+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Old Timers Day, July 1st Schedule

Got to admit...... Reggie looks pretty spry.
    .Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

NYYF Legend

WOO - hooooo !!!!

Whitey Ford and Yogi !! Hurray!!

Hall of Famers got to catch a ride, I guess!

Not a fan of the golf cart thing for the HOF's, but it's probably b/c Whitey and Yogi don't get around so well especially w/ the heat. Would've been better, imo, to have each have their own golf cart from CF.

It was kind of anti-climatic having them all just waiting on the field for their intros to be finished.

NYYF Legend

Tino's pop up was funny...... Guidry looked at the 3rd baseman and catcher like "don't expect ME to catch it"... and no one did.

NYYF Cy Young

The first game I ever went to was Old Timer's Day. They would always groove a pitch to DiMaggio so he could hit a homer.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

NYYF Cy Young

Bucky Dent with a beer gut! I remember when all the girls used to ogle his 6 pack!
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by boog204 View Post
    Not a fan of the golf cart thing for the HOF's, but it's probably b/c Whitey and Yogi don't get around so well especially w/ the heat. Would've been better, imo, to have each have their own golf cart from CF.

It was kind of anti-climatic having them all just waiting on the field for their intros to be finished.
    I had no problem with Whitey and Yogi being brought in via golf cart but it seemed silly for Rickey, Goose and Reggie. The only thing I can think of was that Jerry Coleman might have a hard time walking as well as Whitey and Yogi. Isn't he still calling Padres games though?

I think this whole concept needs to be refreshed somehow. it doesn't seem to have a lot of juice. seems like every year there are more and more empty seats for the ceremonies.

One of the problems too is that there was a pretty big gap between Yankee championship eras from the mid 60's through the mid 70's.

The biggest names of them all, Whitey Ford and Berra, aren't going to have their fans there because the people who actually saw them are too old or no longer with us. So while we all totally respect these men and how good they were, nobody can remember seeing them play really.

And seeing O'Neill and Tino and Bernie and that whole era is great, but we see them all the time anyway with the way the world is now. the whole thing is just slightly anti-climactic to me anyway.

I guess I'm nostalgic for nostalgia.

Was Nettles there?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Torre Must Go View Post
    Was Nettles there?
    nope --- I was looking for him.

Forum Regular

all around great day, but man was it hot at the stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    I had no problem with Whitey and Yogi being brought in via golf cart but it seemed silly for Rickey, Goose and Reggie. The only thing I can think of was that Jerry Coleman might have a hard time walking as well as Whitey and Yogi. Isn't he still calling Padres games though?
    That's what I meant... It was kind of lame having Rickey and the other 3 sitting in the golf carts waiting for their introductions when in theory they are supposed to be the star attractions. By the time you got to the next guy, the juice was all gone.

I love Old Timer's Day, but this one just didn't have the excitement of previous ones. Not sure if it was that the same basic guys were all there, the golf carts, the empty seats, or what, but this one didn't get me like virtually every previous one had.

Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BronxBombers92 View Post
    agreed...the dumb online weather when i checked yesterday had the bronx getting a thunderstorm early morning and it was going to be slightly cooler than yesterday with less humidity..but as I was driving away from the stadium, i saw those clouds just getting there...it was just way too humid. Every year, I seem to be there on the hottest day...

other than the weather, it was really a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by smr15 View Post
    nope --- I was looking for him.
    I wonder if he's in a little fight with the yanks or something..I'm trying to remember the last time I've seen him....

great to see yogi and whitey at the end...

lastly, I will always miss Bobby Murcer on OTD..and his wife still looks as beautiful as ever.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" ...Frank Costanza

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    great to see yogi and whitey at the end...

lastly, I will always miss Bobby Murcer on OTD..and his wife still looks as beautiful as ever.
    It was great to see Yogi and Whitey at the end, but sad to see them looking so frail. I really think we have to treasure these OTD moments as there may not be too many more for them. Larsen, also did not look that well compared to just last year.

And I too will always miss Bobby Murcer on OTD (and in the booth). It's hard to believe that he's gone four years already.

NYYF Legend

The one thing I miss about OTD now is the Yankees used to display their pennant flags on OTD. At the original stadium they would hang about 20 of them from the facade. When they renovated the park they would still display about 5 of them on OTD. Now none of them are on display. Now I know the pennants from the pre 65 era are probably too fragile to take out but why not at least display the flags from the 70's and 90's.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BronxBombers92 View Post
    yea I second this, it was burning hot today. The last few OTD's have been high temperature days as well. I remember last year was hot but not as humid
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

What was with the caps?

Are they being sold as "Official Yankee OTD Caps"?

What's next, OTD patches and names on the backs of the jerseys to be sold in stores next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve J. Rogers View Post
    What was with the caps?

Are they being sold as "Official Yankee OTD Caps"?

What's next, OTD patches and names on the backs of the jerseys to be sold in stores next year?
    Yeah, those caps were a real turn off as well. Either this day is about Yankee tradition and history or it's not. You can't have it both ways.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    It was great to see Yogi and Whitey at the end, but sad to see them looking so frail. I really think we have to treasure these OTD moments as there may not be too many more for them. Larsen, also did not look that well compared to just last year.
    I was concerned when I saw he was auctioning off his World Series perfect game uniform. I don't care what the stated "reason" is....he's 82 years old and you're right. We have to treasure these moments now, if we haven't been in the past.

I had this discussion with my wife this weekend. She was a little suprised at the list of players...aside from Yogi, Larsen and Reggie. Now, she grew up a Dodger fan, so didn't quite get the "mystique" and hype of OTD at Yankee Stadium...we did come to the conclusion it's different now. We are in a transition period. When I was a kid, it was Mickey, Dimaggio, Ford, Yogi, Skowron, Scooter, etc from 25-30 years prior.

I also think it's changed a lot with free agency. Very few players are with the same team their entire career anymore.

After Yogi and Larsen pass on, I think it might be a little while (like 2020) before that feeling comes back around with the "Core Four" and all the other key players.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

When Jeter and Mariano come back for OTD, I think that's really when it's going to get special again for us. It's a little tougher since we saw so few of these guys.

I think it's also been cheapened when Homer Bush, Aaron Small, Matt Nokes, etc are there. These are guys that barely had a moment for the Yankees, but are still there. I thought it was about the stars of the past, not the bench player on the 1996 team.

Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    I think it's also been cheapened when Homer Bush, Aaron Small, Matt Nokes, etc are there. These are guys that barely had a moment for the Yankees, but are still there. I thought it was about the stars of the past, not the bench player on the 1996 team.
    In a lot of ways it's for this reason that so many teams don't do OTD like the Yankees anymore.

Do you really want to trot out mostly "fan favorite" scrubs in the midst of the actual stars of your franchise?

And it's not for lack of history with franchises like the Cardinals, Red Sox, Cubs (don't laugh), Braves, Reds, etc, but there are other ways of doing it with Alumni Associations (where the team trots out alumni for area events and special days at ballpark) or annual events were past teams or players are honored in some fashion.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    When Jeter and Mariano come back for OTD, I think that's really when it's going to get special again for us. It's a little tougher since we saw so few of these guys.

That's what triggered the conversation. She said something to the effect of "Sterling Hitchcock? Tanyon Sturtze? Really? What about all the Yankee legends? Heck, where's Nettles?"

I hate to think of remembering the "Old-Timers" when they actually played, but that's the stage of life we are in now. When it comes to old timers, I tend to think 20-30 years ago....so 1996 forward is still just a little too recent for me, some of it is denial and because some of those guys haven't been retired all that long (or are even still playing).

When I was a kid, that put us in the mid-50s / early 60s. Now that puts us around 1982-1992....there were a couple of decent teams, but not exactly the glory years.

That's how I explained we were in a transition period right now.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Devoted Member

Great day. Also, one of the hotter days I've experienced at the stadium.

this was my 6th consecutive old timers day and it's always one of my favorite days at the stadium. this year it being on my birthday was even more fun. the stadium was about the same filled during the ceremonies and OTD game as it has been in years past. so mix in the heat, which it was hella hot in the stadium but i had tickets in the last row of the grandstand so there was a nice breeze the entire day and was in the shade, i think there was a good crowd. basically, it could've been even less crowded. regardless, i was really happy to see yogi and whitey, though i admit the golf cart thing was kinda lame but i know why they had to do it. the game is always fun to watch.

i picked up the hat they were wearing cause it had the patch with the date and everything on it. i was on the fence originally about the hat when the yankees used it at fenway and was gonna wait to get it when the hats are all half off in the off season, but since it had my birthday on it, i got it.

we're in a rough stage in terms of old timers. i was surprised that wells, nettles, moose and a few others weren't there but thought it was nice of the yankees to mention ventura even though he's in the opposing dugout. still, a really fun day. can't wait for next year
    follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/AndrewHarts

Thread Information