+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Flaherty Is a Terrible Announcer

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Tjose tantrums were off the field and they were more about him failing than anything else. He never blamed anyone but himself for mistakes and if the camera is going to catch him having a tantrum then it is. It only shows the passion he had for succeeding all the time no matter what. I have never, up until now even heard of him being anything close to self serving, and again the way he presented himself on the field he was as humble as could be.
    Even at the time, I thought they were embarrassing, petulant little fits that showed immaturity more than intensity. Otherwise, though, I liked him a lot as a player. It's only since he's been a broadcaster and revealed more of his personality that I've discovered I don't much like him as a person (or broadcaster).

I'm sure he wouldn't think much of me, either.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Maybe I need to pay more attention. I don't get that from him. Maybe it's because I'm so relieved I'm not listening to Kay at the moment. Maybe now that you made me aware of this little tid bit I will notice.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Even at the time, I thought they were embarrassing, petulant little fits that showed immaturity more than intensity. Otherwise, though, I liked him a lot as a player. It's only since he's been a broadcaster and revealed more of his personality that I've discovered I don't much like him as a person (or broadcaster).
    I totally agree with all this. I was similarly displeased with how he is in the booth and his Hawkins attitude. That said, I can almost forgive his many sins due to his willingness and ability to roast Michael Kay in a variety of entertaining ways. If we could rid ourselves of Kay--my long-held dream, I'd dispense with Paulie one second later. The two of them babbling about food has become excruciating.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

He was talking about how wonderful it felt to hear Yankee fans mercilessly booing a Yankee player.It was ridiculous and destructive, and if he'd had an ounce of class or professionalism he would have said so, and supported Hawkins. Instead, it was all about O'Neill - he was basking in the glow of the abuse being heaped on a Yankee player.

As I said, I heard him say the same thing on YES. Not a word of support for Hawkins.
    He really said that? Wow.....unreal.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    He really said that? Wow.....unreal.
    Well, those are my words rather than his, but the quote I cited above - yeah, he really said that. That was how he reacted to the booing.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

This is another reason I try not to get involved with the extra curricular activities of my favorite celebrities, musicians and athletes. I hate when personalities take away with what I feel about them in their chosen profession. It's why I never went out of my way to actually meet anyone I thought was awesome at what they do. I wanted to keep my opinion of them the way it was, based solely on their profession. Unfortunately now that Paul On'Neill has chosen to take up work in the booth and Dr John pointed out this problem with him, I'm probably going to be annoyed. Thanks! Sigh.

NYYF Legend

Well, those are my words rather than his, but the quote I cited above - yeah, he really said that. That was how he reacted to the booing.
    I'll confirm--he really said words to that effect. In typical MK style, Kay would ask the question every time it happened when Paulie was in the booth. So O'Neill said things like that on more than one occasion.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Addicted Member

On Twitter the other day Fllaherty was asked by a fan if their was a rift between himself and Kay.

https://twitter.com/flash17yes/statu...55392903258112

Kay also responded with this.
    https://twitter.com/RealMichaelKay/s...56696195141634
    http://twitter.com/NYMoot

Faith is a funny thing.

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I'll confirm--he really said words to that effect. In typical MK style, Kay would ask the question every time it happened when Paulie was in the booth. So O'Neill said things like that on more than one occasion.
    It seems more logical to me that he was taking egotistical pleasure in the fans remembering him so fondly than that he was happy that the fans were booing someone else. I still would have liked him to throw in a bit of support for Hawkins, but I don't think it's quite as malicious in intent as some believe.

Quote Originally Posted by mhmajp View Post
    It seems more logical to me that he was taking egotistical pleasure in the fans remembering him so fondly than that he was happy that the fans were booing someone else. I still would have liked him to throw in a bit of support for Hawkins, but I don't think it's quite as malicious in intent as some believe.
    I agree. No malcontent involved methinks, but he certainly at a minimum whiffed huge on an opportunity to try and relieve some of the ridiculous and undeserved scorn Hawkins was receiving - which incidentally was indirectly detrimental to the team he played for and was still employed by.

Quote Originally Posted by mhmajp View Post
    I don't think it was malicious in intent. I think it was clueless, narcissistic, classless and unprofessional, but not deliberately malicious.
    - Barry Manilow

Happy Thanksgiving to all! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

I don't think it was malicious in intent. I think it was clueless, narcissistic, classless and unprofessional, but not deliberately malicious.
    I heard him and I don't think he's the brightest bulb but I'd stop at clueless...I think in his mind he was just commenting on how that was a positive reaction to him from the fans...not necessarily the negative towards Hawkins. I think he's basically a pretty good guy but he's just a little clueless...I don't think he wanted people to boo him for taking the number but just meant he was always appreciative of how the fans treat him here.
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

I would stick with clueless. Those other adjectives are you overplaying your profession, sir.

by the way you're narcissistic, classless, and unprofessional.

NYYF Legend

For me, the salient point was that he could have used that moment on the air to suggest to his devoted fans that booing a current player was not something he supported. I believe any true sportsman could have expressed his appreciation without any endorsement of the behavior, and made some move to suggest that fans should not do that for the good of the team and fairness to Hawkins. I never thought there was malice involved, but just a failure to do the right thing for the team.

I would stick with clueless. Those other adjectives are you overplaying your profession, sir.

by the way you're narcissistic, classless, and unprofessional.
    I stand by my statement, regardless of my own personality flaws.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

So is this now no longer the "Flaherty Is a Terrible Announcer" thread, but the "Paul O'Neill Is a Terrible Person" thread?

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    So is this now no longer the "Flaherty Is a Terrible Announcer" thread, but the "Paul O'Neill Is a Terrible Person" thread?
    Some people think that. Other people aren't big fans of JL25and3.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Some people think that. Other people aren't big fans of JL25and3.
    Just so you don't try to get away with wearing No. 21. Or No. 17.

Flaherty is not a good announcer, but he's far from the worst. Bland and occasionally annoying is nothing compared to some of the garbage announcers out there. The White Sox and the Tigers are pretty bad. And I can't stand Remy, but that's probably 95% due to him announcing the Sox.

As for the Kay/Flaherty thing, it's Kay's shtick. That's what he does with people he likes. I think they get along fine. I think maybe Flaherty gets a bit annoyed with Kay's insistent personality, but I don't think there's any issues between them.

I've actually grown to tolerate Michael Kay. He's mellowed significantly. He used to be unbearable, but he's a different person these past 5 or 6 years.

I love Singleton. Guy is classy, and although I think there are some aspects of the game he's not quite spot on about, he's just a pleasure to listen to because even though he's an Oriole at heart, you get the sense he's being fair and also pulling for the Yankees to win.

I also love Leiter. He's flat out awesome. I love his passion so much. If it weren't for his excitability, he'd be a hell of a pitching coach. He knows the game, he's incredibly observant, and I just enjoy listening to him in general. Great guy.

Coney, I like him, and I loved him as a player. But as an announcer, as funny as he can be sometimes when he's just barely toeing the line of inappropriate comments about the seedy underbelly of MLB culture, there's just something that I don't like about him calling a game.

If I had to listen to three guys, it would be Leiter, Singleton, and Kay. I do like the back and forth between Paulie and Kay, too, but those three guys make for the best combination.

Well no matter what announcer we speak about, chances are every announcer in the Yankees booth is going to get ragged on in some way. We have an entire cast of clowns. Even the Sterling thread takes it's twists and turns.

Flaherty is so boring that we may have (temporarily) run out of things to complain about.

Well no matter what announcer we speak about, chances are every announcer in the Yankees booth is going to get ragged on in some way. We have an entire cast of clowns. Even the Sterling thread takes it's twists and turns.
    No, we do not have an entire cast of clowns.

Normally I would be frustrated with O'Neill because he's bad announcer. However, because he was one of my favorite players growing up, I'm a littler harsher and then I guess more disappointed. Because he chose to enter the booth, I've seen how much he's egotistical, lazy, dumb, and flat-out unprofessional. Mostly I'm just sad about the situation.

Anyway, to get back on topic, Flaherty is still terrible. My least favorite. I know you're bad when I'd rather have O'Neill.

Quote Originally Posted by Principessa21 View Post
    No, we do not have an entire cast of clowns.
    Yes we do. It doesn't mean some are not good (I like Cone, Leiter, and O'Neill) but everyone is a clown in some way. With Sterling leading the bunch. He's the one that annoys you with the flower squirting in your face. Kay just sits behind him making stupid balloon animals.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AnAbombfromA-rod13 View Post
    On Twitter the other day Fllaherty was asked by a fan if their was a rift between himself and Kay.

https://twitter.com/flash17yes/statu...55392903258112

Kay also responded with this.
    https://twitter.com/RealMichaelKay/s...56696195141634
    People actually thought they didn't like each other?

wow.

I always thought their banter back and forth shtick was pretty obvious, they're trying to be funny like two friends who joke on one another whether they are funny or not is I assume up to you guys.

Same thing with Paul O'Neil and all the free food stuff, it's banter that Kay throws out there that is all in good fun.

Some people obviously take what they say announcing a little too seriously.

Yankees out of play is a scary, scary place with to put it nicely very interesting threads and comments even more so then the rest of the forum which is also very interesting.

NYYF MVP

I didn't know people cared what the announcers said until I started consuming sports blogs/forums a couple of years ago around when I was about 18.

Personally, I could really care less I simply watch the games, obviously a lot of you do which is strange to me though I'm not judging.

Though the complaints I usually notice is fan complaining about the national broadcasters specifically FOX, ESPN etc and their presumed bias which each teams fans think they have a bias against their team...

Thread Information