+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: The "Obituaries that don't warrant their own thread" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/news/la-despe...,5386180.story

I'm so sorry to read about this. I'd never in my life watched Desperate Housewives but I loved this woman's performance as Dolores Landingham on The West Wing. She was wonderful. The death of her character on The West Wing came as such a shock and now the actress herself has passed on.

I looked at her IMDB profile and while she was mainly known for these two roles, she was certainly a working actress in many different projects right up to her passing.

Rest in peace, Mrs. Landingham.
    Well said.......RIP.........

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by krystl View Post
    She had cancer on Desperate Housewives as well only in the last season, which was the series final season,, fittingly. I didn't realize she was sick in real life. May she rest in peace. I was very fond of Mrs. McCluskey.
    A few may remember that she also appeared in one episode of Seinfeld ("The Little Jerry") as the warden of an all-woman prison.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    Well talk about raisin' the dead!!!

You mean that he did the "I don't know, Daveyyyyyyyyyyyyy" voice? Wowwwwww.

Speed Racer you mean? That guy was awesome. The cartoon's graphics looked weird, since they weren't as "smooth" as the Looney Tunes ones, but he was always the good guy who fought for the little guy. Him and that Mark V.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

This guy died this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post

This guy died this weekend.
    Famed as the world's worst lip-syncher.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF HOF

I am worried the "Obituaries that don't warrant their own thread" thread may become overwhelmed with the passings of the truly obscure who barely merit a Wikipedia entry. Perhaps we need an "Obituaries of People You Didn't Know Existed But Now They're Dead" thread...
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I am worried the "Obituaries that don't warrant their own thread" thread may become overwhelmed with the passings of the truly obscure who barely merit a Wikipedia entry. Perhaps we need an "Obituaries of People You Didn't Know Existed But Now They're Dead" thread...

I think Kathryn Joosten is the perfect person for this "Obituaries that don't warrant their own thread" thread...I never knew her name, but I sure remembered her from "The West Wing".

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Well talk about raisin' the dead!!!

You mean that he did the "I don't know, Daveyyyyyyyyyyyyy" voice? Wowwwwww.

Speed Racer you mean? That guy was awesome. The cartoon's graphics looked weird, since they weren't as "smooth" as the Looney Tunes ones, but he was always the good guy who fought for the little guy. Him and that Mark V.
    Click the link, Brad. "Speedy" was the obnoxious little dweeb in the Alka Seltzer ads.

I had to be really hard up for a 'toon fix to watch Gumby. One of the dumbest things I ever watched.
    Last edited by theDurk; 06-04-12 at 01:29 PM.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

I am worried the "Obituaries that don't warrant their own thread" thread may become overwhelmed with the passings of the truly obscure who barely merit a Wikipedia entry.
    My intention in starting the thread was that it would be for the likes of, well, Richard Dawson.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    My intention in starting the thread was that it would be for the likes of, well, Richard Dawson.
    Doc Watson gets lumped into the mega The Grim Reaper Claims Another thread and Richard Dawson gets his own thread. I tell ya', there's no justice in this world.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Former Cincinnati Reds reliever Pedro Borbon:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/80...umbs-cancer-65

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post

The Big Red Machine never did have a great starting rotation. They sure had a good bullpen, though, led by Rawley Eastwick, Pedro Borbon and Will McEnany.

They were probably one of the first teams to rely successfully on a strong, deep, heavily-used bullpen.
    - Barry Manilow

The Big Red Machine never did have a great starting rotation. They sure had a good bullpen, though, led by Rawley Eastwick, Pedro Borbon and Will McEnany.
    You're right. In '75, they had three 15 game winners with Gary Nolan, Jack Billingham and Don Gullett, but no one ever mistook any of those guys for Hall-of-Famers. Four relievers (the three you mentioned plus Clay Carroll) each pitched a minimum of 56 games and 90 innings.

In '76, they weren't quite as deep in the bullpen and leaned on the starters a bit more (six with double figures in wins). Eastwick pitched in 71 games and 107 innings (and won 11 games) while Borbon pitched in 69 games (one start) and threw a total of 121 innings that season.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Click the link, Brad. "Speedy" was the obnoxious little dweeb in the Alka Seltzer ads.

I had to be really hard up for a 'toon fix to watch Gumby. One of the dumbest things I ever watched.
    Thanks. I've been seriously pressed for time this whole week. Now I see that this guy got kiddie voice acting jobs, and even got hired over a casting call of kiddies.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post

They were probably one of the first teams to rely successfully on a strong, deep, heavily-used bullpen.
    Pedro Borbon was the bane of my Topps card-collecting existence during the 1970 season. I must have gotten about 25 Pedro Borbons that year. The other guy I couldn't shake was Gerry Arrigo, whose career actually ended that year after a disastrous relief appearance in Yankee Stadium for the White Sox.

Sparky Anderson actually got the nickname "Captain Hook" while with the Reds for his liberal use of the bullpen. When he got to Detroit he became much more starter-friendly, I think.
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Doc Watson gets lumped into the mega The Grim Reaper Claims Another thread and Richard Dawson gets his own thread. I tell ya', there's no justice in this world.

It's all about pop culture...you can still see Richard Dawson everyday on Gameshow Network.

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post
    Pedro Borbon was the bane of my Topps card-collecting existence during the 1970 season. I must have gotten about 25 Pedro Borbons that year. The other guy I couldn't shake was Gerry Arrigo, whose career actually ended that year after a disastrous relief appearance in Yankee Stadium for the White Sox.

This made me laugh...I experienced that with Aurelio Rodriguez in 1981. I swear if I bought 4 packs of cards at a time, I'd get 5 of his cards.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

This is the card I remember in the same way:

- Barry Manilow

Herb Reed, 83, last surviving member of The Platters. Us old farts all know the voice.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituari...,1403851.story
    Let the kids play.

Ray Bradbury has died. Someone who(m?) I did not realize was still alive!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/07/bo...YkQHwwpp0vwbtg

Perhaps this deserves its own thread? One of you science-fiction nerds can start one.

Quote Originally Posted by xenadanielle View Post
    Ray Bradbury has died. Someone who(m?) I did not realize was still alive!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/07/bo...YkQHwwpp0vwbtg

Perhaps this deserves its own thread? One of you science-fiction nerds can start one.
    I knew he was still alive.

When I was in fifth grade, my school had a book fair. I was interested in biology at the time, so I picked up this book that I thought would be about human biology. It was called The Illustrated Man. That started me on a kick of reading every sci-fi anthology I could put my hands on for the next ten years or so. (I always preferred SF short stories to novels.)

Bradbury actually tended more toward nostalgia-based fantasy than real sci-fi, but he was the one who got me started.

Edit: Bradbury wrote the story "A Sound of Thunder," in which a group travels back in time to hunt dinosaurs. One of the members strays off the assigned path and steps on a butterfly, thereby changing the course of history. Take that, Kevin.
    - Barry Manilow

I knew he was still alive.

When I was in fifth grade, my school had a book fair. I was interested in biology at the time, so I picked up this book that I thought would be about human biology. It was called The Illustrated Man. That started me on a kick of reading every sci-fi anthology I could put my hands on for the next ten years or so. (I always preferred SF short stories to novels.)

Bradbury actually tended more toward nostalgia-based fantasy than real sci-fi, but he was the one who got me started.
    I think I confuse him with Robert Heinlein. Who has been dead a while (1988).

Quote Originally Posted by xenadanielle View Post
    I think I confuse him with Robert Heinlein. Who has been dead a while (1988).

Very different. Heinlein wrote a lot of old-fashioned space operas. He also wrote one of the books that practically introduced New Ageism - Stranger in a Strange Land, in which he coined the word "grok."
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Very different. Heinlein wrote a lot of old-fashioned space operas. He also wrote one of the books that practically introduced New Ageism - Stranger in a Strange Land, in which he coined the word "grok."
    Heinlein was the classic dirty old man author. Good books though. I did enjoy them back in college.

Did not realize Bradbury was still alive. Just read Farenhiet 451 with my daughter a few months ago.

RIP
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

This is the card I remember in the same way:

The cards that hunted me everywhere I went:

http://www.vintagecardprices.com/pics/1845/135228.jpg

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/play..._autograph.jpg
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post
    I can picture you with a big wad of gum in your mouth going through the pack...."double...double...double...need it....double...another Pedro Borbon...need it....double...." Then you toss the Borbon card on the ground along with the wrapper that is now worth about $20. I had similar players I always got....the worst was Boots Day from the Expos, maybe '72.
    Let the kids play.

Thread Information