View Poll Results: Robertson or Soriano?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Robertson

74 64.35%
  • Soriano

40 34.78%
  • Other (like there's another)

1 0.87%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Robertson or Soriano?

Well, after the shock, let's talk moving forward.

Who is our best option moving forward? Soriano has experience but Robertson is the best set-up man on the planet.

What do all you experts think?
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Re: Robertson or Soriano?

My gut goes with Robertson just based on the domination. My fantasy team begs for Soriano.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

i'd let soriano do the lower leverage work.
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    i'd let soriano do the lower leverage work.
    Which in many instances is actually the closer.

When Storen went down the Nationals decided to keep our old favorite around here Tyler Clippard as the setup man as he was the best pitcher in the bullpen and too important in the role and decided to split the closer job between two worse pitchers (though still good) Lidge and HRod. I think it has worked out. I would like to see the Yankees go in a similar direction and leave Robertson where he is in the setup role.

I actually could see Girardi trying both of them out as closer to see which fits best.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Oops! I pooped on your things! __starr69's Avatar

DRob, because he was the apparent heir to the throne anyway.

Robertson was eventually going to take over so there's no better time than now.

Lifelong Yankee fan

Robertson!!! I don't trust Soriano.

As unforunate as the Mariano news is, we all should feel better knowing that most teams would love to have this choice.
    The artist formerly known as BillBuckner.

Quote Originally Posted by boomerdisciple View Post
    As unforunate as the Mariano news is, we all should feel better knowing that most teams would love to have this choice.

True, the pen is the one area we are deep in, and now, that depth will face the ultimate test.

I have to be honest though, I am now more concerned about the team psyche than simply replacing the closer role.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Robertson no question.

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    True, the pen is the one area we are deep in, and now, that depth will face the ultimate test.

I have to be honest though, I am now more concerned about the team psyche than simply replacing the closer role.
    I agree strongly. The looks on their faces and their reaction after the tear was confirmed was pretty brutal.

NYYF Legend

I think you let Soriano close, since he's done it before and if he stinks you can always flip flop him with Robertson. Of course Robertson can close, its just I dont want him to have added pressure to close now with Mo out.

Theres only 1 Mariano Rivera and I dont want Robertson to think he has to be perfect like him thats why I dont think it would be good for him to close at least this season
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    And this is what's great about Mo: He won't let the team psyche fail. He's not even flying back to NY yet because he wants to stay with the team and make sure everyone is okay.

NYYF Legend

I have to go with D-Rob. He seems to have "closer" written all over him. I'd also feel comfortable with Soriano, but not as much as with Robertson.

One thing is for sure - both of them have the best from which to learn.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

I think Robertson has earned himself a shot at this. He'll probably give me a heart attack but I think he can get the job done.
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Devoted Member

For this season, I'd give Soriano the first crack at it. He's done it before (successfully), and it might be what he needs to regain his Rays form. Eventually I think the role will be Robertson's. He has earned it, but I figure for this season the Yankees can leave him as the 8th inning guy and let him mentally prepare to be the closer next season (if Mo decides not to come back). If Soriano falters of course, then Robertson will have to take over.

Addicted Member

I thought Evan Roberts raised a good point, in that you never want to be "the guy" replacing "the guy". You want to be the one who comes after "the guy" who replaced "the guy". Give Soriano a chance. If he succeeds, awesome. If not, I figure it'd be a good way to ease Robertson into the closer's role. Plus, as Boss pointed out in another thread, if this works, Soriano might be more likely to opt out at the end of the season.

I'd give it to Soriano.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Petey View Post
    I thought Evan Roberts raised a good point, in that you never want to be "the guy" replacing "the guy". You want to be the one who comes after "the guy" who replaced "the guy". Give Soriano a chance. If he succeeds, awesome. If not, I figure it'd be a good way to ease Robertson into the closer's role. Plus, as Boss pointed out in another thread, if this works, Soriano might be more likely to opt out at the end of the season.
    I completely agree. I don't think Giardi can go wrong either way though, whoever he chooses to close.

NYYF Cy Young

I would give it to Robertson.

he was the 8th inning guy before Mo's injury and he has perfomed in that role with flying colors. Make him the closer and see how it goes for a few weeks. If he struggles then I would put Soriano there.
    [FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]“I would like to take the great Di Maggio fishing....They say his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are and would understand.”[/B]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Ernest Hemingway
    “The Old Man and the Sea”[/SIZE][/FONT]

Today We Spell Boss- George nyybronxbomber73's Avatar

I realize im going to catch a lot of flack for this but say soriano fails assuming he gets the role and pettittes return is less than what was expected I would like to see him closing out some games. I think he would deffinetly embrace that role for mo though that leaves the question of who fills in the rotation I think that's something we were already going to have to address at the trade deadline anyway. I liked what I saw from David phelps I think after a couple starts he will be a little more comfortable and start going deeper into games.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by nyybronxbomber73 View Post
    I realize im going to catch a lot of flack for this but say soriano fails assuming he gets the role and pettittes return is less than what was expected I would like to see him closing out some games. I think he would deffinetly embrace that role for mo though that leaves the question of who fills in the rotation I think that's something we were already going to have to address at the trade deadline anyway. I liked what I saw from David phelps I think after a couple starts he will be a little more comfortable and start going deeper into games.
    Don't like the idea of Pettitte closing. He pitches to contact. As a closer you want someone who produces a lot of K's.
    [FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]“I would like to take the great Di Maggio fishing....They say his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are and would understand.”[/B]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Ernest Hemingway
    “The Old Man and the Sea”[/SIZE][/FONT]

Today We Spell Boss- George nyybronxbomber73's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    Don't like the idea of Pettitte closing. He pitches to contact. As a closer you want someone who produces a lot of K's.
    The last few years of pettittes career he started throwing a cutter though at this stage he isn't blowing anyone away with an over powering fastball so I can agree pitching to contact isn't closing material

Addicted Member

You never want to be the guy that replaces a legend. It's better to be the guy that replaces the guy that replaces a legend.

Let Soriano do it this year, and let D-Rob do it next year.

NYYF Legend

Robertson has earned the shot but if Joe want to deploy him in the highest leverage situations, I don' have a problem with that.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Thread Information