+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Old Timers Day, July 1st Schedule

My daughter and I will be attending Old Timers Day, July 1st against the White Sox - my third trip to Yankee Stadium (first to NYS) and my first Old Timers Day.

Does anyone know where I can find a schedule of events for the day? We will be traveling up from Southern NJ and I want to be certain to get there in plenty of time. I would like to visit the new Monument Park, as well as being in my seat when the first Yankee "great" is introduced.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Re: Old Timers Day, July 1st Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    My daughter and I will be attending Old Timers Day, July 1st against the White Sox - my third trip to Yankee Stadium (first to NYS) and my first Old Timers Day.

Does anyone know where I can find a schedule of events for the day? We will be traveling up from Southern NJ and I want to be certain to get there in plenty of time. I would like to visit the new Monument Park, as well as being in my seat when the first Yankee "great" is introduced.

1. It will be an entire day for you. If you plan to get FREE parking, I would recommend you get to the stadium before 10 AM. There are plenty of them a couple blocks away from the stadium. A lot of residents around the neighborhood leave for their weekend get-away from Yankees game's crowd.

But if you dont want to get there before then, there will be a decent amount of PAID parking around the area.

Best choice to get to Yankee stadium - MTA trains.

2. If you really want to enjoy your visit to the stadium - you should get in at GATE 8 (bleachers entrance) so you can get to the Monument park. Take your time and enjoy yourself. Once that is done, you can walk to the Yankee Museum by going up to the main level elevated walkway. If you want to go back to your seat before the introduction of the "oldtimers" - I would recommend you get all the snacks and drinks BEFORE you sit down.

2a. If you really want to greet the Oldtimers - there will be some of down walking down the right field and left field line. But for you to get the front spots - you will have to give up the Monument Park visit until later on. If you plan to get autograph(s) - make sure you have a couple working pen (blue or black point pens) and MLB baseballs (not some generic baseballs). It would be good if you recognize them and calling them by their first name. Just dont call the wrong name.

Enjoy the game!
    It's never about what you know, it's who you know ..... and who's willing to help you to get where you want to be.

The only guys I had luck getting to sign a ball last year at old timers day, and i was there when the gates opened, were arron small and ron bloomberg as well as aj burnett and boone logan. unless you have legends and champions seats where a bunch of the old timers would stop and sign. this will be my fifth consecutive old timers day and its really a blast. curious for the list of who's coming.

my advice. get to the stadium early. while the old timers are taking batting practice, go to monument park. then, head back to your seats for the introductions of the old timers and enjoy watching the old timers game. the game only lasts about an hour or three innings, whatever comes first. then, while they're fixing up the field for the yankees game, id go check out the yankees muesum. by the time you get done there, head back to the seats for the yankees game and enjoy the rest of the day. hopefully its not blistering hot or raining, those two things make for a crummy long day, cause ive been at old timers day when one of the two have happened.
    follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/AndrewHarts

NYYF Legend

I'll be there as well. Last year was my first OTD and I had a blast. Can't wait for this one.

Heidi
    "I don't need any extra motivation. My motivation is to win." - Derek Jeter

NYYF Legend

What time will the gates open? From your comments, it sounds like the OTD game will probably begin around 12N (regular game is a 2P start), so it sounds like the gates will likely open around 10A - is my guess correct?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    What time will the gates open? From your comments, it sounds like the OTD game will probably begin around 12N (regular game is a 2P start), so it sounds like the gates will likely open around 10A - is my guess correct?
    yea thats normally the case. they will announce the special gate open as we get closer to the game. But yea expect an all day event. Gates opening 10am actual game at 2pm ending around 5:30pm
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Legend

Gates normally open at 10am and old timers take BP for about an hour, intros usually start by 11am, actual old timers game 12pmish they play til about 1:20pm ish then the game starts at 2pm
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

If you want to truly enjoy going to the museum you should go during the game. Before the game starts, the line is huge especially if you went to Monument Park first. Going to Monument Park first is really your only choice since that line gets big fast and you have a limited amount of time to go to it before it shuts down for the day.

If you get on the big line and have to wait awhile to get into the museum it will only be a big disappointment. The museum is small and doesn't really have a lot of stuff considering the history of the Yankees. Its also small and you'll feel all cramped & rushed with a bunch of people crowded around you. Its better to wait until mid-game. Believe me you won't miss much game action. On your walk you can still see the game, it won't take you more than an inning or two (at most) to go through the museum and get a thorough look & read of everything, they have a TV in there with the game on, and you can watch the game walking back to your seats.

NYYF Legend

Thanks everyone for the information and advice.

JerseyShore - your suggestion of visiting the museum mid-game makes a lot of sense. I wasn't even aware that there was a museum.

Seems to me like I will be leaving Southern NJ around 8AM, drive to the stadium (I have no problem parking in the garage - we did the last time), and enjoy the day.

NYYF Legend

Has anyone seen a list of this year's attendees?

Heidi
    "I don't need any extra motivation. My motivation is to win." - Derek Jeter

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MunsonNY15 View Post
    Has anyone seen a list of this year's attendees?

Heidi
    No - and I thought it would be made public by now. Only a few weeks away.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    No - and I thought it would be made public by now. Only a few weeks away.

Probably the same players who showed up last season.

Back in December I was thinking that Pettitte would be the big name at this year's OTD.

Glad he will not be alowed to be a part of OTD this season

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Probably the same players who showed up last season.

Back in December I was thinking that Pettitte would be the big name at this year's OTD.

Glad he will not be alowed to be a part of OTD this season
    Unfortunately quite certain Moose Skowron will not be there...

NYYF Legend

YES Network's online schedule has OTD ceremonies starting at 11am, the game wrapping by 1:30 when they start their pre-game show, and the game starting at 2pm.

Mickey Rivers is usually outside Stan's around OTD, Leyritz occasionally if he isn't in jail somewhere.
    "Bacon, The Candy of Meats"

NYYF Legend

Clemens and Curtis??
    No Rally Monkeys, Towels or hankies
    Just 50,000 fans of the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    YES Network's online schedule has OTD ceremonies starting at 11am, the game wrapping by 1:30 when they start their pre-game show, and the game starting at 2pm.
    Just got this email:
    Old-Timers' Day

The 66th Annual Old-Timers’ Day is Sunday, July 1. Ceremonies begin promptly at 11:15 a.m. Fans are encouraged to arrive early and be in their seats for the ceremonies.

I heard a rumor that Clemens is going to be invited, if he is and attends I wonder what kind of reception he will get. Still can't erase 2008 when they closed out Yankee Stadium with no mentioning of him or Torre.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkyankees6 View Post
    I heard a rumor that Clemens is going to be invited, if he is and attends I wonder what kind of reception he will get. Still can't erase 2008 when they closed out Yankee Stadium with no mentioning of him or Torre.
    I guess they were waiting for the outcome of the trial before they invited him. He'll probably get a mixed reception if he does attend. I wouldn't applaud if I was there, but I wouldn't boo either. Sometimes silence is deafening.

Posada won't be there (can't find the link right now). Too bad - I know fans would like the chance to show their appreciation......and get in the 'Hip, hip, Jorge!" cheer one more time.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    Posada won't be there (can't find the link right now). Too bad - I know fans would like the chance to show their appreciation......and get in the 'Hip, hip, Jorge!" cheer one more time.
    I didn't know that, that's disappointing. Hopefully next year.

NYYF Cy Young

Why no Posada Probably too soon. Torre this year? OTD is on my bday this year so thats how I'll be spending my day

And IDK how I would feel about Clemens..
    Twenty Seven and Counting.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by gregzzy22 View Post
    Why no Posada Probably too soon. Torre this year? OTD is on my bday this year so thats how I'll be spending my day

And IDK how I would feel about Clemens..
    Why too soon? Mantle was at OTD 4 months after he retired. Unless Jorge is planning a comeback I can't understad why he does not want to be at OTD this season.

there is one big reason to invite Clemens, it is to legitimize Arod's stats.
    its all about money still to be made.

how can you cheer for Arod yet boo Clemens?
    how can you cheer Pettite yet boo Clemens?
    because they admitted HGH use while Clemens doesnt?
    they got caught red handed, that's why they admitted it.
    Clemens will go to his grave denying it and he has the US govt. approval stamp that he did not use HGH.

Quote Originally Posted by 4trainEddie View Post
    there is one big reason to invite Clemens, it is to legitimize Arod's stats.
    its all about money still to be made.
    I'm sure whatever money the yankees make off A-Rod's stats will hinge on Clemens' appearance, or lack thereof, at an old-timers' game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    I'm sure whatever money the yankees make off A-Rod's stats will hinge on Clemens' appearance, or lack thereof, at an old-timers' game.
    LOL ... true the Yankees are hoping Arod breaks the records and fans keep cheering, watching and coming the stadium to spend mega-$$$ so the Yankees can justify his contract and that has nothing to do with Clemens
    if Clemens gets the OTD invite, I think he wont this year, but if he does, I wanna see the photo op of Clemens and Arod standing next to each other in Yankee uniforms. or maybe him and Pettite hugging like Texas bros.
    Definitely some day Pettite will be at an OTD and so will Arod, so why not Clemens too?

Thread Information