+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Re: 2012 Lord Stanley`s Cup : LA Kings vs. NJ Devils

Class acts don't make excuses for every loss. Class act's don't leave their wife for their sister-in-law.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Class acts don't make excuses for every loss. Class act's don't leave their wife for their sister-in-law.
    You see, I don't disagree with this.

Yet you are willfully ignorant to a similarly enormous level of douchebaggery in the NBA thread, going as far as to be completely supportive of the player in question.

That Brodeur is in the conversation of greatest goalies of all time is irrelevant to you because you follow hockey, and you see how the guy has carried himself throughout his career, from postgame interviews, to the intricacies of his on-ice success, to his general persona. If someone came into this thread and was like "I've watched games 4 and 5 of this series, and it's amazing to watch a 40 year old legned of his sport still show that he's got it. I am completely behind the Devils and hope they come all the way back - the legend deserves one last chapter" you'd probably be incredulous.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Since you figure the Kings are due to lose a road game there is a good chance this goes to game six. But that's where it will end.
    NJ gets an ealry lead you wonder when the Kings start thinking collapse?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    You see, I don't disagree with this.

Yet you are willfully ignorant to a similarly enormous level of douchebaggery in the NBA thread, going as far as to be completely supportive of the player in question.

That Brodeur is in the conversation of greatest goalies of all time is irrelevant to you because you follow hockey, and you see how the guy has carried himself throughout his career, from postgame interviews, to the intricacies of his on-ice success, to his general persona. If someone came into this thread and was like "I've watched games 4 and 5 of this series, and it's amazing to watch a 40 year old legned of his sport still show that he's got it. I am completely behind the Devils and hope they come all the way back - the legend deserves one last chapter" you'd probably be incredulous.
    I see where you're coming from and you make a lot of sense. The only difference is I've hated the Devils team for 25 years so of course I'd be pissed if someone said what you did. I have no real interest in the NBA at all, much less a true horse in the race of the finals. I guess I am trolling, but since I hate the NBA I'm rooting for whatever would piss off the most fans.

On the other hand, I'd love to see Shane Battier win a title. He's a true class act.

NYYF Legend

Brodeur is awesome. I don't really care that he was a douche husband since neither of my sisters were involved in his marriages.

I just want to see him pass Roy in the conversation for best goalie in the modern hockey era. I'd love nothing more than to see him post back-to-back shutouts to close the comeback.

Oh, and I'm a total fair weather hockey fan. If the Devils or Sharks aren't involved, I don't really care about hockey.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I see where you're coming from and you make a lot of sense. The only difference is I've hated the Devils team for 25 years so of course I'd be pissed if someone said what you did. I have no real interest in the NBA at all, much less a true horse in the race of the finals. I guess I am trolling, but since I hate the NBA I'm rooting for whatever would piss off the most fans.

On the other hand, I'd love to see Shane Battier win a title. He's a true class act.
    What joy do you get out of seeing complete strangers pissed off? Seems kind of stupid to me considering you have no interest in the sport.

Kings haven't lost 3 games in a row since mid-February when they dropped 4 in a row, with one of them in the shootout.

NYYF Legend

Regardless of how one feels about Marty, and count me in as not a fan, it is pretty amazing how well he's playing at his age. 40 year old goalies are not supposed to be playing this well.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Brodeur is awesome. I don't really care that he was a douche husband since neither of my sisters were involved in his marriages.

I just want to see him pass Roy in the conversation for best goalie in the modern hockey era. I'd love nothing more than to see him post back-to-back shutouts to close the comeback.

Oh, and I'm a total fair weather hockey fan. If the Devils or Sharks aren't involved, I don't really care about hockey.
    In the half-century of hockey I've witnessed, Brodeur is a great goalie, but Roy, Dryden & Hasek were better. The offenses Marty has to face pales in comparision to those other guys.
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RogerNatural View Post
    In the half-century of hockey I've witnessed, Brodeur is a great goalie, but Roy, Dryden & Hasek were better. The offenses Marty has to face pales in comparision to those other guys.
    Like I said I'm not a hockey buff so for the most part I have to defer to others.

Dryden seemed like the Bill Russel of hockey with his 6 championships in 8 seasons. but he was also a bit of a different era so I'll throw him out.

The other 3 all seem pretty close to my non-trained eye and all played pretty much the same time period.
    Hasek didn't win a cup until he had the high powered Red Wings offense skating in front of him then picked up another as a backup. But I do recall him making many an acrobatic highlight reel save in his Saber days.

Roy has 4 cups - 2 of which he was the conn-smyth (I'm sure I butchered the spelling of that) winner, his last coming against Brodeur. Broduer has 3 cups, no conn-smyth but that could change if he helps bring them back from 3-0 to win his 4th cup.

For regular season though Broduer and Roy are really statistically very close on GA, SV% with marty have more Ws and SOs, the Ws because he played more as he has more Ls too.
    Baseball is life;

Like I said I'm not a hockey buff so for the most part I have to defer to others.

Dryden seemed like the Bill Russel of hockey with his 6 championships in 8 seasons. but he was also a bit of a different era so I'll throw him out.

The other 3 all seem pretty close to my non-trained eye and all played pretty much the same time period.
    Hasek didn't win a cup until he had the high powered Red Wings offense skating in front of him then picked up another as a backup. But I do recall him making many an acrobatic highlight reel save in his Saber days.

Roy has 4 cups - 2 of which he was the conn-smyth (I'm sure I butchered the spelling of that) winner, his last coming against Brodeur. Broduer has 3 cups, no conn-smyth but that could change if he helps bring them back from 3-0 to win his 4th cup.

For regular season though Broduer and Roy are really statistically very close on GA, SV% with marty have more Ws and SOs, the Ws because he played more as he has more Ls too.

Roy actually won the Conn Smythe three times and the last time he won he he out dueled Marty big time. Avs were up a creek with out Forsberg in that series and Roy was magnificent, Marty not so much.

Marty has never won while being his teams best player, period. That can change this year, but you'll be hard pressed to find a big game goalie better than Roy.

Hasek won 2 Hart trophies as league MVP, the only goalie to ever do so. Hes in a league of his own when you're talking about goalies from his era IMO.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CanoForPresident View Post
    Roy actually won the Conn Smythe three times and the last time he won he he out dueled Marty big time. Avs were up a creek with out Forsberg in that series and Roy was magnificent, Marty not so much.

Marty has never won while being his teams best player, period. That can change this year, but you'll be hard pressed to find a big game goalie better than Roy.

Hasek won 2 Hart trophies as league MVP, the only goalie to ever do so. Hes in a league of his own when you're talking about goalies from his era IMO.
    WRT Hasek I guess it becomes a peak v longevity issue maybe.

It is kind of funny. In 2 of the year's that Marty's teams won the cup he had the best goal's against average in the playoffs those seasons and better than any season Roy ever posted, even his three CS throphy years. The two have virtual identical playoff save percentage and Marty is better by a 3rd of a goal per game but becuase Roy has been on better teams for the most part he's had more playoff sucess and Broduer sometimes get the wrap of being in a good defensive system with the great trap the Devils had in the 90s.

All three were great no doubt.
    Baseball is life;

WRT Hasek I guess it becomes a peak v longevity issue maybe.

It is kind of funny. In 2 of the year's that Marty's teams won the cup he had the best goal's against average in the playoffs those seasons and better than any season Roy ever posted, even his three CS throphy years. The two have virtual identical playoff save percentage and Marty is better by a 3rd of a goal per game but becuase Roy has been on better teams for the most part he's had more playoff sucess and Broduer sometimes get the wrap of being in a good defensive system with the great trap the Devils had in the 90s.

All three were great no doubt.
    This is where you need to be careful with stats...

He should have better stats because he didn't face nearly the amount of quality scoring chances Roy did. Devils fans may not want to hear it, but there were many nights where Marty would face under 20 shots against with maybe one quality scoring chance against en route to a shut out.

Roy was fortunate to be on teams that were good, theres no doubt about that, but he was a huge reason why his teams won. Marty is a guy who has more or less, kind of just been along for the ride.

NYYF Legend

Roy was a wife beater.........athletes and morality?........oy vey.......

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

NYYF Legend

Go Devils!..........I don't care who wins..........entertain me and give me a game seven......u

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CanoForPresident View Post
    This is where you need to be careful with stats...

He should have better stats because he didn't face nearly the amount of quality scoring chances Roy did. Devils fans may not want to hear it, but there were many nights where Marty would face under 20 shots against with maybe one quality scoring chance against en route to a shut out.

Roy was fortunate to be on teams that were good, theres no doubt about that, but he was a huge reason why his teams won. Marty is a guy who has more or less, kind of just been along for the ride.
    I'll buy an argument that Roy was better. But that last statement is simply way off base.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Roy carried the Habs for those 2 Cups in 86 and 93...........we were middle of the pack teams truth be told..........whose better?..............let's just say it's a tie and play nice

NYYF Legend

Kings flying............

NYYF Legend

Gut check time............

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by montrealer View Post
    Roy carried the Habs for those 2 Cups in 86 and 93...........we were middle of the pack teams truth be told..........whose better?..............let's just say it's a tie and play nice

Not a good start for the Devils.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Tough call.......but the right call.......as for the miss call?..............life's not fair.....

Mr. Know-It-All Casey at the Bat's Avatar

Go kings go!

NYYF Cy Young

Devils deep in a hole. This is where true character comes up
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

Mr. Know-It-All Casey at the Bat's Avatar

This game is all kings. Devils are playing like a defeated team.

Steve Bernier for Conn Smythe!

Thread Information