+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Re: 2012 Draft Results

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Maybe they are positive abnormalities.

Like and extra tendon or something.
    No chance. The Yankees' MRI disintegrates tendons.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

NYYF Legend

Well, they wouldn't have gotten him for under slot if they were positive abnormalities.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

"Unfortunately a cruel twist of fate made what was to be an easy, clear-cut process one filled with doubt and concern. Upon agreeing to terms the Yankees sent Ty and his mother to Tampa, Fla., for his team-required physical on June 8th. During that exam Hensley had taken a routine MRI, which displayed an abnormality in his right shoulder. He has never been injured or experienced any pain in his throwing shoulder and from a scouting perspective was one of the most highly regarded pitchers in the draft with velocity readings in the mid-high 90's. In fact, the Yankees were present at all of Hensley's starts to witness this consistency. The news of the MRI findings came a shock to both parties. As a result the Hensley family and the Yankees took a step back to absorb the medical information they were given, and its impact moving forward.
    Despite being asymptomatic, having a normal physical exam and lack of any prior injury, the incidental findings on Hensley's MRI raised concern for the Yankees. There have been limited studies done on asymptomatic throwers with abnormalities like Hensley's. Although currently healthy and despite conflicting orthopedic evaluations of his MRI, the Yankees felt they were assuming some future risk with Hensley and reduced the agreed bonus amount.
    "People have told me all along there's baseball and the business of baseball, " Hensley said. "The fact that the Yankees think I may be of higher risk for injury in the future is all about the business of baseball, and I don't fault them for that; technically I guess it is an unknown. What is known to me is that I am healthy, feeling great and have never had any problems with my shoulder, period. It is extremely hard for me to swallow that a picture may say otherwise when I can do my thing and dial it up to 98 mph. The last 30 days have been the absolute hardest of my life, trying to decide what was truly best for me given my situation.
    "When I would throw my bullpens I would try to see if I could feel anything at all in my shoulder. I thought I would go crazy. I went through all the emotions you can go through sadness, anger, frustration you name it. The toughest thing still is that we don't know really what my situation is other than the fact my shoulder is built differently than most of the people out there. I have an abnormality that other people don't have, but heck that may be part of the reason I throw the way I do. We don't know what it means for the future, but it certainly is a non factor right now. Over the last few weeks I would watch R.A. Dickey on TV, and think well if he could get through it I can do it too. At the end of the day I have decided with much back and forth debate that the best place me to prove that my "abnormal" is my "normal" is with the team that thought highly enough of me to make me their 1st pick".
    "

http://sports.yahoo.com/olemiss/blog...ysp_frm_woah=1

Still doesn't say exactly what the abnormality is
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

NYYF Legend

Abnormalities or not, I'm just glad they signed him, if only so we could avoid the inevitable bitching that would come about if they hadn't
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

he hasn't been hurt yet so i'm glad he's signed.
    too much talent to let walk away. we're talking about the baseball Gods shining on us and forcing the supposed to be #10 pick down to use and him being a prep talent.

K. Levine-Flandrup ‏@YankeesDraft

@Hopjake Mesa gets some, and then I'm not sure what else. I'd still doubt Moore, VJax, or Stewart. Maybe Stewart, actually...who knows.

i'm still hoping for one of them. Stewart would definitely work(yes i know he's likely off to FSU)

I'm hoping that when I get up later today, Vince Jackson is a signed & sealed NY Yankee farmhand. If this kid ever harnesses his ability AND he plays his entire career in the Bronx, someone's gonna write a rock/baseball opera about him before it's all said & done.

Very happy they signed Hensley & Mesa, Jr.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmxstreetrider86 View Post
    Excellent news, I should have let Javy masquerade around for a bit longer to see his reaction..........nah
    Youre no fun.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Wouldn't it be ironic if Hensley turned out to have an serious injury free career.

Of all the pitchers we have had that had injuries, the one with abnormalities in the MRI is the one who got through clean.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Mesa is apparently done.The New York Yankees will officially announce their deal with Jose Mesa Jr. on Friday after a few weeks of negotiations. The draft pick let the news slip by responding to a follower's tweet shortly after first-rounder Ty Hensley signed. Mesa Jr. was selected in the 24th round of the 2012 MLB Draft out of Charles Flanagan High School in Florida. It appears that he will forego his commitment to pitch for Seminole Community College and start off in the Yankees' minor league system.
    http://www.stirringstraw.com/
    I posted earlier the report that Smith is still in play. I wonder if it is him and Mesa that will be signed, and they will actually avoid the 5% tax?.

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    "Unfortunately a cruel twist of fate made what was to be an easy, clear-cut process one filled with doubt and concern. Upon agreeing to terms the Yankees sent Ty and his mother to Tampa, Fla., for his team-required physical on June 8th. During that exam Hensley had taken a routine MRI, which displayed an abnormality in his right shoulder. He has never been injured or experienced any pain in his throwing shoulder and from a scouting perspective was one of the most highly regarded pitchers in the draft with velocity readings in the mid-high 90's. In fact, the Yankees were present at all of Hensley's starts to witness this consistency. The news of the MRI findings came a shock to both parties. As a result the Hensley family and the Yankees took a step back to absorb the medical information they were given, and its impact moving forward.
    Despite being asymptomatic, having a normal physical exam and lack of any prior injury, the incidental findings on Hensley's MRI raised concern for the Yankees. There have been limited studies done on asymptomatic throwers with abnormalities like Hensley's. Although currently healthy and despite conflicting orthopedic evaluations of his MRI, the Yankees felt they were assuming some future risk with Hensley and reduced the agreed bonus amount.
    "People have told me all along there's baseball and the business of baseball, " Hensley said. "The fact that the Yankees think I may be of higher risk for injury in the future is all about the business of baseball, and I don't fault them for that; technically I guess it is an unknown. What is known to me is that I am healthy, feeling great and have never had any problems with my shoulder, period. It is extremely hard for me to swallow that a picture may say otherwise when I can do my thing and dial it up to 98 mph. The last 30 days have been the absolute hardest of my life, trying to decide what was truly best for me given my situation.
    "When I would throw my bullpens I would try to see if I could feel anything at all in my shoulder. I thought I would go crazy. I went through all the emotions you can go through sadness, anger, frustration you name it. The toughest thing still is that we don't know really what my situation is other than the fact my shoulder is built differently than most of the people out there. I have an abnormality that other people don't have, but heck that may be part of the reason I throw the way I do. We don't know what it means for the future, but it certainly is a non factor right now. Over the last few weeks I would watch R.A. Dickey on TV, and think well if he could get through it I can do it too. At the end of the day I have decided with much back and forth debate that the best place me to prove that my "abnormal" is my "normal" is with the team that thought highly enough of me to make me their 1st pick"."

http://sports.yahoo.com/olemiss/blog...ysp_frm_woah=1

Still doesn't say exactly what the abnormality is
    No, they didn't, but apparently his shoulder is built a little different than most others and he doesn't exhibit any injury symptoms now which means he might be alright despite the abnormality. I'm pretty sure the Yankees have sent that MRI to different experts like Andrews and some other shoulder experts. If they didn't sign off of it, I highly doubt the Yankees would not have rescinded their offer all together especially after the Pineda fiasco.
    Please fire Cashman, so some Yankee fans can have hope again.

Another article about Hensley's signing.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...r-1-2-million/

By the way, the kid has a terrific bat with great power so pitching is not his only avenue to being a professional ballplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    No, they didn't, but apparently his shoulder is built a little different than most others and he doesn't exhibit any injury symptoms now which means he might be alright despite the abnormality. I'm pretty sure the Yankees have sent that MRI to different experts like Andrews and some other shoulder experts. If they didn't sign off of it, I highly doubt the Yankees would not have rescinded their offer all together especially after the Pineda fiasco.
    I really wonder if they would not have even signed him if it was 2011, because of the rules about not being able to allocate the signing bonus to different players? Obviously Stafford comes to mind in this context. By getting Hensley below slot, they were able to hedge their bet with Mesa jr, and perhaps someone else (Dalton Smith?). It goes without saying that you would prefer having Hensley and Mesa jr signed, than the extra pick next year. I really believe there is something to this theory, because of the timing of Mesa jr. Hensley was a late announcement (Past 11PM EST), and not far after that, Mesa jr announced he is signing (I have to assume it is something over $100,000 (Similiar to Lail?)). Meaning they earlier agreed to terms, but that his signing was conditional on Hensley taking the $1.2m offer (Basically no Hensley, no Mesa jr). Once he accepted it, then Mesa jr became free to sign. This Draft was essentially a high stakes game of poker, and the Yankees did very well for a change.

NYYF Legend

Can they spend the $400k they have left over from their top 10 draft pick pool on their lower round draft picks?

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler51 View Post
    I really wonder if they would not have even signed him if it was 2011, because of the rules about not being able to allocate the signing bonus to different players? Obviously Stafford comes to mind in this context. By getting Hensley below slot, they were able to hedge their bet with Mesa jr, and perhaps someone else (Dalton Smith?). It goes without saying that you would prefer having Hensley and Mesa jr signed, than the extra pick next year. I really believe there is something to this theory, because of the timing of Mesa jr. Hensley was a late announcement (Past 11PM EST), and not far after that, Mesa jr announced he is signing (I have to assume it is something over $100,000 (Similiar to Lail?)). Meaning they earlier agreed to terms, but that his signing was conditional on Hensley taking the $1.2m offer (Basically no Hensley, no Mesa jr). Once he accepted it, then Mesa jr became free to sign. This Draft was essentially a high stakes game of poker, and the Yankees did very well for a change.
    The rules in 2011, wouldn't have affected their signing of Hensley because they could allocate their budget anyway they want to prior to this year.

Evidently, Hensley agreed to the 1.6M contract offer right after the draft. However, he took this physical around June 8th or so and they found this issue with his shoulder so both parties took a step back to properly evaluate the situation. The Yankees probably sent his MRI to other shoulder experts like Andrews and such and once they got a consensus medical opinion, they gave him another contract offer for 400K less. So Hensley probably sat on this latest offer for the last 3 weeks or so while he made up his mind to either accept it or go to college. The kid was ready to be a professional player, but I'm sure he had to come to grips mentally and emotionally with not only 1.2M versus 1.6M, but whether his shoulder is actually a concern or not.

So the Yankees knew they had this extra 400K to play with if Hensley accepted their offer, but their offers to other players couldn't be finalized until Hensley signed on the dotted line which probably happened yesterday in the late afternoon. Also, they knew prior to yesterday, what Mesa's price was and probably the same with any other prospect they sign today.

Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan View Post
    Can they spend the $400k they have left over from their top 10 draft pick pool on their lower round draft picks?
    That's what they're doing with Mesa Jr.

Very glad they got Hensely signed. Mesa too. I still don't think they get Jackson, Moore or Stewart though. Possibly Dalton Smith, 17 year old catcher though, who Levine called 'an intriguing potential impact bat'

Yesterday I was certain the Moore door was slammed shut, now it might be open ajar. K. Levine-Flandrup@YankeesDraft
    @Ty29Moore Right, but the question is if anything changed for you with hensley's signing...
    Ty Moore@Ty29Moore
    To clear things up I have not signed yet, Ty Hensley signed not me.
    The interesting choice of words is signed yet. Not makes no difference, still going to UCLA, not signing or any similiar kind of response. It makes you think that something may still be in the works. Does it mean he is signing? No. Does it mean the odds are in the Yankees favor? No. But there is still an outside chance this gets done. It will be very interesting to see what the Mesa jr number is? If it is less than expected, the odds just increased that Moore might be signed. I go back to the quote by Hensley:The Yankees and Hensley both are excited that they could come to a mutually beneficial resolution. The Yankees have treated me well during this process, Hensley said. They have had to work through things just like I have. We are in this together.A deal like this says they want me and I want them. By being honest about what happened Im hoping that this situation will lead to a better understanding of medicals like mine in the future.Theres no sense in being bitter about my reduced bonus or medical situation. Im still living a dream and grateful for the opportunity. Right now I think we all just want to put this behind us and concentrate on the impact I can have on the Yankees now and in the future.
    One thing that can be reasonably inferred, is he is aware that he was not nickeled and dimed by the organization, and the savings will be put into player development (Also known as signings), instead of Steinbrenner's pocket (Which of course, occurred with Mesa jr). 8 hours to go.

Shoulder abnormalities? This can only end well. Nonetheless I'm glad he's signed.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

maybe it's one of those "not sure if i should report this or not" incidents
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post
    Shoulder abnormalities? This can only end well. Nonetheless I'm glad he's signed.
    I hope more information comes out because of all this crazy speculation about the word "abnormalities" which might turn out to be no big deal and it never affects his career.

Devoted Member

If nothing else, the abnormalities clear an additional $400,000 to spend lower round picks.
    [IMG]http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/1401/nyybofs0.th.gif[/IMG]

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I hope more information comes out because of all this crazy speculation about the word "abnormalities" which might turn out to be no big deal and it never affects his career.
    I doubt more will, or if it's really relevant, as very few can interpret what it really means, and I suspect even qualified doctors would disagree. Most likely, all it is is an increase in his likelihood for some issues down the road, but no one will be able to say if anything is really going to happen or not.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

26 draft picks signed so far is pretty nice. would still love to get Stewart or Jackson signed but i doubt we have the money left over for it.

Mesa Jr is a pretty nice get, he and Diaz have some nice arms to develop moving forward.

Devoted Member

Physicals have to be in place by the deadline. It would be interesting to know which unsigned players completed physicals already. Those who haven't can't be signed now, even with a change of heart. Those who have are still possibilities.
    [IMG]http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/1401/nyybofs0.th.gif[/IMG]

Kendall Rogers@KendallRogersPG #Yankees have agreed to terms and will sign 26th-rdr, #Maryland RHP Charlie Haslup. The reliever made 21 appearances last season. #MLBDraft
    Cashman told Accorsi, [B]I feel the responsibility of millions of Yankee fans on my shoulders, fans who take this very seriously and for which every game is very important. I think of that every day[/B].

Thread Information