+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Re: Need a CLEVER statement about Santana's 1 Hitter Game.. Oops, I mean No Hitter...

there's something to be said for the fact that Galaragga kinda sucks as a ML pitcher and Johan is likely a borderline HOFer
    like delv, but better

NYYF Legend

Re: Need a CLEVER statement about Santana's 1 Hitter Game.. Oops, I mean No Hitter...

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    Gallaraga's accomplishment was a perfect game, not just a no-hitter. Those are still very rare and exceptional.
    Yes those are rare and exceptional. But Casey at the Bat is right and he doesn't even need to go that far (100 years). How many baseball fans know who are Len Baker and Mike Witt now?

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    As for Johan, I think hardcore Mets fans will remember him as the guy who threw the first. Yankee fans know a lot about their history, no reason why Mets fans shouldn't, especially milestones, and controversial ones at that.
    They sure have a lot fewer that they have to store in the old mental filing cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Yes those are rare and exceptional. But Casey at the Bat is right and he doesn't even need to go that far (100 years). How many baseball fans know who are Len Baker and Mike Witt now?
    I remember Mike Witt pretty well, probably because as a kid every pack of baseball cards I bought seemed to have 3 Mike Witt cards in it. And because of the perfect game. And because he played for the Yankees. But your point stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    All sports, baseball, football, basketball, tennin, golf, auto racing, track depend on the calls of the officials. They day they make everything electronic is the day that they take the excitement out of the game. Give Santana his due, he pitched a brilliant game after coming back from a horrible injury. The Mets haters shold relax

Andy
    I agree with the last two statements, but not the rest of this. Personally, I'm excited by what goes on on the field between the professional athletes. I don't find wondering if the officials are going to call it right exciting. If they could find a way to electronically make the correct calls all the time in sports in a real-time fashion, I think that would be a welcome change. It would make the games more fair and put more focus where it should be: on the amazing players who play at such a high level. Of course, I think the technology to do all of that in all sports is still a long ways off. Baseball might be the easiest to do it with since almost all calls in baseball should have a clear and indisputable answer, unlike, say, pass interference in football or fouls in basketball, but even baseball has issues.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    And that's why I applaud Santana's no hitter. It was a great accomplishment. Many, many games depend on a single incident, a fielders brilliant play, Jeffrey Maiers (a Balyimore fan) great catch of a non homer, an umpires contriversial call.

All sports, baseball, football, basketball, tennin, golf, auto racing, track depend on the calls of the officials. They day they make everything electronic is the day that they take the excitement out of the game. Give Santana his due, he pitched a brilliant game after coming back from a horrible injury. The Mets haters shold relax

Andy
    I could not agree more. The intangibles is what adds the interest. It would be like making a spicy food bland.
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerNatural View Post
    I could not agree more. The intangibles is what adds the interest. It would be like making a spicy food bland.
    I'm torn on this. Ideally the umpires go relatively (if not completely) unnoticed, but I agree with you it would be weird if they weren't there. While I want them to get the call right, and I agree with instant replay in certain conditions (even beyond what is in place today), I'm not sure I'd want to see a day where managers never walk out to hand in lineup cards, argue blown calls, etc. Good thing AJ doesn't post here anymore, or I'd be getting the "HUMAN ELEMENT!!!1!!" response to this.

I like the idea of an additional umpire in the booth that can be called upon to IMMEDIATELY review certain plays in certain circumstances, or even a challenge system like in the NFL where the manager can require a review. But frankly I think umpires might add a bit more than people that want technology to replace them realize. Who knows.

I think it's possible that people will remember Galarraga's game - not as a perfect game, because it wasn't, but as Galarraga's game.

After all, neither Ernie Shore nor Harvey Haddix is credited with a perfect game, either. Those games are remembered better than most perfect games.

Mr. Know-It-All Casey at the Bat's Avatar

I know mike Witt only because he pitched for the Angels. I have no idea who Len baker is..

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Casey at the Bat View Post
    I know mike Witt only because he pitched for the Angels. I have no idea who Len baker is..
    Sorry typo mistake. It should be Len Barker.

Sorry typo mistake. It should be Len Barker.
    The one time I went to Cooperstown was the day after Barker's perfect game. That was May, 1981, and it was the tenth perfect game ever pitched (actually, I think at that time they may have counted Ernie Shore) - and only the fifth since 1922.

Since then there have been 11 more.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I remember Mike Witt pretty well, probably because as a kid every pack of baseball cards I bought seemed to have 3 Mike Witt cards in it. And because of the perfect game. And because he played for the Yankees. But your point stands.
    that post seriously made me laugh.

I agree though. A hundred years is a long time, things phase out. Unless you are told about it by your father, grandfather, or you actually love to research history these incident will fade over time. I think Mets fans will remember Johan for a very long time, but most people are right. Someone posted Dallas Braden's game before as "that guy from the A's" and that is proof right there how quickly we forget.

To be honest though, I may remember it for the rest of my life because my son was there, with my ex wife and her boyfriend, because she stupidly did not think that it was my job to take my son to his first baseball game. And I am furious about it. But, whatever. We can move on....
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

To be honest though, I may remember it for the rest of my life because my son was there, with my ex wife and her boyfriend, because she stupidly did not think that it was my job to take my son to his first baseball game. And I am furious about it. But, whatever. We can move on....
    Women, amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    Women, amirite?
    Seriously. As much as I tried to explain it to her she doesn't get it. And it was a Mets game to make it even worse.

At least he knows where he stands though. lol
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF MVP

Someone posted Dallas Braden's game before as "that guy from the A's" and that is proof right there how quickly we forget.
    LOL the only thing that came to mind when seeing that name was ARod running across the mound.
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

121st Street & a On The End Ave.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HerbieLee20 View Post
    LOL the only thing that came to mind when seeing that name was ARod running across the mound.
    Oh shoot - that's why I kept thinking I should know this guy! Thanks.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Mr. Know-It-All Casey at the Bat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HerbieLee20 View Post
    Haha. And Braden crying about it.

Thread Information