry, no. I work as harder than my father and grandfather did, and despite being outstanding at my job, I continue to make dramatically less than many of my older co-workers who are less than half as productive as I am, simply because they have "seniority." We aren't entitled because we don't want to float your laziness. We're apathetic? We're apathetic because the system has ignored us. There isn't a political party for me. The Democrats are slightly less right-wing than the Republicans. Meanwhile, I'm a second-class citizen because I was born attracted to the wrong gender, not to mention all of the people who won't accept me because of my skin color. I grew up in abject poverty, worked my tail off to get scholarships to a good college, worked my tail off there to graduate magna cum laude, and I'm lazy and apathetic? The problem is that the baby boomers are used to having whatever they want, and now that there isn't enough to go around, their only concern is "I've got mine."

    That being said, it was perfectly appropriate that McAvoy, a rich Republican who is supported by far less well-paid and younger subordinates who work a lot harder than he does, would feel the way that he does about youth.
    Last edited by RenoHightower; 06-28-12 at 05:46 PM.

  13. #38
    NYYF Legend

    RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Manchester, NJ

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    If you dislike this generation, blame the people who raised them.

  14. #39
    NYYF Legend

    TheYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Where am I?

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    I don't agree with it. This generation has never crippled the economy or started a world war, and it's far less prejudiced than any generation prior. The only people who think the current generation is the worst are "get off my lawn" types who don't want to have to take any responsibility for the system that they broke.
    That argument would work if, ya know, I wasn't 26.

  15. #40
    NYYF Legend

    TheYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Where am I?

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post

    That being said, it was perfectly appropriate that McAvoy, a rich Republican who is supported by far less well-paid and younger subordinates who work a lot harder than he does, would feel the way that he does about youth.


    And this, right here, is an example of why I think our generation is a big problem. They see those who are rich and in the position they are as folks who work "less hard" than their subordinates.

    It's JUST NOT FAIR! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

  16. #41

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    Quote Originally Posted by TheYankee View Post


    And this, right here, is an example of why I think our generation is a big problem. They see those who are rich and in the position they are as folks who work "less hard" than their subordinates.

    It's JUST NOT FAIR! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    Did you watch the show? Everyone else is running around losing their minds trying to put together a show for him, and he's sitting in his office yelling at people while collecting so much money that he can throw $3,000,000 away.

    But, whatever man. Way to be edgy. Maybe you're a lazy, entitled brat. I don't know. That's on you. I'm not, and my friends aren't. And yes, I work with a lot of 50-70 year olds who collect huge paychecks and contribute very little. I don't see them as working less hard, I watch them work less hard. My father was a lazy drug addict, and I never met his father because he died in jail when I was three. I worked my ass off, got a full scholarship to an Ivy League school, and have continued to work my ass off.

  17. #42

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    TY still hasn't offered an explanation for how the Millennials have done so much more harm to this country than the Boomers have.

  18. #43
    NYYF Cy Young

    BobLoblaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NH

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    I don't agree with it. This generation has never crippled the economy or started a world war, and it's far less prejudiced than any generation prior. The only people who think the current generation is the worst are "get off my lawn" types who don't want to have to take any responsibility for the system that they broke. The baby boomer generation has definitely done exponentially more harm to American society than the current generation is likely to do.

    Edit: I see that this has been brought up already. The point is, there is no generation that has shown more hubris or a sense of entitlement than the Baby Boomers. They benefited from a strong economy, ruined it, and are blaming lazy kids who don't want to work for leftover scraps? I'm sorry, no. I work as harder than my father and grandfather did, and despite being outstanding at my job, I continue to make dramatically less than many of my older co-workers who are less than half as productive as I am, simply because they have "seniority." We aren't entitled because we don't want to float your laziness. We're apathetic? We're apathetic because the system has ignored us. There isn't a political party for me. The Democrats are slightly less right-wing than the Republicans. Meanwhile, I'm a second-class citizen because I was born attracted to the wrong gender, not to mention all of the people who won't accept me because of my skin color. I grew up in abject poverty, worked my tail off to get scholarships to a good college, worked my tail off there to graduate magna cum laude, and I'm lazy and apathetic? The problem is that the baby boomers are used to having whatever they want, and now that there isn't enough to go around, their only concern is "I've got mine."

    That being said, it was perfectly appropriate that McAvoy, a rich Republican who is supported by far less well-paid and younger subordinates who work a lot harder than he does, would feel the way that he does about youth.
    I agree with all of this.

    The Baby Boomer generation really sucks, tbh.
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

  19. #44
    Call now. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    The trainwreck interview segment was hilarious tonight. I thought the rest of the show was kind of up and down, though probably more up than down. I'm hoping it hits its stride in the coming weeks, because I think the pieces are there. Unfortunately, I think the pieces could easily become unglued, too, if a couple of things aren't handled right.

    At some point I think they're going to have to start focusing on the staff a bit more, because I think that with the exception of Maggie and Jim, they're all fairly underdeveloped and uninteresting, as the show has been mostly focused on developing Will and Mackenzie, which I suppose is okay this early, but in a show focused around the inner workings of a newsroom, I think the range of interesting characters is going to have to be greater in order to sustain the show in the long run. Even Maggie and Jim, while better developed as characters than their co-workers, don't seem all that interesting to me yet (especially Jim), and their storyline seems to have boarded the one way nonstop train to Clicheville.
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    RIP, Pete.

  20. #45

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    So contrived. So forced. So pretentious.


  21. #46
    Call now. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    So contrived. So forced. So pretentious.
    What makes you say that (especially the first two) about this as opposed to anything else Sorkin has done?
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    RIP, Pete.

  22. #47
    NYYF Legend

    ZYanksRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Port Chester, NY

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    The trainwreck interview segment was hilarious tonight. I thought the rest of the show was kind of up and down, though probably more up than down. I'm hoping it hits its stride in the coming weeks, because I think the pieces are there. Unfortunately, I think the pieces could easily become unglued, too, if a couple of things aren't handled right.

    At some point I think they're going to have to start focusing on the staff a bit more, because I think that with the exception of Maggie and Jim, they're all fairly underdeveloped and uninteresting, as the show has been mostly focused on developing Will and Mackenzie, which I suppose is okay this early, but in a show focused around the inner workings of a newsroom, I think the range of interesting characters is going to have to be greater in order to sustain the show in the long run. Even Maggie and Jim, while better developed as characters than their co-workers, don't seem all that interesting to me yet (especially Jim), and their storyline seems to have boarded the one way nonstop train to Clicheville.
    There's a lot of Sorkin in this show, though, which gives me hope. The West Wing was so good because we cared about the characters, but there were only a few main characters in that show. I feel like this show has too many characters. If they can find a way to only focus on, say, five people -- Maggie, Jim, Will, MacKenzie, and maybe one other person, it'll be better. Right now, there's just too many characters to follow.

    Still, I'm looking forward to watching this show again next week. It has a lot of potential.


  23. #48

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    What makes you say that (especially the first two) about this as opposed to anything else Sorkin has done?
    I just think that the typical dialogue between Sorkin's characters - those snappy comebacks - is way overdone on this show. I'm talking about those "witty" comebacks that you wish you would have used in a debate or argument, only you thought about them a day or two (or year) later. It seems that Sorkin and the writers have a collection of these comebacks that they use ad nauseum throughout their projects and this show gets a chock full of them. Nobody talks (actually Sorkin characters don't talk, they patter), in this manner; it's just way too over the top, forced and sometimes cringe-worthy in all its pretentious "cleverness."

    For example, the cutesy, never-ending, "witty" dialogue..err, "patter" between Will and Mac, just doesn't end. Just when you think they are wrapping it up it continues on...and on....and on.

    I suppose that I'm also somewhat tiring of Sorkin's lectures and self-righteousness and this show may be the last straw. I don't necessarily oppose some of his political views, but enough already. This may have been bearable in The West Wing and other works, but, thus far, The Newsroom isn't nearly as entertaining enough to hold my interest.


  24. #49
    Call now. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    I just think that the typical dialogue between Sorkin's characters - those snappy comebacks - is way overdone on this show. I'm talking about those "witty" comebacks that you wish you would have used in a debate or argument, only you thought about them a day or two (or year) later. It seems that Sorkin and the writers have a collection of these comebacks that they use ad nauseum throughout their projects and this show gets a chock full of them. Nobody talks (actually Sorkin characters don't talk, they patter), in this manner; it's just way too over the top, forced and sometimes cringe-worthy in all its pretentious "cleverness."

    For example, the cutesy, never-ending, "witty" dialogue..err, "patter" between Will and Mac, just doesn't end. Just when you think they are wrapping it up it continues on...and on....and on.

    I suppose that I'm also somewhat tiring of Sorkin's lectures and self-righteousness and this show may be the last straw. I don't necessarily oppose some of his political views, but enough already. This may have been bearable in The West Wing and other works, but The Newsroom isn't nearly as entertaining to hold my interest.
    I don't think the dialogue/snappy comebacks aspect is any more used than in your average Sorkin show. Maybe I can see it being a LITTLE more used, but I think Sorkin has always been very heavy on that. As for the political views, I've been surprised by the lack of them in the show so far. There are plenty of statements about the media, but at least so far, I don't think the message is overwhelmingly liberal or conservative.
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    RIP, Pete.

  25. #50
    Call now. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The Newsroom on HBO

    Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    There's a lot of Sorkin in this show, though, which gives me hope. The West Wing was so good because we cared about the characters, but there were only a few main characters in that show. I feel like this show has too many characters. If they can find a way to only focus on, say, five people -- Maggie, Jim, Will, MacKenzie, and maybe one other person, it'll be better. Right now, there's just too many characters to follow.

    Still, I'm looking forward to watching this show again next week. It has a lot of potential.
    I don't know if 5 is enough for a show like this. I mean in the West Wing you had Barlett, Leo, CJ, Toby, Josh, Sam, and Charlie, which is seven, plus a host of others who were somewhat secondary but who were in plenty of episodes, like Donna. I think my problem is that the only people in the show so far that I find interesting at all are Will, MacKenzie, and Maggie. As for Maggie, I think her attempts at coping with her unexpectedly rapidly increasing responsibilities could potentially be very interesting, but as I said, it's very clear she's going to basically be stuck in the Jim/Pam from The Office storyline with her show's Jim (literally.) There are plenty of characters running around, but very few of them are interesting, and interesting characters are the most important thing. Luckily, the leads are interesting, but they can't be the only interesting ones if the show's going to work in the long run.
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    RIP, Pete.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 3 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts