+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 70 FirstFirst ... 17 57 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 1735
    Devoted Member

Re: 2012 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors...

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Did you write that article, and/or are you Mrs. Ryan?
    Any relation to this Mrs. Ryan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o59dS0G3_QE
    "The saddest thing in life is wasted talent"

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Hey, cut the sarcasm - these two were the mainstays of the mid-60's to early 70's Yankee teams. Solid defense up the middle and scrappy batters.
    Michael was known as the Master of the Hidden Ball Trick. That's because he didn't do much of anything else well.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Michael was known as the Master of the Hidden Ball Trick. That's because he didn't do much of anything else well.
    Well, I do think he morphed into a pretty fair evaluator of talent, although from a playing perspective, your point is well taken.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Well, I do think he morphed into a pretty fair evaluator of talent, although from a playing perspective, your point is well taken.
    Agreed.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    Just a slight difference in personnel when George took over wouldn't you say. Not that Horace Clark and Stick Michael weren't excellent players in their own right(/sarcasm).

I was just responding to fvkw who was trying to make a comment that the kids are not as successful as their dad was by asking "how many have they won since he died " meaning WS, the kids, and George respectfully.

Too many youngsters hace put George on a pedistal bigger than the one erected in the new YS. George was good in that he wanted to win and he wasn't afraid to spend money, but he wasn't a "baseball man' in the truest sense of the term

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

The Boss was a great owner who won a lot of titles! Didn't he bring in Reggie, Roger, Wade? Just saying, we will see how much we win without him, time will tell. I miss The Boss.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fvkw View Post
    The Boss was a great owner who won a lot of titles! Didn't he bring in Reggie, Roger, Wade? Just saying, we will see how much we win without him, time will tell. I miss The Boss.
    It is no coincidence that both of our World Series runs in his tenure came right after periods where he was banned from the game. Yes, his money did help but him firing managers every other week, sending players down if they had a a bad game and trading young players for 38 year old washouts just to name a few things made for juicy headlines but not a well run organizaton. I can only wonder how many more titles we would have won had he not been the 1980's version of Peter Angelos but only worse, much worse.
    Life is good!

August 7, 2000 - NYY claim Jose Canseco to prevent him from going to the another team (the Boston Red Sox??).

Interesting article from the NYTimes archives about this era - http://www.nytimes.com/2000/08/08/sp...ted=all&src=pm - it states that Cashman placed 48 waiver claims during the deluge of waiver filings in the 2000 season.

Just saying that there are reasons to claim a player - not always good reasons, but reasons.
    At least Canseco was still hitting when the Yankees acquired him. Players like Suzuki go unclaimed all the time because nobody wants to be on the hook for that kind of money for a player like that.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    It is no coincidence that both of our World Series runs in his tenure came right after periods where he was banned from the game. Yes, his money did help but him firing managers every other week, sending players down if they had a a bad game and trading young players for 38 year old washouts just to name a few things made for juicy headlines but not a well run organizaton. I can only wonder how many more titles we would have won had he not been the 1980's version of Peter Angelos but only worse, much worse.
    As much as the Boss did to change the culture of the Yankees, I am a firm believer that he probably cost the Yankees some titles because of his impatience and recklessness. During the 2000s alone, he made decisions that cost the franchise. The best thing that ever happened to us over the past thirty years was George being suspended.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

George had the right ideas, he just didn't always execute on them well. It came from the heart, the guy wanted to win and would do anything to make that happen.

The problem was he wasn't a baseball mind, but he kept close control of baseball decisions. He was the best owner baseball has known, but at the same time also the worst.

I wouldn't change a thing, except the ARod deal..
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

I'd have taken Vlad over Sheffield

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    No doubt.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Jay Buhner might have been useful
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

No doubt. I remember 99% of us here thought the same at that time.

NYYF Legend

Had the playoff structure been the same in the 80's as it is now, they may have won multiple AL pennants and possibly a WS championship (or two) during that era.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Jay Buhner might have been useful
    "Well, Buhner was a good prospect, no question about it. But my baseball people love Ken Phelps' bat. They kept saying 'Ken Phelps , Ken Phelps'."
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    No doubt. I remember 99% of us here thought the same at that time.
    I certainly did. Even without the Vlad part, just the "no Sheffield" part.
    - Barry Manilow

That Casey McGehee trade, whew. Thank god for that.

if we don't get a number 2 pitcher, our season is going down the toilet like a big old number 2.

Given all it has had to overcome, the team deserved some help at the deadline. I have to think Cashman could have done better than just a fringe backup IF.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by coachtsurfing View Post
    if we don't get a number 2 pitcher, our season is going down the toilet like a big old number 2.
    Kuroda is pitching like a #2, maybe even a #1.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber999 View Post
    Given all it has had to overcome, the team deserved some help at the deadline. I have to think Cashman could have done better than just a fringe backup IF.
    I'm sure that he could have. We don't know what the prices were for realistic pitchers that could have been acquired.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber999 View Post
    I'm glad somebody finally said this. It seemed like just about every team in contention got some kind of pitching help except the Yankees. Pitching, pitching, and more pitching. Once you get past CC, it's a crap shoot.
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

I'm sure that he could have. We don't know what the prices were for realistic pitchers that could have been acquired.
    i agree. i didnt want to sell the farm for a rental, but i would have given up something decent to get something decent for a few years that wasn't going to break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by coachtsurfing View Post
    i agree. i didnt want to sell the farm for a rental, but i would have given up something decent to get something decent for a few years that wasn't going to break the bank.
    Example?
    Team Northern Lights

Thread Information