+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yankees & Stubhub pending divorce, how does it affect you?

This pertain to me only.

1. I still going to keep my FULL season package because I still go the games. I might drop some partial plans and 1/5 field MVP shared partial plans. Or I can reduce the number of tickets and keep the account for pre-sell purposes.

2. I will try to find ways to sell whatever extra tickets via Stubhub or other venues. It might be inconvenient when it comes to barcode re-issued but I think it will work itself out.

Do I feel sad or do I feel happy? I can honestly said "it doesnt affect me one way or the other".

I know SH needs the Yankees more than the Yankees need SH. Most likely, they will agree on some common ground and keep the "relationship" going. If not, oh well, it was good while it lasted.
    It's never about what you know, it's who you know ..... and who's willing to help you to get where you want to be.

Devoted Member

Re: Yankees & Stubhub pending divorce, how does it affect you?

I use SH for almost all my tickets, so I hope continue their partnership. I think SH has displayed the true value of tickets. If they don't stick together, then hopefully the Yankees adjust their ticket prices to reflect what we've seen on SH the past few years.

(Not saying $2 for Grandstand Outfield, but anywhere between $10-$18 for that section for example would seem to be the right price).

NYYF Legend

I have a Friday plan, and if they don't renew with Stubhub, I'm cancelling. Stubhub makes it so much easier to sell my tickets, if they want to make it harder for me, then they don't want me a as a customer. I probably end up having to sell 5-7 of my games every season, due to work responsibilities.

I will just buy all my games from -- who else, Stubhub, even if they don't have the barcode system anymore.

The only time I would use Stubhub, in case of emergency only. By this I mean, friends want to come down for the game and so forth.

I would doubt that there will be tickets for $5 or less, since the inventory will be much lesser and there will be less tickets to be dumped on Stubhub. And if supply is limited, that would cause the demand to go higher.

As for STH cancelling their plan, even lesser tickets will be available for sale on SH.

If anything, I would side on the Yankees on this subject. Yankees get a very small percentage from SH's bottom line. The last time I heard, it was like 5% or so. Even though, 5% of something is something. But, to gain this 5%, SH somehow devalue the Yankees' tickets value. So, I dont think it is worth it to maintain.

As for SH, if there are less tickets to be listed, there will be less 25% round-trip fee and processing fee per transaction. And if there are less tickets listed for sale, the demand for ticket will raised - so most likely, they will recover from the higher 25% of the bottom line. But I think SH wants 100 $5/ticket sale than 5 $100/ticket sale.
    It's never about what you know, it's who you know ..... and who's willing to help you to get where you want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
    I use SH for almost all my tickets, so I hope continue their partnership. I think SH has displayed the true value of tickets. If they don't stick together, then hopefully the Yankees adjust their ticket prices to reflect what we've seen on SH the past few years.

(Not saying $2 for Grandstand Outfield, but anywhere between $10-$18 for that section for example would seem to be the right price).

I disagree.

It is the sellers who get into "panic mode" and compete against each other that cause the devalue of the tickets. It is the sellers who control the true value if anything.

If they all agree to stay competitive, consumers will give in one way or another. But when "yeah, I can sell them $1 lower than you" happened, no one wins except the consumers.

I know they all can not treat the 81-game season as 81-premium game, so it is even out in the end.

Bottom line, while sellers and buyers fight, SH wins every battle. Cant say the same thing for the Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesfanatic View Post
    The only time I would use Stubhub, in case of emergency only. By this I mean, friends want to come down for the game and so forth.

I would doubt that there will be tickets for $5 or less, since the inventory will be much lesser and there will be less tickets to be dumped on Stubhub. And if supply is limited, that would cause the demand to go higher.

As for STH cancelling their plan, even lesser tickets will be available for sale on SH.

If anything, I would side on the Yankees on this subject. Yankees get a very small percentage from SH's bottom line. The last time I heard, it was like 5% or so. Even though, 5% of something is something. But, to gain this 5%, SH somehow devalue the Yankees' tickets value. So, I dont think it is worth it to maintain.

As for SH, if there are less tickets to be listed, there will be less 25% round-trip fee and processing fee per transaction. And if there are less tickets listed for sale, the demand for ticket will raised - so most likely, they will recover from the higher 25% of the bottom line. But I think SH wants 100 $5/ticket sale than 5 $100/ticket sale.
    They've already made their profit on the tickets that are on Stubhub. I bought the ticket. If a fan can't go to the game, there's nothing wrong with Stubhub. Amazingly, they even make a profit, already, on Stubhub's tickets. So, whenever I sell the ticket that I've already bought from the Yankees, they are making additional profit off the sold ticket.

They're getting a money grab, but just not enough for Levine's greedy pockets.

I never had to use Stubhub to get rid of tickets. For one, I buy a plan that I use. Secondly, for the games I can't go to I've never had a problem selling tickets at face value.

its not going to matter what the yankees do. ticket holders will still be able to use stubhub to sell their tickets via instant download. unless the yankees restrict you from printing your tickets, you will still be able to sell via instant download on stubhub.

print your ticket to a pdf, and upload the ticket to stubhub. its that simple. and without the official partnership, you'll be able to sell your tickets until gametime.

its really not going to matter if the yankees cut the relationship off or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    They've already made their profit on the tickets that are on Stubhub. I bought the ticket. If a fan can't go to the game, there's nothing wrong with Stubhub. Amazingly, they even make a profit, already, on Stubhub's tickets. So, whenever I sell the ticket that I've already bought from the Yankees, they are making additional profit off the sold ticket.

They're getting a money grab, but just not enough for Levine's greedy pockets.

The Yankees get no profit from the sale - for profit or loss. They get their cut at the bottom line as agreed upon with MLB and Stubhub. This is part of the contract agreement to use MLB's rights and so forth.

The only people that make any profit - Stubhub (it is a great platform to sell tickets - the safest in my opinion for both sellers and buyers) and the sellers (STH or box office's shoppers).

The Yankees get no profit from the sale - for profit or loss. They get their cut at the bottom line as agreed upon with MLB and Stubhub. This is part of the contract agreement to use MLB's rights and so forth.

The only people that make any profit - Stubhub (it is a great platform to sell tickets - the safest in my opinion for both sellers and buyers) and the sellers (STH or box office's shoppers).
    Once I buy a ticket, it's mine. If I sell it to someone else, there's no intrinsic reason that the Yankees should make a profit from that transaction.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

So let me get this straight, the Yankees get 5% and they get no profit from the sale? How is 5% no profit?

In my math, they get 100% of the original sale, and in addition they get 5% of whatever the secondary market price is. So please correct me if I am wrong, but if the secondary market sale exceeds a price of $0.00, then the Yankees somehow profit.

Or did your friends who know things explain it otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattdoc View Post
    So let me get this straight, the Yankees get 5% and they get no profit from the sale? How is 5% no profit?

In my math, they get 100% of the original sale, and in addition they get 5% of whatever the secondary market price is. So please correct me if I am wrong, but if the secondary market sale exceeds a price of $0.00, then the Yankees somehow profit.

Or did your friends who know things explain it otherwise?

There is NO profit on Stubhub - none what so ever!

Stubhub's bottom line is base on the fees they collected from the sellers and buyer - roughly 25% of the total transaction plus the service and download fees (another $10 per order).

The only profit - the sellers who actually sold tickets for more than face value!

Stubhub doesnt care if the seller lose - they still collect the fees mentioned above.

So, when you say "the Yankees benefit from the profit" - there is NO profit on stubhub because they are NOT selling anything. Stubhub is just a platform which stands to collect a lot of fees for being a convenient to sellers/buyers to any event. And nothing more.

I wish I would have come up with this golden goose that laid the "oh damn, you cant never go wrong with this" golden egg!

NYYF Cy Young

"StubHub charges a combined 25 percent fee to buyers and sellers on the exchange of tickets. Under the new arrangement, baseballís interactive company, Major League Baseball Advanced Media, which is partly owned by all the baseball franchises, will get a share of revenues, plus a fee, said Robert DuPuy, president and chief operating officer of the league. He declined to specify the precise revenue sharing of the deal."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/02/bu...02tickets.html
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

Stubhub's bottom line is base on the fees they collected from the sellers and buyer - roughly 25% of the total transaction plus the service and download fees (another $10 per order).

The only profit - the sellers who actually sold tickets for more than face value!

Stubhub doesnt care if the seller lose - they still collect the fees mentioned above.

So, when you say "the Yankees benefit from the profit" - there is NO profit on stubhub because they are NOT selling anything. Stubhub is just a platform which stands to collect a lot of fees for being a convenient to sellers/buyers to any event. And nothing more.

I wish I would have come up with this golden goose that laid the "oh damn, you cant never go wrong with this" golden egg!
    Stubhub is selling something, they are selling a service. They invested in computers, software, bandwidth, etc. They do not make tickets themselves, but they assist you in selling them. If you sell your tickets through them for $100, they make $25.
    Technically, its not all profit, as they have staff to pay, and servers to maintain, but the Yankees get 1/5 of this 25%.
    So the Yankees are doing nothing but signing an agreement to allow Stub hub to facilitate the sale, and for their generous offer they expect Stubhub to give them 20% of their revenue, or 5% of the ticket resale price.
    If I sell tickets to a friend, the Yankees see 0% if that sale. If I sell it for face, 10xface, or $0.02, the Yankees get NOTHING. If I sell it through Stub hub, the Yankees get something.
    The only reasons the Yankees care if we sell seats for less is that they in turn make less money on our secondary sale. That, and the longer people are forced to sell for less, the sooner people with season tickets realize they are overpaying for their seats, and eventually stop buying seats from the Yankees.
    Let's say that it cost you 25 cents for each post you make on this website. If the Yankees had a deal with NYYFans that gave them 20% of that, the Yankees would get a nickel per post. This site would profit, as it makes money when you post, and the Yankees would profit as they get a percentage.
    This website would not be making a product, yet they would be making money, much like Stubhub. And we call that making a profit, no? Fees are profit, once expenses are taken out. Or did my economics professors lie to me?

Thanks for the eco-101 discussion.

Not everyone can associate "profit" with actual profit.

To some, profit is just "hey my ticket cost me $50 and I sold for $150 - minus the fees, I get back $127.50. Yay, I made a profit of $77.50". This scenario is best to be STH.

But to those who got ton of student's loan and still in debt because of "higher education", you know that it would take a lifetime to explain what "profit" really is for a business.

I know SH needs the Yankees more than the Yankees need SH. Most likely, they will agree on some common ground and keep the "relationship" going. If not, oh well, it was good while it lasted.
    SH does not NEED the Yankees. But SH is sure better with the Yankees in their bar-code reissue portfolio.

How does the pending divorce impact me? Undecided at this time.

I wait until the lawyers sort the mess out.

The Yankees are being penny-wise and pound-foolish...

Cheers!
    -Doug

There are so many more questions than answers. Who will build the infrastructure required for this? Will the Yankees partner with other teams? What will be the "restrictions" that the Yankees put on a seller? Number of tickets you can sell? Price minimum? Will the Yankees "loosen" the ticket exchange program or eliminate it?

Will seniority and/or location of seats and/or number of seats and/or number of plans play a factor in this new system? What will prevent a ticket holder (ST or otherwise) from using SH or any other on line service? In myexperiences, the Yankees have exhibited issues (for a number of years) with their existing pre sale partnership with Ticketmaster.

Will the Yankee greed get the best of them?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_Pasqua_Pags View Post
    There are so many more questions than answers. Who will build the infrastructure required for this? Will the Yankees partner with other teams? What will be the "restrictions" that the Yankees put on a seller? Number of tickets you can sell? Price minimum? Will the Yankees "loosen" the ticket exchange program or eliminate it?

Will seniority and/or location of seats and/or number of seats and/or number of plans play a factor in this new system? What will prevent a ticket holder (ST or otherwise) from using SH or any other on line service? In myexperiences, the Yankees have exhibited issues (for a number of years) with their existing pre sale partnership with Ticketmaster.

Will the Yankee greed get the best of them?
    I think this is a given.

To some, profit is just "hey my ticket cost me $50 and I sold for $150 - minus the fees, I get back $127.50. Yay, I made a profit of $77.50". This scenario is best to be STH.
    But when the Yankees sell me my season tickets at $90 a seat, lets say they made no profit, as the seats are worth $90.
    If I sell the tickets, for say $50, I am losing money.
    However, if I sell my tickets for $50, Stubhub gets $12.50, and gives the Yankees $2.50.
    So if the Yankees did not profit by selling me the tickets, and just broke even, my selling them on Stubhub gives them a $2.50 profit.
    If the Yankees fell they do not profit unless I sell my seats for face value, then they must also think that they are underpricing the seats to me by 5%, as they would need that amount to break even.
    This is not the case, as if they were losing money selling tickets to the season ticket holders they would not bother having season ticket holders, or they would raise the ticket prices.
    So if one believes the Yankees sell their tickets at no worse than a break even point to me, then they profit from Stubhub sales.
    The only bad thing about low prices on Stubhub is that it makes it seem the Yankees have overvalued their tickets. But that only tarnishes their image, not their profit margin.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Mattdoc View Post
    But when the Yankees sell me my season tickets at $90 a seat, lets say they made no profit, as the seats are worth $90.
    If I sell the tickets, for say $50, I am losing money.
    However, if I sell my tickets for $50, Stubhub gets $12.50, and gives the Yankees $2.50.
    So if the Yankees did not profit by selling me the tickets, and just broke even, my selling them on Stubhub gives them a $2.50 profit.
    If the Yankees fell they do not profit unless I sell my seats for face value, then they must also think that they are underpricing the seats to me by 5%, as they would need that amount to break even.
    This is not the case, as if they were losing money selling tickets to the season ticket holders they would not bother having season ticket holders, or they would raise the ticket prices.
    So if one believes the Yankees sell their tickets at no worse than a break even point to me, then they profit from Stubhub sales.
    The only bad thing about low prices on Stubhub is that it makes it seem the Yankees have overvalued their tickets. But that only tarnishes their image, not their profit margin.
    Until there are fewer STH/TM tickets sold. The margin % may not change but the total profit amount certainly will.

NYYF HOF

Trying to eliminate sales on StubHub to hide loss of tickets' economic value on the seconfary market is like trying to eliminate fever by breaking all the thermometers.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Trying to eliminate sales on StubHub to hide loss of tickets' economic value on the seconfary market is like trying to eliminate fever by breaking all the thermometers.
    I wonder why the Yankees think they can marginalize SH just be taking away bar code reissue. It seems that other sports using some version of Ticketmasters ticket exchange still see SH handling most secondary sales. I really hope that Stub Hub responds by setting up a visable presence in Midtown and the Bronx to faciliate ticket sales

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Shore Yankee View Post
    I never had to use Stubhub to get rid of tickets. For one, I buy a plan that I use. Secondly, for the games I can't go to I've never had a problem selling tickets at face value.
    Almost the same situation for me. For the games I cannot attend, I have no problem selling my tickets to people I know at face value or slightly above. I sell maybe only 4-5 tickets per year on StubHub. If the Yankees and StubHub split, it won't affect me more than a minimum.
    "Any day is a good day when you can play baseball."

I go to SH first for my tickets to pretty much anything, sports or otherwise, because I'm used to dealing with them, and I like the interface for picking out the seats I want at better prices. I've been priced out in recent years, mainly because I'm getting married and parking/tolls/gas cost me like $75 before I'm even in the building, but I've used SH in the past to sell my tickets too when I can't go to the game. I'm not up on the relationship, but I would think the Yankees would want SH. It may expose the true market price of a ticket, but the Yankees still get their money for the full ticket price right? Does SH pay a percentage to the Yankees for the rights to sell their seats? In that case it's just more profit for the Yankees...

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    Almost the same situation for me. For the games I cannot attend, I have no problem selling my tickets to people I know at face value or slightly above. I sell maybe only 4-5 tickets per year on StubHub. If the Yankees and StubHub split, it won't affect me more than a minimum.
    If you keep selling tickets worth $15 to your friends for $50, after a while they won't be your friends any more...

Thread Information