49 62.03%
  • Josh Hamilton

30 37.97%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Re: Choose one: Josh Hamilton or Cole Hamels

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    So...in what context do you see heroin addicts through your work such that you can comment onthe drug's effects?
    When they get caught with the drugs, relapse or not. I also get to see their drug evaluations that goes into their history.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

I'm amused by this conversation. The details of his addiction problems....
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I'm amused by this conversation. The details of his addiction problems....
    Right now he's addicted to hitting baseballs over fences.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

[QUOTE=ThePinStripes;7504988][QUOTE=Blazer;7504879]He'll certainly decline, but I think it will be later than you think. Regardless, for 2 years (at least) he'll greatly improve the team.
    And we'd be paying him for 6-8 years. If it was a 2 or 3 year deal, I'd be on board

1. Talk about SSS. It's 117 innings across his career.
    Since it's only 117 IP across his career, his rookie year and year after are a big part of those numbers.

His ERA is inflated because of his numbers in his rookie year and the year after. He's been fine in inter-league after that, especially since he's been facing a lot of of the AL East (about 70 of 117 IP)
    2006: 8.04 ERA
    2007: 5.54 ERA
    2008: 3.86 ERA
    2009: 3.65ERA
    2010: 3.60ERA
    2011: 1.96ERA

I'm not concerned about him making the NL/AL transition.
    His career ERA v. the AL East (minus the Yanks) is 4.63.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Have you seen Cole Hamels pitch? The dude isn't gonna turn into a puddle of mush after switching to a superior division and league. He misses and limits the walks; those types of guys are generally successful.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Have you seen Cole Hamels pitch? The dude isn't gonna turn into a puddle of mush after switching to a superior division and league. He misses and limits the walks; those types of guys are generally successful.
    Not ashamed to admit that Game 3 of the 2009 World Series is the only full game I've ever watched Hamels pitch. He wasn't so great that night (in fact, he looked like a deer in the headlights) but I take your word on what he would hypothetically bring to the Yankees.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    When they get caught with the drugs, relapse or not. I also get to see their drug evaluations that goes into their history.
    Like dealers? Must be weird. I've never (knowingly) met a heroin addict. I wonder if I could tell.

Do you think Hamilton is likely to totally relapse?

I'm with you and teknetic either way. Hamels would be fine in the AL East.

No doubt he misses bats. I prefer Hamilton and am almost certain Hamels will prefer staying in the NL which will make him cost prohibitive for what he gives a team.

Given the industry standard of 5/$100 mil Hamels must know he might be able to get 2 such deals if he stays in the softer league.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

I voted for Josh would be nice to a have a lefty who can hit like that plus with the yanks getting older he'd be a very nice addition. The relapses dont really bother me that much everyone makes mistakes and he owned up to them

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    The Hamels/Harper thing was dumb but so blown out of proportion. People act like its the first time in history someone was beaned without provocation.
    While NerfBall is teaching people about the proper spelling of "heroin", my trivial crusade of the year is to get people to start using the term "beaned" properly. Harper wasn't beaned at all, not even close to it.
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

Didn't he relapse with alcohol this year?

If the Yankees get him, I think he should be encouraged to relapse every year before Spring Training. Alcohol only, obviously... we wouldn't want to be cruel. Although who knows? Maybe if he had done some heroin earlier, he'd be hitting .500 at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Not ashamed to admit that Game 3 of the 2009 World Series is the only full game I've ever watched Hamels pitch. He wasn't so great that night (in fact, he looked like a deer in the headlights) but I take your word on what he would hypothetically bring to the Yankees.
    He was pretty crap that entire year for one reason (like Cano's '08).

NYYF Legend

pitching wins games, if Hamilton didnt have the off the field problems and stayed healthy I would have voted for him, but developing pitching is so hard.
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Devoted Member

I chose Josh Hamilton. I think the Yankees have some really good quality young arms--Pineda, Betances, Banuelos, Phelps, etc. that are ML ready. Put that with CC, Hughes, and Nova and that's a lot of pitching. Not including the fact we can get another vet arm out there.

The team struggled with timely hitting the past 2 postseasons, IMO. Having Josh Hamilton in the middle of the order with Cano & Granderson would be dangerous.

I fear that it could make us a little lefty dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by JBursch23 View Post
    I fear that it could make us a little lefty dominant.
    The Yankees entire stadium was built for a team that was lefty dominant.

Would rather have Hamilton. I have a feeling Hamels is going to break at some point in the future. Also, it would be a direct blow to one of our top rivals.

Honestly though, I'd rather just see the money go to Granderson and Cano, which is what will probably happen

Quote Originally Posted by JBursch23 View Post
    I chose Josh Hamilton. I think the Yankees have some really good quality young arms--Pineda, Betances, Banuelos, Phelps, etc. that are ML ready. Put that with CC, Hughes, and Nova and that's a lot of pitching. Not including the fact we can get another vet arm out there.
    I'm not that comfortable having so many ifs. The Killer Bs and Phelps are unproven in the majors, Pineda needs to recoup, Hughes is Jekyll & Hyde. I'm on the Nova bandwagon now even if this year hasn't been spectacular. CC is CC but besides him everyone is an "if" I'd love to have a solid #2 and deal with all the "ifs" after that. Oh and you forgot Kuroda, I think he's been a pleasant addition to this staff. Even if his record doesn't indicate it.

It's nice to have a stock of young arms but but too many doesn't make me comfortable. Unless of course they do what happened in SF. That would make me happy. But going by Yankees history we just don't get that lucky with pitching.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
    Didn't he relapse with alcohol this year?

If the Yankees get him, I think he should be encouraged to relapse every year before Spring Training. Alcohol only, obviously... we wouldn't want to be cruel. Although who knows? Maybe if he had done some heroin earlier, he'd be hitting .500 at this point.
    I am really hoping you were joking...but not funny at all...hope nobody here knows anyone going through things like relapse...because if you do you'd know it's not a joking matter.
    NYYFANS.com Fantasy Baseball: Carolina Force
    2010 & 2011 Gehrig Division Champs.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by The FUTURE View Post
    I am really hoping you were joking...but not funny at all...hope nobody here knows anyone going through things like relapse...because if you do you'd know it's not a joking matter.
    Well said. I knew someone, a family member, who relapsed a few times. This was before they died of cirrhosis, among other things. I never bought the disease aspect of it, until I witnessed it.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Like dealers? Must be weird. I've never (knowingly) met a heroin addict. I wonder if I could tell.
    They come in all shapes and sizes and forms, which is basically how long they've been doing it.

Do you think Hamilton is likely to totally relapse?
    Statistically, yes. My clients go through rehabs like you go through paper towels. Some even get kicked out. Just finishing a rehab is an accomplishment. Staying clean is a whole different battle.

The drug addicts genuinely scare me. Mind you, I've met with (real) gang members in bars, and have all kinds of clients from (alleged) sex offenders, drug dealers, etc. Doesn't bother me one bit. The meth and H addicts- they scare the ................ out of me.

Based on any individual factor? No clue. I don't know Josh, his support network, the extent of his addiction, etc.

I'm with you and teknetic either way. Hamels would be fine in the AL East.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Hamels is a #2 Pitcher in the AL and we have a number of promising young pitching prospects who should be ready to make the team next year.

Hamilton, on the other hand, is a monster who might approach 70 HR's in Yankee Stadium.

More importantly, Hamilton hits good pitching, a very unique and underrated quality that matters a great deal in October, ala Reggie.

This is an easy call for me ...

SS Derek Jeter
    CF Curtis Granderson
    RF Josh Hamilton
    3B Alex Rodriguez
    2B Robinson Cano
    1B Mark Teixeira
    DH Ibanez/Jones
    C Russell Martin
    LF Brett Gardner

If we were talking about Felix Hernandez, then I'd have to think about it, but no way I'm talking Hamels over Hamilton.
    Last edited by Battingly; 05-13-12 at 01:33 PM.

NYYF Legend

The only thing that would stop me from taking the super Josh Hamilton is his history of drug abuse. I know that he is clean today, but would you risk millions if he lapses in the next few years?

Released Outright

Hamels, mostly because we can create a platoon in the outfield that can be very productive and cheap for a year, while you can't really do that with pitching. Having Sabathia, Hamels, and Pineda at the top of the rotation is just awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    Hamels is a #2 Pitcher in the AL and we have a number of promising young pitching prospects who should be ready to make the team next year.

Hamilton, on the other hand, is a monster who might even 70 HR's in Yankee Stadium.

More importantly, Hamilton hits good pitching too, a very unique and underrated quality that matters a great deal in October, ala Reggie.

This is an easy call for me ...

SS Derek Jeter
    CF Curtis Granderson
    RF Josh Hamilton
    3B Alex Rodriguez
    2B Robinson Cano
    1B Mark Teixeira
    DH Ibanez/Jones
    C Russell Martin
    LF Brett Gardner

If we were talking about Felix Hernandez, then I'd have to think about it, but no way I'm talking Hamels over Hamilton.
    with felix's velo issue you'd think twice about that
    always reasonable

NYYF Cy Young

Pretty much what I was coming here to post. Hamels is legit, and is one of the best pitchers in baseball. I take him over Hamilton 10 times out of 10 right now.

Thread Information