+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Guys with Wood and Swingers exchange hostag- I mean, headliners

I want to start by saying that objecting because you would have offered more is just not an acceptable way to use your right to vote on trades. If this is your reason then it's invalid because if you would have offered more you should have. People update their "on the block" pages all the time and both parties in this trade historically are trade makers. So that is your bad for missing the boat.

Here is how I see it:
    Milone is currently 24 points behind Lester in scoring. A difference of 2 points per week. I understand that Lester is an ace on what should be a great team. However what he has done and what he will do does not matter on June 18th, we are far enough into the season that there is no more projections to rely on. We can hope for history to prove Lester is what his preseason value says he was, but he no longer needs to be traded for preseason value. Milone was a relatively high ranking minor leaguer (posted three 12 win season in through AAA with a minuscule WHIP and over a k per inning). What he's done in the majors so far has translated well with his control and command as his main assets (from what I understand and have read on him since he is not a power pitcher) while pitching in a pitcher friendly park. His last outing may have sucked but not many can conquer Colorado. Prior to that game he averaged approx 7 IP per start and is posting a 2:1 K/BB ratio. He may not be Jon Lester right now, however the 12 round difference in the draft more than makes up for Lester's difference in value at this point in the season. Milone could and probably will be a tremendous keeper for next year in round 10 of a 20 team pitching heavy league.

Someone brought up a very valid point. Questioning his value going forward. I agree that there are circumstances that can hinder his performance and playing time for the rest of the year however for me to decide on the validity of what might happen is just an impossibility. I can't, that it the owner's risk to take.

The question is, is Teheran worth Fielder. Fielder is an obvious stud and everyone wants to see a stud go back. Considering one team is rebuilding and looking for keepers what he wants back is a stud keeper. Well, now that Montero, Trout, Harper, Trumbo, and Moore are in the majors, Teheran is that guy if he's looking to stack his minors. With the possible exception of Bauer, Teheran is arguably the most valuable minor league player right now. We can argue Profar but in a pitching heavy league the answer is Teheran in my opinion.

There has been a precedent set in our league that stud minor league keepers are acceptable returns for stud major league players. Brian offered the trade to Ben, he obviously made the decision himself, nobody talked him into anything. I see no collusion and the talent shift, while very helpful to Ben, is just not enough to cause any imbalance to our league. So I find no reason to deny this trade.

Approved.

A no-brainer Steve. Absolutely the right decision. Well done.

Thanks John.

I will push the trade through later after rosters lock so it goes through when it was supposed to. Right now it's on hold.

NYYF Legend

I'm not arguing the decision, but would like an explanation of how a top point producer (Fielder) being traded for a kid who isn't earning points yet doesn't "imbalance the league".

NYYF Legend

Steve, thanks for posting the decision promptly and in detail; I know how much these things can become unwanted chores. (And I like to think I would have posted the same thing had the decision gone the other way, but who knows . . .)

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Quote Originally Posted by yanksphan View Post
    I'm not arguing the decision, but would like an explanation of how a top point producer (Fielder) being traded for a kid who isn't earning points yet doesn't "imbalance the league".
    Fair enough.

It's a precedent that's been set throughout the history of this league for one. So unless your talking about a BS minor league player I can't overturn the trade based on that. Teheran is an elite minor league keeper.

As for the points thing, yes I know a mega points scorer for zero points sounds like imbalance, but if you look at the upgrade over what Ben was already putting out there it's not as huge as you think. Not enough to imbalance the league, anyway.

if I may be so bold as to say he's going to replace Goldshmidt (not sure, maybe Quentin but I can't really calculate Quentin's value right now, although he's looking like a fantasy stud right now) he's got an upgrade of 66 points which amounts to 6 points a week. That's nothing to cry about in my eyes.

NYYF HOF

Good decision Steve, my only objection is that you failed to mention Dylan Bundy who is the #1 prospect in the minors now

Quote Originally Posted by The FUTURE View Post
    Good decision Steve, my only objection is that you failed to mention Dylan Bundy who is the #1 prospect in the minors now
    My ratings were based on how soon they would be major league ready. I would love to have Bundy on my team. You swiped him from me in the draft.

And I gave you props with Bauer!

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    My ratings were based on how soon they would be major league ready. I would love to have Bundy on my team. You swiped him from me in the draft.

haha I know, I have nothing else to be happy about this season....Bundy's been my only wise decision

NYYF HOF

And I gave you props with Bauer!

Yeah I keep telling myself....surely they will bring Bauer up next week...just keep on waiting

NYYF HOF

If most of my players were playing to their potential or playing for that matter....my team would be pretty solid...but by the time everyone is back healthly...i'll prob be 5+ games out of the division race

Well I figured instead of going with all the pitching, while everyone was using their early picks I'd beef up my offense and assure myself 20-30 points from just about all 10 positions. Unfortunately it hasn't worked at all. I think my offense is pretty decent for a 12 team league let alone a 20 teamer. Losing Lucroy was just the beginning. I wanted to play matchups with 8 pitchers and I was happy coming out of the draft. Unfortunately Fister has been hurt twice, what I thought about Hochevar just blew up in my face, I thought since he was good on a terrible team that would carry over to a much more talented team. I lost Niemann and then Norris and that was the kill. Floyd has been a disaster, Tomlin isn't what I thought he'd be, Matusz is another disaster.... the only guy I can rely on is my minor leaguer Delgado that I promoted. Hopefully Fister is here to stay and Niemann is back soon. Norris is a K machine, I thought I'd get points from him. My whole staff is just awful and the chance I took blew up in my face. I'm hoping I can stay in it and possible trade Howard for some good pitching but I'm slowly falling too far. I'm bottom of the power rankings and I may be done and open for business soon.

Just so you guys know.... Bourn, Lucroy, Delgado, Morales and Fister are going to be hard to attain. But I have some mega offense to trade with Reyes, Uggla, Upton, Choo, Holliday, and of course Miggy. Stud keepers only though. Everyone can use any of these players so I'm going to try and maximize my return and also stay competitive for a high draft pick next year.

Sigh. Another failure of a season.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Sigh. Another failure of a season.
    I just put my whole team on the trading block.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    I just put my whole team on the trading block.
    We are now competitors in the market. At least I have some sort of competition in this league for something.

We are now competitors in the market. At least I have some sort of competition in this league for something.

Well I figured if other teams are giving up, I might as well join the party before all the good keepers have been traded.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Legend

Fair enough.

It's a precedent that's been set throughout the history of this league for one. So unless your talking about a BS minor leagoue player I can't overturn the trade based on that. Teheran is an elite minor league keeper.

As for the points thing, yes I know a mega points scorer for zero points sounds like imbalance, but if you look at the upgrade over what Ben was already putting out there it's not as huge as you think. Not enough to imbalance the league, anyway.

if I may be so bold as to say he's going to replace Goldshmidt (not sure, maybe Quentin but I can't really calculate Quentin's value right now, although he's looking like a fantasy stud right now) he's got an upgrade of 66 points which amounts to 6 points a week. That's nothing to cry about in my eyes.
    Thanks for the explanation, but I'm not buying it.

One team is adding 200pts while giving up none for the balance of this season.

That in itself is the definition of "imbalance"

I understand that a precedent was set, fine. But going forward we should not use the criteria of "imbalancing the league"for future trades.

I understand that a precedent was set, fine. But going forward we should not use the criteria of "imbalancing the league"for future trades.
    Last week, Saxmania' Swingers had 1485 points in their hitters, now it's 1517.5, an improvement of 32.5; their pitchers were worth 1379, now are worth 1403, and improvement of 24. Net improvement is 56.5

Last week Guys With Wood had 1297 points in their offense, now it's 1276 a drop of 21 points; their pitching went from 1144 to 992...BUT...128 of that 152 point difference is they benched Henderson Alvarez (149 points) in favor of Dice-K (21 points for the season). Leave Alvarez in there and it's a 24 point difference, for a net loss of 45 points, PLUS the addition of a stud mL player in Julio Teheran.

Saxmania: +56.5
    Woodies: -45 points, plus the addition of Teheran

Yeah, I'd say the system is working fine.

if you divide that by the number of weeks we've had it works out even less than I gave Ben credit for. +2 for Lester and +8 for Fielder per week.

You can't always look at overall exchanges. Everything is week to week in this league.

I understand how you feel. As an owner I'm not happy about the trade. But as the commissioner I can't find any reason to deny it, especially since this is a huge part of FBB and has been in our league for years. For it to be called imbalanced it would have to be a massive points shift. 1 player with an upgrade of 8 points per week to me is not massive. If it were a twenty point a week upgrade I would definitely have to reconsider.

If there is one major factor I have learned about trades is it's not only about the players involved. It's more about what they do for each team. So even when you see big names move it may actually help the team losing the big name. Be it in future value for the team or an upgrade in other positions that warrant losing the big player. There are a lot of levels to look at, and Teheran for Fielder is just one level.

Also, because this league depends more on what you do week to week I have to break it down that way. The overall shift is not important, it's what happens week to week because that's what gets you in the playoffs. If this were a roto league it would be much, much different.

Thread Information