+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Will Bryce Harper be a Yankee?

Prince Fielder could be considered a super star... close at least.

Harper could turn out to be one of those players that only come around so often. The way the Nats are going and building their team, they are setting up a monster and a possible dynasty. Him and Stras are franchise players and I can't see any reason for that team to not do anything in their power to lock them up for as long as they can. Do a Braun like deal if they can afford to. If that team continues down the current path and they tinker here and there, they could be the next dynasty. And Harper will be the guy right in the middle of it. I think he stays there for a very long time.

Although from what I understand about him, he needs to be the best at everything he does. Loves the spotlight, loves the big stage. It is possible that he would want to be the star on a historic franchise and what better team to do that with than the Yanks. Harper can play wherever he wants to play. If he truly wants the stage, that's what will get him here. But I don;t see it happening. I see a lot of pride in him and if the Nats give him something like what Braun got after a couple of years of doing what he is doing (which is damn impressive) he may choose to stay where he is and shine on the stage he's already got.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Forum Regular

Sterling pointed out on the radio broadcast last night that the Lerner family are the wealthiest owners in all of MLB. Harper is not going anywhere else, they'll have him locked up long before he hits FA.

NYYF Legend

Last time I check, he didn't fire his agent. I 'm surprise people think that he will take a Braun like deal or is locked up long before he hits FA.

Depends how much he wants to be a Yankee. He is an unconventional kid, so it wouldnt surprise me if he turned down a long term deal with the Nationals, with a view on being a free agent as soon as possible.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    The days of the superstar caliber player reaching FA may be over.
    You do realize two players were signed to two contracts exceeding $200M this past offseason, yes?

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    The days of the superstar caliber player reaching FA may be over.
    Or at least minimized. The days of the Yanks using other teams as a farm system are over. More and more teams are now keeping their players. My bet is of he ever does, and assuming he has a prolific career, it will be at the tail end.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    Albert Pujols says hi.
    I don't think people are saying no one changes teams. But it is now more likely players will stay than leave. For every Pujols I can name a Kemp, Cain, Braun or the like.. If this were 2003 then I would say much more likely.
    Life is good!

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I don't think people are saying no one changes teams. But it is now more likely players will stay than leave. For every Pujols I can name a Kemp, Cain, Braun or the like.. If this were 2003 then I would say much more likely.
    True, but to say "The days of the superstar caliber player reaching FA may be over." is ludicrous.

True, but to say "The days of the superstar caliber player reaching FA may be over." is ludicrous.
    Reaching I agree it isn't over but the days of the league being an all you can eat buffet for the Yankees are gone. While it isn't impossible, if I had to wager, I would say no.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Last time I check, he didn't fire his agent. I 'm surprise people think that he will take a Braun like deal or is locked up long before he hits FA.
    Were you surprised when Braun did? Were you surprised when Lee turned down the Yanks money? None of us have any clue to where his focus lies. If it's with money, sure he'll go elsewhere. If he has pride and wants to be a focus in our nation's capitol while they dominate their division for years? He does do that deal or something like it. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. Just because he grew up a Yankee fan doesn't mean he won't want to be a Nats legend. They don't have any right now. But they sure have a few players that will be.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Were you surprised when Braun did? Were you surprised when Lee turned down the Yanks money? None of us have any clue to where his focus lies. If it's with money, sure he'll go elsewhere. If he has pride and wants to be a focus in our nation's capitol while they dominate their division for years? He does do that deal or something like it. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. Just because he grew up a Yankee fan doesn't mean he won't want to be a Nats legend. They don't have any right now. But they sure have a few players that will be.
    He can re-sign with the Nats even though he enters FA. Not like the Nats will back out if he chooses this route.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    He can re-sign with the Nats even though he enters FA. Not like the Nats will back out if he chooses this route.
    Oh I know. I'm just saying we don;t know what he is out for. Money or being a home grown legend or what. It would not surprise me in the least if he did a Braun type deal. In fact, I'd like to see more major league players do these types of deals. I love my team and I love the players I root for but I also don't always like when from year to year I am rooting for a jersey instead of a group of guys. And for a while it felt that way with just a few exceptions. Not to say the Yankees should be dumb and not acquire guys, I don't think that at all. But it's better for baseball to see a guy like Harper stay with the team that acquired him, taught him, promoted him, and are now reaping the benefits of him. You know? Watching teams like the Pirates, Rays, and Royals lose their guys to big market teams bothers me sometimes. It has to suck as a fan to constantly see it happen.

Addicted Member

Baseball has no salary cap. It would be insane of him to not test the market, if he reaches the potential that he has.

Quote Originally Posted by madjack View Post
    Baseball has no salary cap. It would be insane of him to not test the market, if he reaches the potential that he has.
    Just like how insane Braun and Lee were.

He has the potential to be a generational player. Comparing him to run of the mill stars (assuming he fulfills his potential) is silly. Griffey, Bonds, A-Rod, and Pujols all switched teams mid-career, and that's the precedent here. I'd bet against him being a Yankee just because of the likelihood of regression, injury etc. but I seriously doubt the Nationals will get him to sign a hometown discount kind of deal.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Just like how insane Braun and Lee were.
    Unless the Natinals overpay early on, then yes it would be insane, and yes it was insane for them to sign without testing the market.

Although Braun in hindsight made a wise decision, what with his little scandal and all.

I'm not counting on either result. I'm just saying they are both a possibility and I don't think either possibility has more of a chance of happening than the other.

0/7 with 5 K's? Let's not even bother.

Quote Originally Posted by tim2nyy View Post
    0/7 with 5 K's? Let's not even bother.
    that's a clown comment, bro.

... and the signings of 2 future DH's is analogous to the term "superstar"?
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Why is everyone getting so uptight over the comment. It may be in the infant stages of it, but there is a possibility. Considering the economy, people can't fill out stadiums because the prices are so high because contracts are so high. Contracts start to come down naturally. At least I would assume it is bound to happen unless things turn around.

You also need to think with all the talent coming into the league year after year that is young and cheap, the days of giving players these tremendous deals like an A-Rod contract are coming to an end. Especially for pitchers. Who wants to sign a guy and have to deal with a donk of a contract for 3 years? We complain about it constantly. These contracts are mistakes. So why can't the future hold more situations where teams tell their big guys they will make them rich for the rest of their lives if they sure up their most useful years and get contracts like Braun?

I'm not saying it's going to happen, and if it does it will takes years to evolve, but the beginning could be near. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

Many people are being too pedantic. Really. Jumping all over someone for a possible future of the game is just unnecessary. Unless you're bored.

NYYF Legend

I would be upset no end if Harper wound up a Yankee. It's about time we stopped trying to sign every one of some other teams stars and concentrat on developing our own. If Harper would become a Yankee I would desert the team and baseball as a fan. It would no longer be fun and of interest to me.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    I would be upset no end if Harper wound up a Yankee. It's about time we stopped trying to sign every one of some other teams stars and concentrat on developing our own. If Harper would become a Yankee I would desert the team and baseball as a fan. It would no longer be fun and of interest to me.

Andy
    I agree. If he turns out to be as projected I hope he plays his entire career in DC. Players that are identifiable to a uniform (I.E. Jeter) I hope never leave.
    Life is good!

The notion that the Yankees always steal other teams' stars is so overstated. On the current team it could only apply to CC and Tex, both who had already left the teams they came up with.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

Thread Information