79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cole Hamels

49 62.03%
  • Josh Hamilton

30 37.97%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Choose one: Josh Hamilton or Cole Hamels

I'd go with Hamilton. Elite offense is a dire need for the Yankees and it will be even worse next year.

The biggest alcoholic in the history of major league baseball is the most popular Yankee of all time. I don't consider 1 alcohol relaps "off the field problems", i consider it human. Yes he has a history of heroine which presents a level of risk, but it hasn't been an issue in 5 years. I'd consider an athlete who owns a motor cycle or visits a home country with poverty issues to be just as risky.

The reason I wouldn't want Hamilton is the injury history, not the drug history.

That said I literally can't imagine myself rooting for Cole Hammels under any circumstances.

I wouldn't pick either. Hamilton if he can stay healthy is going to get a bananas contract and Hamels will be sought by everyone on the market. Cubs and Dodgers have money to throw around and need pitching. He'll get a CC type deal. I'd just rather see what we have in house first. But if it's gun to my head, Hamels.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    If by trade, it's not happening unless Lawrie is included and that ain't happening.
    I concur.....never the less.......it`s flying up her.....

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BennyTheJetRodriguez View Post
    The biggest alcoholic in the history of major league baseball is the most popular Yankee of all time. I don't consider 1 alcohol relaps "off the field problems", i consider it human. Yes he has a history of heroine which presents a level of risk, but it hasn't been an issue in 5 years. I'd consider an athlete who owns a motor cycle or visits a home country with poverty issues to be just as risky.

The reason I wouldn't want Hamilton is the injury history, not the drug history.

That said I literally can't imagine myself rooting for Cole Hammels under any circumstances.
    We know the baggage........no need to drag it any further.....

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Hamels.

I don't care about Hamilton's past, don't care about signing the better role model, and don't care about deterring future beanballs through economic sanctions.

Also Hamels has had a HR/FB % of <10 the past two years in spite of increased changeup usage. Don't see that as a problem. He also doesn't walk batters, so a slight uptick in homers wouldn't be devastating.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Hamilton needs a lot of Jesus and an absence of temptation to keep him sober. He's 3 years older. He's injury prone. He's 31 (in 2 weeks) and we can only expect him to decline.

Hammels is only 28, it's much harder to find elite starting pitching. We also need starting pitching, bad. CC is about all we've got next year, and he's starting to age (looking at the next 3-4 years).

I also expect the price tag on Hamilton to be nearly double Hammels (maybe 1.5-1.75x).

Hammels by a mile.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Alcoholic vs. heroine addict. I'm not sure you understand how insane of drug heroine is. As a criminal defense attorney, I can tell you it's absolutely insane, to put it mildly.

NYYF Triple Crown

Lean towards Hamilton, because our lineup isn't getting any younger. I obviously would want to see how our MiLB pitchers progress and see how everything pans out this season though.
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Hamilton needs a lot of Jesus and an absence of temptation to keep him sober. He's 3 years older. He's injury prone. He's 31 (in 2 weeks) and we can only expect him to decline.

Hammels is only 28, it's much harder to find elite starting pitching. We also need starting pitching, bad. CC is about all we've got next year, and he's starting to age (looking at the next 3-4 years).

I also expect the price tag on Hamilton to be nearly double Hammels (maybe 1.5-1.75x).

Hammels by a mile.
    Sorry but New York is not an ideal destination for him.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

NYYF Cy Young

This isn't even close for me, Hamels, without thinking twice.

Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

Wait....WHAT????? None of that makes sense whatsoever!!!! is this post real???
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

Within 2 years 2 of the 3 Yanks middle of the order hitters will be #6 & #7 type hitters. Now that Montero isn't here Hammie is the next best option.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

i'd go with coal hamels

trouble with hamilton is that he's injury prone. there is 0 chance they are signing him though because of club culture concerns..

hamels' behavior is reckless but it also shows competitive fire, however misguided. it's not bad
    always reasonable

Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    Within 2 years 2 of the 3 Yanks middle of the order hitters will be #6 & #7 type hitters. Now that Montero isn't here Hammie is the next best option.
    They could both be Hammies you know
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

I said Hamilton because there is absolutely zero chance it happens imo. Would love to see Sabathia and Hamels go 1-2 and hopefully Pineda heals up and we have a pretty solid 1-2-3.
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

Quote Originally Posted by Yanksfanintoronto View Post
    They could both be Hammies you know
    Which makes the decision or at least choices of nicknames that much easier for Joe G.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    in 3 years, Hamilton will be 34 years old.

Hammels by a mile.
    No way Hamilton makes double what Hamels gets.

Alcoholic vs. heroine addict. I'm not sure you understand how insane of drug heroine is. As a criminal defense attorney, I can tell you it's absolutely insane, to put it mildly.
    I'm pretty sure as a criminal defense attorney you only see the relapses, which might skew your perception. The person who has overcome an addiction isn't likely to ever be a client. If Hamilton was willing to come to NY, his addiction problems would be low on my list of concerns.

in 3 years, Hamilton will be 34 years old.
    In 3 years Tex will be worthless offensively and ARod will be a singles hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I'm pretty sure as a criminal defense attorney you only see the relapses, which might skew your perception. The person who has overcome an addiction isn't likely to ever be a client. If Hamilton was willing to come to NY, his addiction problems would be low on my list of concerns.
    His relapses have been 2 nights on the town in 2+ years. Both of those occasions were in the depth of the offseason. Perhaps he was bored in January, but now he's a triple crown contender.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by montrealer View Post
    Rumour mill has Hamels going to the Jays.......
    Rumor mill has the Jays inquiring on Hamels and Victorino.

A little bit of a difference there.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

i could totally see the jays getting hamels. it would be bad bad bad if that happens
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    No, not really. It's not like relapsing is a crime.

Thread Information