+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Addicted Member

Will Bryce Harper be a Yankee?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...LaDU_blog.html

His favorite teams are the Cowboys, Yankees, Lakers, and Duke LMAO.
    Will the Yankees shell out the $400 million or whatever to get him in the Bronx?

Re: Will Bryce Harper be a Yankee?

Quote Originally Posted by madjack View Post
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...LaDU_blog.html

His favorite teams are the Cowboys, Yankees, Lakers, and Duke LMAO.
    Will the Yankees shell out the $400 million or whatever to get him in the Bronx?
    He's been in the majors for 7 weeks, and you're wondering whether the Yankees will sign him 5-1/2 years from now?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Yes, because every team in baseball is the Yankees farm system.
    Boo for trading Prado.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    He's been in the majors for 7 weeks, and you're wondering whether the Yankees will sign him 5-1/2 years from now?
    Actually it's going to be another full six seasons from 2012 so the earliest he can be a free agent is after the 2018 season. However, I get your point, too much can happen between now and then.
    Poor ownership can hold a baseball team down for years!

NYYF Cy Young

Problem, major leagues?
    Attention Steinbrenner and front-office morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is George Costanza. I fear no reprisal. Extension 5-1-7-0.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Actually it's going to be another full six seasons from 2012 so the earliest he can be a free agent is after the 2018 season. However, I get your point, too much can happen between now and then.
    Of course it's early, but it's always better to plan ahead, and it's a situation that potentially can happen.

It's not as if I asked "Will Bryce Harper be a Kansas City Royal?"

My prediction is that in 5 1/2 years, money that will be available to sign Harper will go to Javy Vazquez instead. I also predict that 2-3 NYYFans members will respond to complaints with, "What would you have done?"

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    You're correct. They cut very little slack on crediting a year's service - it requires 172 days on the ML roster.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF MVP

Washington without a doubt is already thinking 6 years down the road and will pony up the money they will be foolish not to be spinning the tires on that future date.

He is a boras agent so he will wait till free agency.

The Baseball teams not being able to afford their homegrown talent social norm that was common place aint so common place anymore.

So the fact that more so then ever it seems like baseball players are staying with the teams they came up with and getting payed handsomely for it bodes well for the Nats.

Seems like they have a good thing going over there with Strausburg, Gio, Zimmerman etc., in my opinion why would Harper want become a villain like Lebron did?

It's not like Washington DC is Cleveland or something.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrusader View Post
    Washington without a doubt is already thinking 6 years down the road and will pony up the money they will be foolish not to be spinning the tires on that future date.

He is a boras agent so he will wait till free agency.

The Baseball teams not being able to afford their homegrown talent social norm that was common place aint so common place anymore.

So the fact that more so then ever it seems like baseball players are staying with the teams they came up with and getting payed handsomely for it bodes well for the Nats.

Seems like they have a good thing going over there with Strausburg, Gio, Zimmerman etc., in my opinion why would Harper want become a villain like Lebron did?

It's not like Washington DC is Cleveland or something.
    St Louis is a great baseball city, and Pujols walked away.
    Seattle is one of the best cities in America, and Alex Rodriguez left for Texas.
    Heck, Jose Reyes walked away from New York City.

In the end, everyone leaves for the money. The question is, will the Natinals spend the $300-400 million to keep this kid, if he maintains along with his current projections.

He's having a better year than Mark Teixeira too. FML.

My answer is yes, Bryce Harper will be a Yankee. When he is 34, they will sign him to a 7-year, $200M contract.
    - Barry Manilow

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Seattle is one of the best cities in America, and Alex Rodriguez left for Texas.

In the end, everyone leaves for the money. The question is, will the Natinals spend the $300-400 million to keep this kid, if he maintains along with his current projections.

Of course, no one knows how the next 5-6 years are going to play out, but I won't be shocked at all if the Nationals keep the guy. He's liable to be the face of the franchise and still in his prime, and that's a decent-sized market.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF MVP

I started my post by saying that the Washington front office/ownership is already highly likely kicking the tires on this reality of 6 years down the road and that they will offer him a a contract that is more then fair if he continues on this path.

A-Rod is comparable to Harper leaving but he played in that era where that was common place.

Guys like Braun, Longoria, Kemp, Moore, Kershaw, Cain, Weaver etc.. are all siging with the teams they came up when 10-15 years ago they would have all become FA's

Pujols is not comparable because others in the industry thought it was the right move for the Cardinals not to over pay for Pujols(a future DH) because of his age progression potential not being good.

Pujols was a 32 year old stick who was given a 10 year deal not a toolsy all around guys like a 27 year old A-Rod or a future 25 year old FA Harper.

And Reyes doesn't belong in this conversation he is a sub career .800 OPS guy who will no doubt help the Marlins but got overpaid and is not the same caliber of player as the others you listed.

I hope he stays here in DC with me so I can watch him play live baseballa few times a week. I will even let him live in my house.

I do think the Nationals will resign him. They have a great working relationship with Boras, and deep pockets, and stand to make even more money thanks to a new tv deal.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    I hope he stays here in DC with me so I can watch him play live baseballa few times a week. I will even let him live in my house.

I do think the Nationals will resign him. They have a great working relationship with Boras, and deep pockets, and stand to make even more money thanks to a new tv deal.
    Agree you don't know what the baseball landscape will be 6 years from now but if the Washington Nationals continue to be good and they have the talent to be good then they will pay him.

And honestly him staying in Washington would probably be the best thing for baseball.

The only thing that might make Harper leave in my opinion is if 6 years from now the Nationals are in fact not a good team and then things are wide open for the contending teams and big market teams.

I think its WAYY too early to speculate on something like this. As big a Yankee fan that I am, I mean the way the Nats are playing and built, why would he want to play anywhere else? Just think of how loaded the Nats are long term with Strasburg, Jordan Zimmerman, Gio Gonzalez, Drew Storen, Tyler Clippard, Harper, Ryan Zimmerman, Ian Desmond, Mike Morse and Anthony Rendon in the minors waiting to come up. If I was him, I'd probably like to see what this group of young talented players could accomplish rather than chase every dollar bill he sees.

Will we be venturing into guessing whether or not the Yankees will sign the eventual fetus of Derek Jeter?
    Just sayin'......

“Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

Yes, he will be a Yankee.
    Currently building my Man-cave-a for Mancada's arrival.

My answer is yes, Bryce Harper will be a Yankee. When he is 34, they will sign him to a 7-year, $200M contract.
    No 10-year deal?
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'." - Yogi Berra

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

No, no, no

At 34, he will be too young. We need to wait until he is 38, then give him a 10 year, $300M contract.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Will we be venturing into guessing whether or not the Yankees will sign the eventual fetus of Derek Jeter?
    Just sayin'......

Why haven't we signed Mo Jr?
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Or they could just sign left-handed hitters born on November 21 in Donora, PA.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...riffke02.shtml
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...usiast01.shtml
    - Barry Manilow

Addicted Member

Should I rename this thread the "2018 Bryce Harper Performace thread" for future bumps?

The days of the superstar caliber player reaching FA may be over.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    The days of the superstar caliber player reaching FA may be over.
    Albert Pujols says hi.

Thread Information