+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 70 FirstFirst ... 20 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 40 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors...

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    It's like The Yankees being on Felix's NT list... These players only do it to create leverage for themselves regarding a new contract
    A new contract??? He has three years more after this season on his existing contract. No team will reopen negotiations this soon.
    Okay Hal and Brian, I might be a sucker, but you got 3 more years to fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Ibanez and Martin are duds. Sixth in the majors in runs (23 behind Texas for the lead). They should go after a bat.

I don't think this is the case at all.
    How do you know?

Because he probably knew the Yankees would be a potential suitor for his services, therefore by putting them on his list, they'd have to sweeten the pot to get him to waive it. For some guys it's a possibility, but all I was saying is that the Yanks being on his list doesn't mean all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    A new contract??? He has three years more after this season on his existing contract. No team will reopen negotiations this soon.
    I don't think he expected to get traded so early, he could always take them off the list. It's really not a big deal.

Because he probably knew the Yankees would be a potential suitor for his services, therefore by putting them on his list, they'd have to sweeten the pot to get him to waive it. For some guys it's a possibility, but all I was saying is that the Yanks being on his list doesn't mean all that much.
    How are they going to sweeten the pot for a guy that has three years more to go on his contract after this season? Especially now for a guy that's having a down year and a team looking to get rid of him. I don't see him having a good negotiating position right now.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi BTW, it makes complete sense for ‪#Yankees to be on Upton no-trade. In theory he could insist on an extension. All about leverage.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi
    Smart agents/players put ‪#Yankees on NTP for that reason. It's not that the players have any notion of avoiding NYC or the team.

Other than CC, when was the last time the Yankees renegotiated an extension of an existing contract? They might do so for Cano or Grandy, but a guy that has 3+ years left when he's having a down year. Not happening!

How are they going to sweeten the pot for a guy that has three years more to go on his contract after this season?
    I don't understand this question. What does the length of his existing contract have to do with an acquiring team giving him either a new contract or an extension? In fact, having a multi-year contract makes it more beneficial to him to have leverage like this. If he was going to be a free agent soon, he wouldn't need any leverage to get a market value contract in the near future. Since he's locked up, at a team-friendly salary, it's that much more valuable to him to be able to force an acquiror's hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    I don't understand this question. What does the length of his existing contract have to do with an acquiring team giving him either a new contract or an extension? In fact, having a multi-year contract makes it more beneficial to him to have leverage like this. If he was going to be a free agent soon, he wouldn't need any leverage to get a market value contract in the near future. Since he's locked up, at a team-friendly salary, it's that much more valuable to him to be able to force an acquiror's hand.
    It just means the Yankees won't acquire him.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

How are they going to sweeten the pot for a guy that has three years more to go on his contract after this season? Especially now for a guy that's having a down year and a team looking to get rid of him. I don't see him having a good negotiating position right now.
    Did you look over the part where I mentioned that I don't think he (or anyone else for that matter) expected him to be traded so soon?

Did you look over the part where I mentioned that I don't think he (or anyone else for that matter) expected him to be traded so soon?
    I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about this. It's not like Upton put together his no-trade list last week. Guys put the Yankees on their NT lists all the time because the Yankees tend to be trying to acquire talent mid-season, which means they can ask for some sort of bonus or extension or whatever in order to make the trade happen. This couldn't possibly be any less complicated.

I don't know enough about Upton's physical condition, or really enough about the real potential of Yankee prospects, to make pronouncements about what the Yankees should offer for him.

But I would be shocked if the Diamondbacks were willing to trade him for a deal built around prospects who are not ready for the ML. And I also would be shocked if the Yankees traded any pitching assets that are or could be part of winning the WS this year. Winning this year is priority number one. There is an off season for next year.

I also think it is obvious that the only expendable ML-ready player the Yankees would trade that the D-backs would want is Brett Gardner. He would have to be part of the trade for another reason. The team has been playing very, very well. The chemistry clearly has been very good. There is no way they want to break that up by bringing two new people to the lineup in a few weeks. There is a place for one, but not two.

Upton is not going to happen. But if you want to fantasize about a trade, you should include Gardner just to make it a tad less fantastical.

Because no team acquiring him will give him a new contract or an extension at the numbers he's currently producing at.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    It just means the Yankees won't acquire him.
    Right, he's not coming to the Yankees.

Arrow Re: 2012 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors...

Dempster is an interesting option, but I don't see the Cubs wanting anything Cash would offer. I suspect we'll get in on someone who's stock is down - ala Chacon back in the day.

Because no team acquiring him will give him a new contract or an extension at the numbers he's currently producing at.
    Probably true. But that has nothing to do with your original point. A team could quite easily offer him an extended or redone contract to get him to waive his no-trade. The length of his existing contract is hardly an impediment to that. If his performance doesn't warrant it, so be it. But that's no reason for him not to try anyway. As Reno said, it's pretty uncomplicated, and your interpretation that the Yanks being on his no-trade means he's not interested in coming here really isn't very logical.

Probably true. But that has nothing to do with your original point. A team could quite easily offer him an extended or redone contract to get him to waive his no-trade. The length of his existing contract is hardly an impediment to that. If his performance doesn't warrant it, so be it. But that's no reason for him not to try anyway. As Reno said, it's pretty uncomplicated, and your interpretation that the Yanks being on his no-trade means he's not interested in coming here really isn't very logical.
    Sure, but the Yankees won't.

Quote Originally Posted by BxBomber44 View Post
    Dempster is an interesting option, but I don't see the Cubs wanting anything Cash would offer. I suspect we'll get in on someone who's stock is down - ala Chacon back in the day.
    Ryan Dempster might be the least appealing pitcher with a 200+ ERA+, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Sure, but the Yankees won't.
    Which is my original point.

this trade period should be fun. Any time another team makes a trade, someone on here will post "Where was Cashman?"

NYYF Legend

It's like The Yankees being on Felix's NT list... These players only do it to create leverage for themselves regarding a new contract
    No, Felix actually has a dislike of the Yankees going back to his amatuer days and doesn't want to pitch here (or at least didn't when he put them on his NTC).

His buddy Freddy Garcia might be able to change his mind, obviously.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    No, Felix actually has a dislike of the Yankees going back to his amatuer days and doesn't want to pitch here (or at least didn't when he put them on his NTC).

Haha, no way Freddy tries to convince him to join the Yankees. He would never see the rotation again.

His list also includes the Red Sox, Cubs and Indians......

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/a...o-power-071612

A better example would be Joakim Soria who I believe has the Yanks on his no-trade list. 99.999% sure he has nothing against the team and would just use it to get a better deal.

In other news, Heyman reports the Yankees are more interested in outfield candidates:

They've talked to the Phillies about Shane Victorino and the Diamondbacks about Justin Upton, but Upton is a major long shot for them and right now they see the price tag as too high on either. Victorino may be slightly more realistic eventually, though.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...n-option-later

NYYF Legend

They must be skeptical of Gardner's health to inquire about Vitorino
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

He'll end up a red sock
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Thread Information