+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 70 FirstFirst ... 25 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 45 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors...

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...nley-bell.html

Good lord I hope this isn't true. I want to see the Sox paying Crawford for the next 5 years.
    They will be paying him for the next five years as I don't see a club trading for him and picking up that entire contract, knowing he's going to have to undergo TJS at some point.
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...nley-bell.html

Good lord I hope this isn't true. I want to see the Sox paying Crawford for the next 5 years.
    Per Olney: nevermind, it aint true.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    They will be paying him for the next five years as I don't see a club trading for him and picking up that entire contract, knowing he's going to have to undergo TJS at some point.
    That seems odd to me, too, unless the Sox are eating a lot of his contract.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    I think they are going to try to trade one of Lee/Halladay.
    I'd take Halladay.

I also wouldn't be averse to topping that offer for Hamels.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    That seems odd to me, too, unless the Sox are eating a lot of his contract.
    Seems strange to me, but knowing how the Red Sox has operated the last couple of years, it might not be so strange after all.
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I'd love Josh Willingham. Also helps that the Twins suck and that their GM is also dumb.
    Terry Ryan is back to the GM spot this year.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I'd take Halladay.

I also wouldn't be averse to topping that offer for Hamels.
    I wonder what Halladay would cost.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I wonder what Halladay would cost.
    Have to imagine at least 2 of our top hitting prospects plus some B level pitching prospects thrown in there.

Wouldn't be opposed to poking around Hunter Pence if Philly is looking to shed salary.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ElDandy View Post
    Have to imagine at least 2 of our top hitting prospects plus some B level pitching prospects thrown in there.

Wouldn't be opposed to poking around Hunter Pence if Philly is looking to shed salary.
    I imagine Philadelphia would want something closer to the majors than our top hitting prospects. I'd guess they'd want offense that could help immediately, or at least in 2013
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I imagine Philadelphia would want something closer to the majors than our top hitting prospects. I'd guess they'd want offense that could help immediately, or at least in 2013
    Agreed. However since we're a little light on ML ready position players right now, they'd have to settle (hypothetically) for some good hitting prospects who are a few years away. In other words, we probably don't match up too well with their needs.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Not Cashman's style to go after Pence, IMHO. I almost think we can pencil Victorino into our lineup by the end of the month, though, if we're doing business with Philadelphia. Except even that's too predictable. Whatever Cashman does, I'm not sure it's even on our radar right now.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by NYYankeesFan92 View Post
    I meant to say top ten. I just don't think he's in the same class as guys like Cy Young, Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson & Grover Cleveland Alexander but i can certainly see where you're coming from.
    It's hard to compare guys across different eras, but I have no reservations putting his name among those.

At his peak, he was one of the most intimidating pitchers of all time. 17,000 times batters strolled up to the plate, and almost 5,000 times they walked back to the dugout shaking their heads after a strikeout.

Once he stopped giving up the free passes in '94, he produced a 170 ERA+, 11.9 K/9, 1.07 WHIP, 4 consecutive cy youngs, etc.

The guy was UTTERLY dominant, and I'm sure he scared the hell out of batters. There were lefties that reportedly would beg out of games he was starting.

The Yankees had scouts watching Wandy today. Thankfully, he pitched poorly.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/sc...iver-a-clunker

That is a lot of $$ on the books for PHI in '13

Per Scott Miller of CBS Sports:

Any trade #Twins make this month, they will require starting pitching in return. Short on pitching and desperate to rebuild inventory.
    I know Willingham is apparently off-limits but I wonder if a package starting with Phelps and Betances might get them to think twice on that stance.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    This item from the Philadelphia section of Bleacher Report

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...busters/page/6

Yankees acquire: Cole Hamels

Phillies acquire: RHP Dellin Betances, C Francisco Cervelli, OF Mason Williams, SS Jose Pirela
    Of the four, the one I would hate to give up is Mason Williams, but you do have to give some quality to get quality.

If the Phillies were to bite on this deal, I would take it.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Oh come on Amaro would just laugh and hang up if that offer were made.

If the Phillies were to bite on this deal, I would have Amaro drug-tested.
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

Of the four, the one I would hate to give up is Mason Williams, but you do have to give some quality to get quality.

Too much for me for a rental. And if Hamels doesn't accept the latest offer, Philly will have no leverage. Maybe if an extension could be worked out, but if that's the cost, I'm content to wait on him and hope he reaches free agency.

If the Phillies have ANY interest in those other three guys, however, I'd be very happy to trade them for pretty much anything. Especially Cervelli.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Too much for me for a rental. And if Hamels doesn't accept the latest offer, Philly will have no leverage. Maybe if an extension could be worked out, but if that's the cost, I'm content to wait on him and hope he reaches free agency.

If the Phillies have ANY interest in those other three guys, however, I'd be very happy to trade them for pretty much anything. Especially Cervelli.
    I agree, not sure that trade scenario makes much sense for either team.

I don't know much about Pirela, but I think some forumers that follow the minors much closer than I have been chatting him up a bit. He has a .321 / .386 / .498 triple slash at Trenton. Have no idea re: his SS defense.

Also, as down as Betances' stock is, unless there is a team that thinks they could "fix" him there's probably more upside in continuing to work with him than there is in any ML ready help they might get with him as a meaningful component of a trade.

No one should be reading bleacherreport, this proposal further solidifies that.

I saw on ESPN Insider (dont have a subscription though) that Cliff Lee may be available.........

NYYF Legend

Ankiel DFA'd by the Nats. He's not really a fit for the Yanks but then he's better than Darnell McDonald.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by wang+cano=future View Post
    I saw on ESPN Insider (dont have a subscription though) that Cliff Lee may be available.........
    Well, it didn't work the first time. I'd be hesitant to go for it a second time. He's a great pitcher and I would have liked him here but I'm just not sure about it.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Well, it didn't work the first time. I'd be hesitant to go for it a second time. He's a great pitcher and I would have liked him here but I'm just not sure about it.
    I agree. A contract like that you pay a premium in terms of AAV over the course of the deal in large part expecting some elite performance at the outset and a decline as the contract - or more specifically, the player - ages. You want the years at the front of that deal, and you grin and bear it for the years at the end of the deal. Philly already soaked up one of those premium years, and year two isn't going so hot. How much of this year's performance is the state of affairs in Philly versus a potentially slow, steady decline remains to be seen.

Through his age 34 - 36 seasons he's guaranteed 3/$87.MM with the buyout, or at age 37 if they exercise the club option it's 4/$102.5MM. If someone does acquire him and he's more like the league average pitcher he's been this season versus an elite ace at ~$30MM AAV over the next 3 years? Yikes.

Not to mention, the Phillies aren't going to just give him away so there'd be a non-trivial acquisition cost in terms of talent.

Thread Information