+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 70 FirstFirst ... 28 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 48 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors...

Jon Heyman update; Yankees in on everyone but not even close to a deal for anyone. Name drops Span, Upton and Victorino specifically. Here's a nice bit on Span:

3. Span. The Yankees like him, too. But one source said "the Twins are asking for a ton.'' That's probably not a shock considering the interest all-around in center fielders. The Twins seem more open to dealing him than Josh Willingham, for instance, but that doesn't mean they're completely open to it.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...king-for-an-of

Quote Originally Posted by tim2nyy View Post
    There is now a report that the Yankees might have some interest in picking up Ankiel after all:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...ck-ankiel.html
    I hope this rumor has no legs. The Yankees couldn't possibly be that desperate. If swisher needs to be put on the DL, just bring up Dickerson.

NYYF Legend

I hope that the Yankees stay away from Ankeil as I do not see how he could add any value to what the Yankees already have.

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    I hope that the Yankees stay away from Ankeil as I do not see how he could add any value to what the Yankees already have.

I agree. Enough of these scrubs who aren't going to last longer than a week.
    Ain't it EVIL to LIVE backwards

Who are the other "scrubs" that have not lasted longer than a week on the 2012 Yankees? McDonald? Whom they picked up knowing he would be on the team only as long as they needed only 4 starters over the break while CC was on the DL? There is hardly a pattern of trying out different "scrubs" on this team.

Anyway, other people who state that putting Ankiel on the team and giving him a shot for a couple of weeks would cost nothing but his relatively low salary forget that, unless Swisher is place on the DL, it would probably cost them Wise who is out of options. You can only carry 25 players. Wise is a much better OFer and has shown as much offense as has Ankiel this year. It is not a clear call by any means.

Victorino would be if they could get him for a fair price.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Anyway, other people who state that putting Ankiel on the team and giving him a shot for a couple of weeks would cost nothing but his relatively low salary forget that, unless Swisher is place on the DL, it would probably cost them Wise who is out of options. You can only carry 25 players. Wise is a much better OFer and has shown as much offense as has Ankiel this year. It is not a clear call by any means.
    Excellent point about the roster issue. Even if Swisher is put on the 15-day DL, the team would have to make a 40-man roster move to add Ankiel.

Funny sidebit - if you look at the baseballreference.com page for Rick Ankiel, the next batter in line is -------Joe Girardi. Rick Ankiel Baseball Reference Page
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

I would not be surprised if Cashman makes another blockbuster trade in the next week.....especially if Swisher is out for any length of time. New outfielder and another pitcher could be in the works, if the Yanks see a need before August begins.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    I would not be surprised if Cashman makes another blockbuster trade in the next week.....especially if Swisher is out for any length of time. New outfielder and another pitcher could be in the works, if the Yanks see a need before August begins.
    Justin Upton. PLEASE.

Sherman wrote an article yesterday saying how Upton is exactly the type of player Cashman has been trading for - an OF with major talent who has been struggling. Swisher, Grandy...

He suggest a package of Mason Williams, Phelps and Nunez (I think Nunez but the first two were the major pieces). I don't think that gets it done, and I'd give up considerably more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Justin Upton. PLEASE.

Sherman wrote an article yesterday saying how Upton is exactly the type of player Cashman has been trading for - an OF with major talent who has been struggling. Swisher, Grandy...

He suggest a package of Mason Williams, Phelps and Nunez (I think Nunez but the first two were the major pieces). I don't think that gets it done, and I'd give up considerably more than that.
    And you will to get that deal done which is why I don't see the deal getting done this mid-season because it might impact the major league roster and I don't think Cashman wants to do that right now.
    Is this the end of the Brian Cashman era?

Justin Upton. PLEASE.

If only Sherman were Dbacks GM for a day. I like Phelps, and have never seen Williams but hear great things about his potential. But the odds of Williams reaching Upton's level of ability are slim.

Justin Upton. PLEASE.

The only way Upton releases his no trade clause is with a contract extention that topples 7-8+ years and nine figures. With two terrible contracts already on board, do you think Cashman wants to handcuff the Yankees financial flexibility in the future by sinking all that money into one player?
    Last edited by Benefactor; 07-23-12 at 03:31 PM.

NYYF Legend

I think Cashman read my prediction.

NYYF Legend

i wouldn't consider ichiro a blockbuster trade, as he's more of a fading star... it's like when the white sox acquired griffey

i do hope cashman is now in the process of fulfilling the second part of your request though
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

I don't think they'll do anything else, but this trade shouldn't preclude them from doing so. They gave up nothing in money/talent. Ichiro would actually be an ideal 4th OF'er.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

NYYF Legend

I wouldn't be surprised if Ichiro suddenly feels that he can be as good a hitter as he was in his prime....watch his hitting an speed on the bases take off.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ichiro suddenly feels that he can be as good a hitter as he was in his prime....
    I suspect that Ichiro's hitting isn't really a function of how good he feels he can be.

I wonder what it'd take to get Kelly Shoppach. Dude murders lefties: .272/.367/.536 for his career (556PA); can't hit worth a lick against RHP, but he'd be a major improvement over Stewart.

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    The only way Upton releases his no trade clause is with a contract extention that topples 7-8+ years and nine figures. With two terrible contracts already on board, do you think Cashman wants to handcuff the Yankees financial flexibility in the future by sinking all that money into one player?
    When said player already has two seasons where he's posted a wOBA over .380 before turning 25? Yea, probably. I don't think he'd be looking at a 7-8 year extension, that's kinda OD.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    I suspect that Ichiro's hitting isn't really a function of how good he feels he can be.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

I think Cashman is going to be the on lookout for either a blockbuster trade that will improve the team beyond this year (Justin Upton) or a bargain deal. A couple guys I think might make sense: Upton, Hunter Pence (signed next year could allow the Yankees to let Swisher walk), Geovany Soto (backup C, value is low, good candidate to work with KLong, one more year under team control), Liriano (is pitching really well of late, but really depends on what the Twins want cause he is definitely a risk but with Pettitte returning probably a worthwhile one), Garza (signed next year, improves rotation now), and Carlos Ruiz (I doubt Philly deals him given they have a 5M option for next year, but if they decide to sell high, now would be the time to do it and he'd make sense for the Yankees as an immediate starter this year and next).

NYYF Legend

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/81...-year-deadline

It's officially time to put an end to Justin Upton trade talk. For now, at least.
    After several weeks of speculation and rumors surrounding the Arizona Diamondbacks' star right fielder, team president Derrick Hall said Tuesday that there's "close to a 100 percent chance nothing happens'' with Upton between now and the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.
    I hope he's our #1 target in the offseason.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/81...-year-deadline

I hope he's our #1 target in the offseason.
    "Close to 100%" leaves the door open. Does it not?
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    "Close to 100%" leaves the door open. Does it not?
    I imagine that this is what a GM would say when he is trying to get teams to pony up better offers.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bomber999 View Post
    I imagine that this is what a GM would say when he is trying to get teams to pony up better offers.
    Or if he was sick of getting phone calls from reporters. Didn't a similar thing happen with Upton before the season, and he ended up not getting traded?
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Since Mike Stanton was floated out there, here's a CBS report on the unlikeliness of that guy getting traded:

Scott Miller of CBSSports.com reported Monday that Hanley Ramirez is being talked about, and that is certainly the case. Sources suggested to Miller the Marlins may hold onto Johnson, though it's clear they are in sell mode and teams are scouting Johnson.

They'd be willing to talk about Bell (that may be a tough sell), Randy Choate, Carlos Lee and other veterans, perhaps even Buehrle, though one rival GM said he believed they'd have to be "overwhelmed" to trade Buehrle. But Stanton, who has monster power potential, and Reyes, who just signed for $106 million over six years, seem the most likely to stay.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...-stanton-reyes

I think Choate would be a huge additional piece to this pen.

NYYF Legend

I don't see what Choate would bring to the table that we aren't already getting with Rapada. The last thing this team needs is another OOGY, of the L or R variety.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Thread Information