+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dempster or Garza? (mod)

keep hearing things abot the NYY being interested in one of the chi cubs SP either Garza or Ryan DUMPSTER which would you prefer we go after im more of a depending on the price i would prefer dempster as he misses bats, and only has a 7.5% HR/FB rate whil Garza is more likely to give up some big flys in our stadium with an atrocious 14.3% HR/FB which is risky with an NL GUY COMING INTO THE AL witth no easy outs in lineups again i hop cashman doesnt even think about this rout unless we can get it done cheap!
    If the numbers were right i'd bet on the weather.

NYYF Legend

Re: dumpster or GARZA??

There's a good thread here for trade rumors. Your post would work there:
    http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...e-Trade-Rumors...

Garza has spent most of his career in the AL, so I wouldn't be concerned with him switching leagues. I would certainly prefer him to Dempster.

Regardless, our rotation is dealing right now. Unless someone suddenly falls off, I don't see a need to add a starter.

Garza did well when he played in the AL East. He's not just an NL guy. And Wrigley is almost as hard to keep fly balls in the park as YS is for left handers. Considering he has an outstanding WHIP and DOM I think he's damn good. Just not pitching on the right nights.

Not that I'm saying we should go after Garza but he is a good pitcher and has already proven that in the AL East.

As for Dempster I think he's a hard luck pitcher. I think he is very good, but like Garza pitches on the wrong nights. But pitching for the Cubs, every night is the wrong night.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Once upon a time, name changes like Fairytek or....Dumpster were against community standards. I don't know if that's still the case, but they're rarely clever.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Once upon a time, name changes like Fairytek or....Dumpster were against community standards. I don't know if that's still the case, but they're rarely clever.
    I was thinking the same thing. At least, they probably can give some clue about the age of the poster.

(Of course, I'm the one who's been known to refer to a certain Oakland Athletics outfielder as Collin Cowgirl. Some names are just too good to resist.)

oh i get it..."dumpster"

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    oh i get it..."dumpster"
    'splain please!
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    'splain please!
    Ryan Dempster.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Ryan Dempster.
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, instead of Dempster he said dumpster. Hilarious!1!1!!!
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, instead of Dempster he said dumpster. Hilarious!1!1!!!
    I knew you would appreciate the subtle and sophisticated wit behind that one.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Like Garza. And his stuff plays well in the AL East, and he already did well here for several seasons.

Want to part of Dempster. I believe he is a product of the weak hitting NL, specifically the NL Central.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Theo is going to want a ton for Garza.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Thanks. I wasn't getting it.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tim2nyy View Post
    Garza has spent most of his career in the AL, so I wouldn't be concerned with him switching leagues. I would certainly prefer him to Dempster.

Regardless, our rotation is dealing right now. Unless someone suddenly falls off, I don't see a need to add a starter.
    Yeah, Garza is a FA after this season right? If he had a few more years of team control, perhaps; he could be particularly useful next year. But he'd cost a ton I'd imagine, too much for a rental.

'splain please!
    Ryan Dempster.
    AHAHHHAA! eez funny because name sounds like dumpster for garbage!
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

NYYF Legend

Dempster or Garza?

Neither to be honest, if we need short term pitching thats what Mitchell and Phelps are for. Who are you honestly going to bump out of the rotation. And you know the asking price will be very high. Likely to include Mason Williams or Tyler Austin
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

I'm not sure why we'd be looking for a new SP at this point, but Dempster is outpitching Garza. Garza's AL numbers are pedestrian, and his performance doesn't match up to his rep.

Carlos Gonzalez
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

Garza also started throwing his offspeed stuff more since going over to the Cubs. He's definitely benefited from facing so much crap at the bottom of most orders, but he's changed his style of pitching. He'll definitely be an overpay and I'm laughing at all the mediots claiming the Sox should trade for him.

NYYF Legend

who would get bumped from the roation at this point?

Neither is a long term solution and neiter is likely to be appreciably better then what they Yanks are running out there right now.

Now if a starter goes down to injury I'd be interested in either but at this point I don't see the point of persuing either.

edit: I don't think Garza will have 6 years service time for FA until after the 2013 season so he's more than just a 3 month rental.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    who would get bumped from the roation at this point?

Neither is a long term solution and neiter is likely to be appreciably better then what they Yanks are running out there right now.

Now if a starter goes down to injury I'd be interested in either but at this point I don't see the point of persuing either.
    That's how I feel. Maybe in the next month one of our pitchers goes down and my opinion would change, but at this point I don't see either of these guys being worth the likely cost
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

'splain please!
    You didn't get it because the first half of the nickname violates community standards.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    edit: I don't think Garza will have 6 years service time for FA until after the 2013 season so he's more than just a 3 month rental.
    That's correct, at least according to Cot's. At the end of this year he'll have 5 years, 149 days ML service time - 23 days short of that sixth season. There are Super 2's for arbitration, but no super 5's for free agency.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

That's correct, at least according to Cot's. At the end of this year he'll have 5 years, 149 days ML service time - 23 days short of that sixth season. There are Super 2's for arbitration, but no super 5's for free agency.
    Cot's was where I went. But double checking 2013 FAs on mlbtraderumors, he's not listed there so he's arb eligible again next year. That will make him more expensive to pry away from the Cubs and still does nothing to address who would get bumped from the rotation.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Thread Information