+ Reply to Thread
    Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

The Official New Jersey Devils Thread..

Even though there are only a few Devils fans that post on this site regularly, we used to have our own thread and I think it's best to have one again. I didn't include a year because it can probably be used for a few years with small traffic.

So, nice run to end the season...kind of lured me back into hockey a bit more than I was planning.

First topic: Resigning Parise?

I saw an interview last week with his dad from a Minnesota paper (can't find the link), talking about the house he just built up there and how much he loves it there. Will his hometown be able to woo him there to play? Will he re-sign with the Devils?
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" ...Frank Costanza

NYYF Legend

Re: The Official New Jersey Devils Thread..

At least they beat the Flyers & Rangers

and I just couldn't resist posting this...

Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I don't think he'll go to the Wild, regardless of where he's from. The biggest threats to him leaving are the Red Wings, Bruins (if they can unload Thomas' cap hit), and the Rangers. I think this run to the Final will help in keeping Zach in Newark and I'm pretty sure Lou will do whatever he can to keep him.

In other news, the Devils decided, for some odd reason, not to give up this year's first rounder as their Kovy penalty and will, instead, give up next year's. This makes no sense to me since they'd have to win the Cup next year to actually have a lower pick than this one.

I always felt - it's better to get to the championship and lose than to not get there at all.
    Go Devils!!!!
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    In other news, the Devils decided, for some odd reason, not to give up this year's first rounder as their Kovy penalty and will, instead, give up next year's. This makes no sense to me since they'd have to win the Cup next year to actually have a lower pick than this one.
    Saw this. Does seem odd. They either must think there is someone who might fall to them, feel this draft is better than next year or feel that a player they add this year may help them right away to delay the hit of the lost pick.

But yeah, agree with you.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Well, unless he's a liar, we can cross the Rangers off of Parise's list:

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f..._with_rangers/

Devils captain Zach Parise repeated today his desire to re-sign with the team and said even if he does hit the unrestricted free agent market on July 1 there is “no way” he’d sign with the rival Rangers.

“I like the people here,” he said of his remaining a Devil.“I like the staff, my teammates. I like the area. There’s a lot of good things about this place.”
    Parise was asked twice about the idea of signing with the Rangers and shot it down both times.

Parise said DeBoer’s presence “definitely helps” the Devils’ case to bring him back.

“Because of how much everyone likes Pete and how much everyone believes in Pete and what he wants to do,” Parise said. “He did an unbelievable job. He’s a great coach and I think for everybody to know who is going to be here next year and knows what he wants to do and how good of a coach he is, you believe in what he wants.”

With the draft pick I think they are valuing the current picks plus a couple years of development vs the risk of giving up a very good pick. There isn't a huge difference between pick values after the early 20's
    "Williams could be the Yankees' next great homegrown center fielder. "-BA

I don't think he'll go to the Wild, regardless of where he's from. The biggest threats to him leaving are the Red Wings, Bruins (if they can unload Thomas' cap hit), and the Rangers. I think this run to the Final will help in keeping Zach in Newark and I'm pretty sure Lou will do whatever he can to keep him.

well, like you posted, I'm hoping he's sincere about the Rangers thing and seems like he likes it here so hopefully Lou can get it done..

now that you bring that up about Thomas - I was reading about that the other day and I'm confused (excuse my ignorance )..I don't remember someone just not coming back for the final year of their contract in the way he did..

Thomas, 38, has one year remaining on a four-year, $20 million deal. His actual salary in 2012-13 is scheduled to be $3 million, but his cap hit would be $5 million. That will remain on Boston's cap even if he does not play.

Chiarelli stated he would suspend Thomas and could toll the contract, which would leave Thomas still owing that final year of service to the Bruins. Doing that would keep the cap hit on the Bruins' books, however, even if he did not return to play that season either.
    http://www.nesn.com/2012/06/tim-thom...chiarelli.html

so if they suspend him and then he comes back to fulfill that final year, it doesnt count against the cap when he does fulfull it? help - salary caps confuse me.

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    so if they suspend him and then he comes back to fulfill that final year, it doesnt count against the cap when he does fulfull it? help - salary caps confuse me.
    The cap hit happens next season regardless of whether he plays or not (it's a rule that applies to anybody over the age of 35 to prevent teams from circumventing the cap by lengthening contracts and lowering the AAV). I believe there would be another cap hit when he returns.

NYYF Cy Young

A little off topic, but just wanted to say how much respect I have for the Devils and their organization. If only the Toronto Maple Leafs were lucky enough to have someone like Lou, and the staff he brings in, and his philosophy on hockey and managing people.

I used to go to Devils games when it was five or ten bucks a ticket. This was when Mario broke into the league. The high seats were real cheap, and I always wanted to see Mario play when he was a rookie, so at the Devils games you could buy on the cheap and move down.

I don't know if any of you remember, but all the Devils had to do in 1984 was lose their last game, and they would have had the first pick to get Mario. But the Devils won, and Pittsburgh
    lost. But look at how well the Devils have done even without getting Mario.

It truly is a first class organization, no matter what Wayne Gretzky once said.
    [

The cap hit happens next season regardless of whether he plays or not (it's a rule that applies to anybody over the age of 35 to prevent teams from circumventing the cap by lengthening contracts and lowering the AAV). I believe there would be another cap hit when he returns.
    ah okay - thanks for explaining that Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by trentonthunder View Post
    A little off topic, but just wanted to say how much respect I have for the Devils and their organization. If only the Toronto Maple Leafs were lucky enough to have someone like Lou, and the staff he brings in, and his philosophy on hockey and managing people.

I used to go to Devils games when it was five or ten bucks a ticket. This was when Mario broke into the league. The high seats were real cheap, and I always wanted to see Mario play when he was a rookie, so at the Devils games you could buy on the cheap and move down.

I don't know if any of you remember, but all the Devils had to do in 1984 was lose their last game, and they would have had the first pick to get Mario. But the Devils won, and Pittsburgh
    lost. But look at how well the Devils have done even without getting Mario.

It truly is a first class organization, no matter what Wayne Gretzky once said.
    thanks TT. i used to go back in high school when they first brought the team here - i've told this story before but I used to stand on the front row (made my b/f who had the tix hide) so i could ask the guys for a puck while they were practicing - the first one i got was from someone named Jeff Larmer and i was so excited when he came up to scoop it to me even though he was a nobody .

i didn't take too kindly to the mickey mouse comments...and remember the mario thing - i think one can make a case that lou is one of the best GMs of any sport if not the best.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

So you can't, for instance, sign a 38 year old to a 9/45 deal; pay him $15M in year 1 but only have a $5M cap hit, then pay the rest those other years, knowing he'll retire right?

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    So you can't, for instance, sign a 38 year old to a 9/45 deal; pay him $15M in year 1 but only have a $5M cap hit, then pay the rest those other years, knowing he'll retire right?
    Right. You'd take a $5mill cap hit for each of those 9 years.

FWIW - Insider's grade on the draft:

New Jersey Devils: B-

There was great irony when the Devils chose Stefan Matteau with their first-overall pick, since his father scored one of the goals Devils fans still see in their nightmares. Matteau said New Jersey could be a better fit for him personally than playing in New York, where he'd draw constant comparisons to his dad, Stephane. GM Lou Lamoriello expressed hope in Pittsburgh that Zach Parise would get a deal done before July 1, but the clock is ticking.

Sonier's prime picks: Matteau was drafted right where many predicted, late in the first round. His decision to bypass college hockey and go to the QMJHL could expedite his development because of the type of game he plays. He adds grit and character to the Devils organization and is raved about by his teammates as the ultimate team player. That fits in with Lamoriello's model in New Jersey. Hard-nosed defenseman Damon Severson of Kelowna (WHL) slides down in the draft but is a good value pick.

Days from unrestricted free agency and the chance to be romanced by other NHL clubs willing to pay big bucks for his signature on a contract, Zach Parise insisted the Devils are still very much in the picture.

Parise said today that his agents, Wade Arnott and Don Meehan, have been talking to Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello the last few days. However, he acknowledged it is very possible there will be no deal before Sunday’s noon (ET) deadline for the start of free agency.

“If that does happen, my agents have done a really good job of doing the best they can to prepare me for it. But first and foremost, we want to try to get things worked out with New Jersey,” the 27-year-old left winger told The Star-Ledger.
    http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...ent_out_i.html

Not sure how the Devils can sign him if they don't get their debt issues settled, can they?

Not that this is much of a surprise, but:

@RenLavoieRDS: Martin Brodeur is staying with the Devils. 2 years / 9 millions. Great news for the Devils fans and that franchise.

Also, don't want to get my hopes up, but this was positive:

Tom Gulitti@TGfireandice
    Brodeur on ZP: "but I think the Devils went to the forefront with him and I’m pretty positive that he’ll come back to us, but we’ll see.”

Looks like we lost our captain

Call it a Wild day for Minnesota: On Wednesday, the team landed not one but both of the NHL's top players available in free agency: forward Zach Parise and defenseman Ryan Suter.
    ""Zach told me this: If It wasn't for going home to Minnesota, he'd be coming to New Jersey," Lamoriello said on a conference call with reporters. "It was one of the toughest decisions he said he had to make. I respect that decision to make. We can't get into minds of people. In my opinion, our organization did whatever it possible could to retain him and it's a decision he made."
    I just had an odd feeling he'd go home especially about to be married.. ugh.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/81...d-no-timetable

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Yay I can finally root for Parise!

Disappointed, but you can't get mad at the guy for taking insane money to go home.

Disappointed, but you can't get mad at the guy for taking insane money to go home.
    Tell that to like 99% of your fan base.

Well.. it ain't gonna be easy for you Devils fans, but, hey, you got the best GM in sports. He'll keep the team competitive. Unlike the Rangers, who've always thrown money at free agents & managed to win diddly-squat over the years.
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

Thread Information