+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 70 1 2 3 4 11 51 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

2012 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors...

Surprised no one started this up, but then again, this forum has been pretty lifeless for a while now

Might as well got it started:

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that Matt Garza is at the top of the Yankees' wish list of potential starting pitching trade targets.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...fer-cubs-garza

Considering Nova's absolute suckage and both Hughes' and Kuroda's unpredictability, it would make sense to get a solid innings eater who's AL east proven to slide behind CC and Andy
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Re: 2012 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors...

At what cost though?

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    At what cost though?
    It will be a high cost that's for sure.
    Is this the end of the Brian Cashman era?

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

I'm completely on board with Garza. Concerning Nova's suckage though, it may be a bit overrated. He's still shown some promise, and he's young enough that I have faith in his continued development and improvement. I still have better expectations of his starts than I do Phil's.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Forum Regular

pass for sure

At what cost though?
    Heyman seems to think Hughes and Banuelos. Cubs fans seem to think Banuelos, Hughes, T.Austin/Williams and Romine/Murphy.

Quote Originally Posted by BronxBombers92 View Post
    pass for sure
    What? Why?
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2 View Post
    Heyman seems to think Hughes and Banuelos. Cubs fans seem to think Banuelos, Hughes, T.Austin/Williams and Romine/Murphy.
    If it's a package surrounded by Hughes as the main piece, I'd be all for it. I have no interest in dealing Banuelos, Austin, or Williams.

NYYF Legend

If it's a package surrounded by Hughes as the main piece, I'd be all for it. I have no interest in dealing Banuelos, Austin, or Williams.
    Agreed, but I'm pretty sure the Cubs are going to ask for a lot more than Hughes. I would assume that any deal for Garza would include Banuelos and one of our better position prospects.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Did John Henry sleep with Theo's wife?!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2 View Post
    Did John Henry sleep with Theo's wife?!
    I must be slow 'cause I don't get it lol

I must be slow 'cause I don't get it lol
    I'm just saying theres zero chance they'd do that. Hughes is signed for this year and will get a raise next year. Then be a f/a for the 2014 season. Same as Garza, so the cubs would basically be switching Matt Garza with Hughes. I'm not calling Garza an ace but thats obviously a big downgrade. With Hughes as the main piece and you saying no to Banuelos, Austin, and Williams being in the deal, then whats the deal... Hughes, Sanchez and maybe Betances or someone like Phelps(assuming they feel Phelps>Dellin cause Dellin doesn't have the control as of now)? Thats not going to get it done.

NYYF Legend

Wait a minute, wait a minute ... a "Hot Stove" thread in June?

Perhaps this should be the "Cold Air Conditioner" thread.

I think Hughes, Banuelos and Nunez would be a fair trade for Garza

Would not mind Garza at all. Too bad the Phillies are playing better, would love to get Hamels.

Emotional Warrior BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

Backup option in case the Yankees don't get Matt Garza: Houston Astro Wandy Rodriguez.

I really stay away from Milwaukee Brewers Zach Grienke and Shaun Marcum and Chicago Cub Ryan Dempster.
    It's not the 27 World Championships that drive the New York Yankees. It's the 28th.
    Every year is The Year. Go Yankees.

NYYF Legend

wandy's contract is hideous, has spent his entire career in the arguably the worst division in MLB, and is pushing his mid 30's... i just don't see a fit... i know that they were close to getting him at last year's deadline, but that was more a levine move than a cashman move, and we all know what kind of baseball IQ levine has (exhibit A is my avatar)

garza may cost a lot to acquire, but he just makes sense for the yankees in every possible way (team-friendly contract situation, still in his 20's, AL east tested)... if cashman could somehow get a package centered around nova and throw in betances and someone like gumbs (who might be redundant if they re-sign cano), i'd pull the trigger

at this point, hughes has more value to the yankees as a member of their team
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

This is our future. JohnnyDamonfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    What? Why?

Probably because of the cost player wise. Garza is a good pitcher. Except I really don't think he's good enough to command the type of players Cubs will probably want. And Nova sucks? This is really big news to me. He gives up to many hits but more often then not he pitches himself out of a jam. He's not really one to give up to many runs in many situations and the guy has a winning record. I don't think he sucks, he just has work to do. I trust him a bit better then Hughes right now.
    Still and will always be a New England Patriots fan.

[quote=THEBOSS84]You may be my favorite poster on the site. So sweet and innocent.[/quote]

I've wanted garza on this team for the past couple of years. But I wouldn't deal many of our younger players for him. I'd do hughes, nunez, and one of our young prospects.

Hughes isn't going to do that. That's just wishful thinking.

And, I don't see why everyone's bent on Banuelos. Given that two out of three Bs now stand for "busts", the chances of Banuelos being a Garza are slim.

I advocated trading him when his stock was high. (Remember how so many were so adamant against trading for Gio Gonzalez?) /tangent

I haven't really put much thought into whether or not I would like the Yankees to trade for Garza, but I feel it going to cost more than Phil Hughes at the center of it.
    Team Northern Lights

Just catching up on Twitter this morning, it looks like the Blue Jays are in play for him as well. Apparently they have the "prospects to get it done". I don't mind giving up some minor league talent for a guy that has proven himself (along with Hughes or Nova) especially in the AL East - but I don't want to end up giving away the farm in some type of bidding war with the other teams in the division.

As far as Wandy - I don't think he would do very well here. I've been watching him (I live in Houston) for years and I just think he would get shelled in our division. My fear is that we miss out on Garza and in panic-mode they go after him. Even on the Astros half of his starts are frustrating to watch - he has trouble finishing hitters off and sometimes gets nibble happy. I know he's a lefty - but I don't think I would be able to take watching him every 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by iYankFan4 View Post

As far as Wandy - I don't think he would do very well here. I've been watching him (I live in Houston) for years and I just think he would get shelled in our division. My fear is that we miss out on Garza and in panic-mode they go after him.
    I agree on Rodriquez, but I don't think they will panic and go after him either. Something else will materialize.
    Team Northern Lights

Cuban OF Jorge Soler is now a free agent. Some view him as a younger Cespedes. Could be an interesting alternative to Swisher next season. Think the Yankees make a play?

Quote Originally Posted by tim2nyy View Post
    Cuban OF Jorge Soler is now a free agent. Some view him as a younger Cespedes. Could be an interesting alternative to Swisher next season. Think the Yankees make a play?
    very unlikely Soler is ready to play in the major next year
    "Williams could be the Yankees' next great homegrown center fielder. "-BA

Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Hughes isn't going to do that. That's just wishful thinking.

And, I don't see why everyone's bent on Banuelos. Given that two out of three Bs now stand for "busts", the chances of Banuelos being a Garza are slim.

I advocated trading him when his stock was high. (Remember how so many were so adamant against trading for Gio Gonzalez?) /tangent

I haven't really put much thought into whether or not I would like the Yankees to trade for Garza, but I feel it going to cost more than Phil Hughes at the center of it.
    I recall some posters (including myself) being concerned about his high BB/9 rate despite pitching in Oakland. In your opinion do you think he would have similar success at Yankees Stadium as he is in Washington right now? He has started in 4 Home Games out of 10 but he has only pitched in 3 Hitter friendly parks (CHC, CIN, PHI) with an incredibly low BABIP of .232.
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

Thread Information