+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Flaherty Is a Terrible Announcer

WHY are we subjected to him year after year? Do the people at YES actually think he adds anything to a broadcast?

Even if I don't like a particular announcer, I can usually understand why some people would like them. In this case, I really just don't get it. He doesn't even add comic relief, just relays the most obvious information possible, all in a monotone.

NYYF Legend

Re: Flaherty Is a Terrible Announcer

Agreed. I can't stand him.

you must not be proud of your fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Go Yanks View Post
    WHY are we subjected to him year after year? Do the people at YES actually think he adds anything to a broadcast?

Even if I don't like a particular announcer, I can usually understand why some people would like them. In this case, I really just don't get it. He doesn't even add comic relief, just relays the most obvious information possible, all in a monotone.
    I can't stand him either! His Twitter is terrible too! I've heard rumors Kay isn't too fond of him either.

NYYF Triple Crown

Although he does look like a genius compared to the clubhouse Amazon Woman reporter.

Seriously, is anyone just a huge fan of his announcing? The best I've heard is "he's OK compared to Kay (or whomever)."

I'v got absolutely no problem with him ... its TV ..if you do watch or dont watch any sports game on TV because of any particular announcers, then you are not a real fan of the game .. just turn down the sound. Listen to the Yankees on the radio, now you are suffering through the worst pain known in sports, if not the entire broadcasting medium. Mr. Magoo could do a better play by play than Sterling and you complain about Flaherty? Sterling has lowered the bar so low, I'd beg to have Tino Martinez do the play by play on radio.

Flaherty is boring, but I like the fact that a more recent Yankee than Cone and O'Neill is on the broadcast team and he sees the game through a catcher's perspective. Every now and then it can be good to have him there, though just he and Kay are brutal. When Flaherty does play by play when Kay or Singleton aren't in the booth with him is real painful.

Singleton is still the standard when it comes to broadcasting Yankee games. He has the great voice, the solid playing career and the ability to do both play by play and color. I'm also impressed with how much Yankee and baseball hisoty he knows. It seems like most ex-players, even those in media, don't know as much as you would think they do.

He's just another addition to one of the worst announcing staff in baseball. We have so many guys and most of them flat out suck. I really only enjoy Cone and O'Neill because they're funny and rip on whoever else is in the booth. Especially Kay. Otherwise, blah.

The good thing about Flaherty is as a former player from not too long ago he does bring some good to announcing. I love listening to what all the ex players have to say rather than Kay's speculation and stuff.

Go get Howie Rose!!!!!!!!!
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Legend

I think that for any future hires for the booth, the YES Network should consider hiring an actual broadcaster. The YES Network has become the landing zone for former Yankees' players who want to stay near the game but are not looking to manage/coach and not all of them have been great selections. Flaherty would have to be at or near the top of that list. YES made a huge error when they let Jim Kaat walk away too. Kitty and Kenny in the booth together were golden.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    I think that for any future hires for the booth, the YES Network should consider hiring an actual broadcaster. The YES Network has become the landing zone for former Yankees' players who want to stay near the game but are not looking to manage/coach and not all of them have been great selections. Flaherty would have to be at or near the top of that list. YES made a huge error when they let Jim Kaat walk away too. Kitty and Kenny in the booth together were golden.
    I agree that they shouldn't have let Kaat walk, but I actually don't mind the less polished sound of former players in the booth when it's done right. IMO, it's a nice contrast to hear. David Cone definitely isn't an "actual broadcaster" type, but I think most everyone (myself included) loves him in the booth. Leiter may not be the same universal favorite, but I think many people enjoy him as well. What I don't understand is why Flaherty is brought back year after year after year.

Forum Regular

I love listening to Singleton, Cone, and O'Neill. Kay is ok. He is borderline Sterling-esque but I can handle it. I love when Cone and O'Neill rip on Kay though. As for Flaherty, he is a bit boring but I do like the player perspective and since he was a catcher he brings a bit more than most others.

NYYF Legend

There are very few announcers that satisfy all listeners. I bet even the great, legendary Vin Scully has his followers who think he is over the hill. I like the guy from Baltimore who's name escapes me at this moment.

NYYF Legend

I support the premise of this thread 100%. Flaherty is awful.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Flaherty is awful but generally innocuous. Because of his bland montone, I barely even notice what his says. He doesn't piss me off or intrude on the game, unlike, say, Paul O'Neill.

I don't mind low-key - as I've said, my favorite team is Singleton-Leiter, though most others prefer Singleton-Cone. But even low-key announcers should sound as if they're alive, and that's where Flaherty falls short.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    There are very few announcers that satisfy all listeners. I bet even the great, legendary Vin Scully has his followers who think he is over the hill. I like the guy from Baltimore who's name escapes me at this moment.
    On Radio, it's Joe Angel -- he's excellent! He had been with the Os teaming with Jon Miller on WBAL, then went to the Marlins beginning with their inagurual season. Had the pleasure of listening to him while living down there. Baltimore's verrrry lucky to have him back, IMO.

(I know nothing about TV guys.)
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

121st Street & a On The End Ave.

The worst is when he recaps a play that just happened over the footage of it. He says THE most obvious things possible, like just saying out loud what he's seeing instead of giving some sort of "inside" perspective.

NYYF Legend

The worst is when he recaps a play that just happened over the footage of it. He says THE most obvious things possible, like just saying out loud what he's seeing instead of giving some sort of "inside" perspective.
    I like when he tells us that a player is struggling because they have bad body language, i.e., it's the body language that is causing the poor performance. He generally pulls that gem out at least once a series.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I like when he tells us that a player is struggling because they have bad body language, i.e., it's the body language that is causing the poor performance. He generally pulls that gem out at least once a series.
    Haha, yeah.

It's also so uncomfortable to hear Flaherty and Kay passive aggressively go at each other like they did today. I get these sense that they don't like each other. I know Leiter and Kay disagree on air a lot too, but it doesn't seem as genuine as Flaherty and Kay's little arguments.

NYYF Legend

Girardi was very good, he brought that inside thinking like no one else I heard. It was good because listening to him dissect the game makes you see how a manager runs the game through his head. O'Neil, and the pitchers are great because they are funny but they don't get into or maybe don't care about the overall game plan outside of their position as much as Joe did.

and when they make fun of kay it is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by HerbieLee20 View Post
    On Radio, it's Joe Angel -- he's excellent! He had been with the Os teaming with Jon Miller on WBAL, then went to the Marlins beginning with their inagurual season. Had the pleasure of listening to him while living down there. Baltimore's verrrry lucky to have him back, IMO.

(I know nothing about TV guys.)
    Joe Angel was a Yankee broadcaster 20 years ago. I recognized the name, but I have to admit that I remember absolutely nothing about him as a broadcaster.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Haha, yeah.

It's also so uncomfortable to hear Flaherty and Kay passive aggressively go at each other like they did today. I get these sense that they don't like each other. I know Leiter and Kay disagree on air a lot too, but it doesn't seem as genuine as Flaherty and Kay's little arguments.
    Kay and Leiter are friends so that's just good-natured jesting between them but I do think there's a definite edge between Kay and Flaherty. I especially like when Flaherty will mention something about former pitchers he has caught and will say to Kay, "like our good friend Mike Mussina" and Kay can't say a thing because we all know how much he and Mussina disliked each other. Definitely a jab.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
    Girardi was very good, he brought that inside thinking like no one else I heard. It was good because listening to him dissect the game makes you see how a manager runs the game through his head. O'Neil, and the pitchers are great because they are funny but they don't get into or maybe don't care about the overall game plan outside of their position as much as Joe did.

and when they make fun of kay it is the best.
    O'Neill and Kay making fun of each other is one of the worst things about Yankee broadcasts.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    O'Neill and Kay making fun of each other is one of the worst things about Yankee broadcasts.
    I could not disagree more. It's a 3 hour game, sometimes more. The announcers are allowed to laugh at each other a few times.

Look at the Mets' TV broadcast. Best in the business, because of how well they mix the fun into the game.

Any time Kay's big ego and head takes a hit, it's a positive. He gets more annoying and predictable every season.

We need Singleton to do more games if possible

Thread Information