+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Emergency Catcher - Jayson Nix or Raul Ibanez?

    The Yankees were without a backup catcher on Saturday after Stewart pinch-hit in the pitcher's spot in the 12th inning. Girardi said that the likely emergency catcher would be Jayson Nix, though Raul Ibanez also caught when he first came up as a pro.
    This item was in Bomber Bits on mlb.com - Girardi seems to think that Jayson Nix would serve as the catcher in an emergency, even though BaseballReference.com shows no record of him ever having caught in either the minors or the majors.

    On the other hand, according to BaseballReference.com, Raul Ibanez caught 127 games in the minors and has appeared in one major league game as a catcher. Granted, Raul Ibanez is 40 years old, but wouldn't you rather have someone who has actually squatted behind the plate before in an emergency over your jack of all trades player?

    For the record - I acknowledge that, in yesterday's game, Ibanez had already appeared when Stewart pinch hit in the 12th and therefore would not have been available in an emergency situation.

    For the record 2 - and, yes, I acknowledge that worrying about the emergency catcher is trivial. But, when your team has won 19 of its last 23 games, you begin to worry about these really little things
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  2. #2
    NYYF Legend

    Nome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Branchburg, NJ 08876

    Re: Emergency Catcher - Jayson Nix or Raul Ibanez?

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    This item was in Bomber Bits on mlb.com - Girardi seems to think that Jayson Nix would serve as the catcher in an emergency, even though BaseballReference.com shows no record of him ever having caught in either the minors or the majors.

    On the other hand, according to BaseballReference.com, Raul Ibanez caught 127 games in the minors and has appeared in one major league game as a catcher. Granted, Raul Ibanez is 40 years old, but wouldn't you rather have someone who has actually squatted behind the plate before in an emergency over your jack of all trades player?

    For the record - I acknowledge that, in yesterday's game, Ibanez had already appeared when Stewart pinch hit in the 12th and therefore would not have been available in an emergency situation.

    For the record 2 - and, yes, I acknowledge that worrying about the emergency catcher is trivial. But, when your team has won 19 of its last 23 games, you begin to worry about these really little things
    Don'y need one. Trenton and SWB (no matter wher they play) are no more than an hour from YS and we have plenty of catching talent there

    Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

  3. #3
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Emergency Catcher - Jayson Nix or Raul Ibanez?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Don'y need one. Trenton and SWB (no matter wher they play) are no more than an hour from YS and we have plenty of catching talent there

    Andy
    The need for an emergency catcher almost always comes up in unforeseeable in-game situations, as it might have on Saturday - an extra-inning game where the BUC was used as a pinch-hitter. There was no way to call up someone from SW or Trenton to cover the possibility that Martin might get injured before the game ended.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  4. #4
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The Bronx

    Re: Emergency Catcher - Jayson Nix or Raul Ibanez?

    Do you really want your 40 year old DH/LF to squat down and take pitches? Nix is younger and could take the wear and tear a bit for the few innings they need him. Besides when Martin needs to suit up after an AB its usually Stewart, Chavez or Nix who catch the in-between innings pitcher warmups.
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

  5. #5
    NYYF Legend

    Eldee5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South Carolina (Originally NJ)

    Re: Emergency Catcher - Jayson Nix or Raul Ibanez?

    Well if there's any night where we might find out the answer to the question, it could be tonight against the Braves:
    Chris Stewart is catching CC
    Russell Martin is DHing

  6. #6
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nassau County

    Re: Emergency Catcher - Jayson Nix or Raul Ibanez?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Don'y need one. Trenton and SWB (no matter wher they play) are no more than an hour from YS and we have plenty of catching talent there

    Andy
    Scranton/Wilkes-Barre's Stadium is being renovated. Google Maps says it's 2 hours 22 minutes away from Yankee Stadium. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre could be playing as far west as Indianapolis or as far south as Gwinnett, Georgia. Trenton could be playing in Altoona or New Hampshire.

  7. #7
    NYYF Legend

    Nome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Branchburg, NJ 08876

    Re: Emergency Catcher - Jayson Nix or Raul Ibanez?

    Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Scranton/Wilkes-Barre's Stadium is being renovated. Google Maps says it's 2 hours 22 minutes away from Yankee Stadium. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre could be playing as far west as Indianapolis or as far south as Gwinnett, Georgia. Trenton could be playing in Altoona or New Hampshire.
    In an emergency you could sign your bullpen catcher to a one week emergency contract and activate him immediately. No need to worry about something as inconsequential as this
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

  8. #8

    Re: Emergency Catcher - Jayson Nix or Raul Ibanez?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    In an emergency you could sign your bullpen catcher to a one week emergency contract and activate him immediately. No need to worry about something as inconsequential as this
    Unless mlb has changed it's rules dramatically, the bullpen catcher is as ineligible to serve as an emergency catcher as the guys in the minors are.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts