+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 70 FirstFirst ... 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 36 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors...

Hamels would be a must get if the Phillies open him up for sale. He is a lefty in his prime who pitches consistently well year after year. We have Kuroda here on a 1 year deal, Andy is getting any younger, and Phil Hughes could blow up any second. He would stabilize the rotation for the future and give us 2 ace lefties.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYYFAN101 View Post
    Hamels would be a must get if the Phillies open him up for sale. He is a lefty in his prime who pitches consistently well year after year. We have Kuroda here on a 1 year deal, Andy is getting any younger, and Phil Hughes could blow up any second. He would stabilize the rotation for the future and give us 2 ace lefties.
    We'd only be getting him for this year. I think the equation would be very different if the team acquiring him had multiple years of control
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by NYYFAN101 View Post
    if he would agree to an extension I'd agree with you. However I doubt he would unless the Yankees went batsh*t with an offer. I'd be really disappointed if they gutted the farm for a rental, even one as good as Hamels.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    if he would agree to an extension I'd agree with you. However I doubt he would unless the Yankees went batsh*t with an offer. I'd be really disappointed if they gutted the farm for a rental, even one as good as Hamels.
    Right because you can't even get draft picks for him if he does't sign here. IMO, I think Hamels is determine to return to southern California and stay in the NL by going to the Dodgers.
    Is this the end of the Brian Cashman era?

NYYF Legend

I am going to try to not get caught up in any Hamels/Greinke/Upton dreams during this trade period.

Upton has immense potential but like some others have said, trading for him this year would likely hurt us if we need to give players off our current 25-man.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    It's funny because i remember during the 2009 WS one of Hamels teammates called him out. I believe he said Hamels was soft, or something like that.
    Well, that might explain why he deliberately hit Bryce Harper - trying to prove he was as tough as the next guy. It only took him 3 years to get up the nerve.

I imagine it is difficult to seem like you mean business when your voice sounds like one of the Chipmunks - after you've inhaled helium.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

Agree on all points. On the other hand, if I were Cashman I would be calling Amaro daily to check on the availability of Carlos Ruiz.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Carlos Ruiz would be incredibly awesome.

The way he's playing though... I don't know if Phillies can trade him.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Carlos Ruiz would be incredibly awesome.

The way he's playing though... I don't know if Phillies can trade him.
    Ruiz is a lot older than I expected (33 y/o) and a free agent after the 2013 season - yes, he would be cost controlled for the next season, but what would the price be?
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

it makes no sense to trade/gut our minors to get hamels, grenkie or any other player that is in their last year or won't sign an extension. We have a decent team right now. Pitchers that we should go after are garza and wandy. both i think would do well enough to get us through petites injury and help if hughes decides to crap the bed again.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Ruiz is a lot older than I expected (33 y/o) and a free agent after the 2013 season - yes, he would be cost controlled for the next season, but what would the price be?
    And the Phillies would have to figure out how to replace him -- and he's only making $5 million next year. Still, I can see the logic in trading a guy who will be 34 next year who has an OPS+ nearly 40 points above his career high if you can get the right pieces back
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by coachtsurfing View Post
    it makes no sense to trade/gut our minors to get hamels, grenkie or any other player that is in their last year or won't sign an extension. We have a decent team right now. Pitchers that we should go after are garza and wandy. both i think would do well enough to get us through petites injury and help if hughes decides to crap the bed again.
    I've been wanting Garza since last year. No thanks on Wandy, ever.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Rodriquez is going to cost you $13M next season and his team option for 2014 becomes a player option with a trade. Besides, he will be 34 next season and is a career .500 pitcher, admitted with the Astros.

Garza is arb-eligible next season. With any decent stats, he will be due a significant raise from his $9.5M this season - probably in the neighborhood of the same $13M that Wandy is due. At least he is only 28, but another career .500 pitcher makings unrealistic money?

I will pass on both, thank you. We could get the same production from within for a lot less.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Funny.
    In all seriousness, can it even be argued that Hughes wasn't overhyped?

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    In all seriousness, can it even be argued that Hughes wasn't overhyped?
    Yes, he is a completely different pitcher than he was in the minors. When he was in AA he threw a tick harder and threw a much more strikeout prone curve. He also went from an extreme GB pitcher to an extreme FB pitcher
    "Williams could be the Yankees' next great homegrown center fielder. "-BA

His control also didn't suck.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I've been wanting Garza since last year. No thanks on Wandy, ever.
    The Cubs are supposedly making Garza available to teams willing to take Soriano (Alfonso) as part of the deal.....also per Buster Olney. I'd re-sign Swish before I'd take Soriano, but not at the price he's asking right now.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    The Cubs are supposedly making Garza available to teams willing to take Soriano (Alfonso) as part of the deal.....also per Buster Olney. I'd re-sign Swish before I'd take Soriano, but not at the price he's asking right now.
    Good luck Theo. Unless they eat a BOATLOAD of $$ and lower their asking price in terms of talent, I'd be shocked if any team takes on Soriano's $18MM AAV for the next 2.5 years just to get Garza.

Matt Garza's really not that good. He's not worth giving up much for.

Garza hasn't been that great his past 3 or 4 starts. he had a bad one against the braves. But i would take him for a decent trade. if theo is intent on packaging him and alfonso, they have to know no one is going to give up a lot and take on that huge contract. i do think wanda would be fine here, he would be a consolation trade if we can't get someone better. and I wouldn't mind letting someone else from our own system try if wandy is the best we could get. i also hear that demps is going to cost a lot less then garza. On a different note, I keep hearing stuff about clevelands outfielder shin cho? anyone got any info on him?

This is our future. JohnnyDamonfan's Avatar

I don't know about Garza if we have to have Soriano too. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but can he even play RF any more or would he be more of a DH type now? We got enough DH types. I would much rather trade for a serviceable Right Fielder if we have to take Sori with Garza.
    Still and will always be a New England Patriots fan.

[quote=THEBOSS84]You may be my favorite poster on the site. So sweet and innocent.[/quote]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bmxstreetrider86 View Post
    Yes, he is a completely different pitcher than he was in the minors. When he was in AA he threw a tick harder and threw a much more strikeout prone curve. He also went from an extreme GB pitcher to an extreme FB pitcher
    I always wonder just how much that hamstring (knee hyper-extension) that happened while taking a no-hitter deep into his second ML start had to do with things, since his mechanical flaws have been largely bottom-half related at the ML level.

He deserved all the hype that he had up until then, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDamonfan View Post
    I don't know about Garza if we have to have Soriano too. .
    I do - the answer is no. And I'm not really interested in adding Garza by himself either, and even less so in Rodriguez.
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDamonfan View Post
    I don't know about Garza if we have to have Soriano too. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but can he even play RF any more or would he be more of a DH type now? We got enough DH types. I would much rather trade for a serviceable Right Fielder if we have to take Sori with Garza.
    He's never played in RF. He's tried to play LF, and he's been pretty terrible at that. He is not a baserunning threat any longer either. I'd say he'd be almost completely redundant with Jones at this point, and Jones is actually mashing right now, so...

I'd be shocked if the Yankees got Garza if Soriano is anchored to him, even if the Cubs ate half his deal and took very little else in return.

He's never played in RF. He's tried to play LF, and he's been pretty terrible at that. He is not a baserunning threat any longer either. I'd say he'd be almost completely redundant with Jones at this point, and Jones is actually mashing right now, so...

I'd be shocked if the Yankees got Garza if Soriano is anchored to him, even if the Cubs ate half his deal and took very little else in return.
    If I was a Cubs fan, I'd much rather see them trade Garza for a solid pool of prospects than package him with Soriano and get nothing of value in return. They're a bad baseball team, and it's going to take them a while to get better -- they might as well bite the bullet and overpay him while sowing the seeds for a better future.

Thread Information