+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Mariano hurt

NYYF Legend

Re: Mariano hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Pinstriped_Norwegian View Post
    First time poster here. I hate to make such a sentimental debut but this really was a kick in the teeth.

Being Norwegian, I live in a country where baseball recieves little to no attention. I didn't start watching baseball very closely until about 2006, although I have always had a soft spot for the Yankees thanks to a set of pinstriped pajamas my parents brought home from a trip to New York when I was six years old.

One of the main reasons I went from being a sympathizer to an avid fan, was Mo. Along with Derek Jeter and Andy Pettitte, for me, he personified the greatness and the legacy of the New York Yankees. They opened my eyes to the beauty of baseball. Watching him close out a Yankee win, with all the grace and elegance that is Mo, was ample reward for staying up until the early morning watching a game. I have been a soccer fan all my life, and I have had many heroes and favourite players. None was greater, more impressive or more unique than Mariano Rivera. I dreaded his retirement already, and I'd be heartbroken if his career ends like this.

I have never been to Yankee Stadium and I have never seen Mo pitch. I'm going to New York next week and I'll be at my first game next friday. I was of course hoping to see Mo, my favourite player, and this was probably my only chance to see him pitch before he retired. That won't happen but I'll still be there because of him. Thanks for being great, Mo. Thanks for making me a baseball fan.
    Damn. English is my first language and I can't write like that.

NYYF Legend

Look this sucks. Its worst because it we won't see Mariano pitch again.

The odds are stacked against him, ACL tear takes months to repair and he's 42 and he likely was going to retire anyway. We can all think he's gonna make a miracle recovery or not go out on these terms but, mentally he was done this year anyway.

We still have 137 games to play. We have two damn good closer candidates already on the team. And you know Brian Cashman is already working the phones trying to see if they're any Kerry Wood type setup men we can plug into the bullpen. Also David Aardsma projected to be ready this August, another good setup man candidate. So everybody pick up your skirts, grab your balls and lets win some ball games. Das it. If we linger on it, its gonna make the season worst. Focus on the prize, the new battle cry is:

"Win 28 For Mo"
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

1) We have a deep pen and guys capable of closing

2) The Cardinals lost Adam Wainwright before a pitch was thrown last year, and won the whole damned thing

In short, mourning period over, what's done is done. It does not end the season or the hopes that this team can make the playoffs.

Now we need to focus on the problem, and fixing it. We cannot focus on who we don't have anymore, we have to focus on who we do. I know it sounds cruel, and Rivera is my favorite player of all time, but we have a whole season just about to play. I am not about to fold up tents and go home until next year.

For now, focus on getting some wins. Focus on the game tonight. That's what we can do something about..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    Yeah, this blows. I just hate to see him have to go through this.It's far worse for Mo as a person than it is for the team, though. The bullpen was the least of our problems, and it's still incredibly deep and filled with quality arms. It's a hit, but not a big hit, considering the depth of the pen.

I actually think this is one of those strange, unfortunate things that might be a wake up call to people. One of these "step it up and do it for Mo" kind of things for the team. Maybe not, but I feel like it could be.
    Yeah. I'm trying to be optimistic. Its only May, the team can pull it together.

And I know this isn't the end for Mo. He's not gonna go out like this.
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

dam the last time i felt like this is when my favorite formula 1 driver ayrton senna died.......and rivera didnt even die, but i thinks thats the last we have seen of him

adios mariano

NYYF Legend

I shed a lot of tears last night watching the interviews..I actually started before the interviews because Flaherty was tearing up which surprised me a little...I'm in a somber mood.. Mo is such a class act -- my thoughts are with him today. I'm not going to think about whether I've seen him throw his last pitch - I just can't right now...
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" ...Frank Costanza

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by djhitman01 View Post
    adios mariano
    Nothing is over until he says it is.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by TheStraw View Post
    Nothing is over until he says it is.
    +1...
    [FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]“I would like to take the great Di Maggio fishing....They say his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are and would understand.”[/B]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Ernest Hemingway
    “The Old Man and the Sea”[/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    +1...
    shoud I +1 or +2?

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post

The odds are stacked against him, ACL tear takes months to repair and he's 42 and he likely was going to retire anyway. We can all think he's gonna make a miracle recovery or not go out on these terms but, mentally he was done this year anyway.

We still have 137 games to play. We have two damn good closer candidates already on the team. And you know Brian Cashman is already working the phones trying to see if they're any Kerry Wood type setup men we can plug into the bullpen. Also David Aardsma projected to be ready this August, another good setup man candidate. So everybody pick up your skirts, grab your balls and lets win some ball games. Das it. If we linger on it, its gonna make the season worst. Focus on the prize, the new battle cry is:

"Win 28 For Mo"
    The way this team has been playing maybe this is what they need to pull their heads out of their asses and get it going.

I feel for Mo and this is tragic but maybe this is the adversity the team has to overcome to actually be a team.
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

NYYF MVP

Nice post, Pinstriped_Norwegian.

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    I shed a lot of tears last night watching the interviews..I actually started before the interviews because Flaherty was tearing up which surprised me a little...I'm in somber mood.. Mo is such a class act -- my thoughts are with him today. I'm not going to think about whether I've seen him throw his last pitch - I just can't right now...
    I haven't even been able to watch them

We still have 137 games to play. We have two damn good closer candidates already on the team. So everybody pick up your skirts, grab your balls and lets win some ball games. Das it. If we linger on it, its gonna make the season worst. Focus on the prize, the new battle cry is:

"Win 28 For Mo"

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post

2) The Cardinals lost Adam Wainwright before a pitch was thrown last year, and won the whole damned thing

Now we need to focus on the problem, and fixing it. We cannot focus on who we don't have anymore, we have to focus on who we do. I know it sounds cruel, and Rivera is my favorite player of all time, but we have a whole season just about to play. I am not about to fold up tents and go home until next year.

For now, focus on getting some wins. Focus on the game tonight. That's what we can do something about..

If we look back on exactly one year ago today, how did things look? Calls for a certian SS to be dropped in the batting order, preferrably 9th, for starters...things were looking pretty bleak.

I'm as superstitious as anyone but the pitchers' injuries so far, such things have been happening all over baseball. I live in Philly so have seen replays of the Phillies' last out as St. Louis eliminated them in the first round last October at least 20 times. Not only was Ryan Howard the last out the 2nd year in a row, he collapsed with a torn ACL -- oops that's Achilles -- to add injury to insult. Whatever consolation can be found, it's that Mo was doing something he has always done, and LOVES doing. He didn't do it on the mound, or blowing a save. This team will rally- they're the friggin' Yankees!
    Just looking for ANY silver linings today....

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraYanks2527 View Post
    The way this team has been playing maybe this is what they need to pull their heads out of their asses and get it going.

I feel for Mo and this is tragic but maybe this is the adversity the team has to overcome to actually be a team.
    Just the other night, was thinking "Bored" was the word that fit (IMO.)
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by HerbieLee20 View Post

I'm as superstitious as anyone but the pitchers' injuries so far, such things have been happening all over baseball. I live in Philly so have seen replays of the Phillies' last out as St. Louis eliminated them in the first round last October at least 20 times. Not only was Ryan Howard the last out the 2nd year in a row, he collapsed with a torn ACL to add injury to insult. Whatever consolation can be found, it's that Mo was doing something he has always done, and LOVES doing. He didn't do it on the mound, or blowing a save. This team will rally- they're the friggin' Yankees!
    Just looking for ANY silver linings today....
    For the record, Howard tore his achilles.

I've been trying to find a silver lining as well, but I'm Mariano himself has already found one. We can't replace Mo, but at least we have capable relievers.

First time poster here. I hate to make such a sentimental debut but this really was a kick in the teeth.

Being Norwegian, I live in a country where baseball recieves little to no attention. I didn't start watching baseball very closely until about 2006, although I have always had a soft spot for the Yankees thanks to a set of pinstriped pajamas my parents brought home from a trip to New York when I was six years old.

One of the main reasons I went from being a sympathizer to an avid fan, was Mo. Along with Derek Jeter and Andy Pettitte, for me, he personified the greatness and the legacy of the New York Yankees. They opened my eyes to the beauty of baseball. Watching him close out a Yankee win, with all the grace and elegance that is Mo, was ample reward for staying up until the early morning watching a game. I have been a soccer fan all my life, and I have had many heroes and favourite players. None was greater, more impressive or more unique than Mariano Rivera. I dreaded his retirement already, and I'd be heartbroken if his career ends like this.

I have never been to Yankee Stadium and I have never seen Mo pitch. I'm going to New York next week and I'll be at my first game next friday. I was of course hoping to see Mo, my favourite player, and this was probably my only chance to see him pitch before he retired. That won't happen but I'll still be there because of him. Thanks for being great, Mo. Thanks for making me a baseball fan.
    Well said, and velkommen! Du bør legge oftere!

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Norge View Post
    For the record, Howard tore his achilles.
    Thanks, gonna go edit...
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

So sad if this is the end for Mo. Completely unexpected-- that's what kills me! I hope he comes back to pitch just one more game so we can at least enjoy a final curtain call...
    [FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=3]
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    Pleasantly surprised at the lack of idiotic "he shouldn't be shagging fly balls" posts.
    Who said that? Dumb is right....

NYYF Legend

Dear Mariano,

You have nothing left to prove to anyone. I know you feel you let the team down, but after all you've done for the team and the fans, you don't owe us anything. We owe you a debt of gratitude for 16 years of incomparable performance and 5 championships. Do what's right for yourself and your family, and as much as we all would love to hear "Enter Sandman" blasting through the speakers again next year, unless you're 100% mentally committed, and physically able, let that intro play reverently early next season when you have your Day at the Stadium.

Sincerely,

A Fan
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post
    Dear Mariano,

You have nothing left to prove to anyone. I know you feel you let the team down, but after all you've done for the team and the fans, you don't owe us anything. We owe you a debt of gratitude for 16 years of incomparable performance and 5 championships. Do what's right for yourself and your family, and as much as we all would love to hear "Enter Sandman" blasting through the speakers again next year, unless you're 100% mentally committed, and physically able, let that intro play reverently early next season when you have your Day at the Stadium.

Sincerely,

A Fan
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post

In short, mourning period over, what's done is done. It does not end the season or the hopes that this team can make the playoffs.

I don't think people are this upset because they think it means the season is over. I think it's because we may have just seen the last of an absolute icon. In almost all cases, I root for the uniform over the player, but I think Mariano is the one player where that's not the case.

^ Yea, what he said. This season is already lost its luster for me; not seeing him pitch this year is gonna suck, but potentially not seeing him ever pitch again is just all sorts of balls. I always knew I was gonna dread the day he retired, but I wasn't expecting it to go down like this (if he does call it quits that is).

"Win 28 For Mo"
    I would like to add with Mariano throwing out the ceremonial first pitch of Game 7 at Yankee Stadium AND the Yankees taking #28 as you stated. Maybe, then MAYBE, I might be able to let this pass, a little.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    I don't think people are this upset because they think it means the season is over. I think it's because we may have just seen the last of an absolute icon. In almost all cases, I root for the uniform over the player, but I think Mariano is the one player where that's not the case.
    I feel the same way. Our sadness today isn't about the future of the team this season. Baseball's baseball, players get injured. It's much more than that; it's because it happened to THIS player and to THIS man. Because of the person we all know that he is, it feels more like a personal loss, not just an injury to a baseball player. I think most of us felt that Mo was going to retire after this season. Because of that, I've been savoring each of his appearances just a bit more and anticipated doing that all summer. Now I feel cheated and so, so disappointed. Today, the outcome of this season feels secondary.

Having experienced the loss of Thurman when he had so much baseball left to play puts this whole thing in perspective for me; it is sad but nowhere near as tragic. Mariano will still be around; in the clubhouse, at Old Timer's games and on that day he gets enshrined in Cooperstown and hopefully his records will be around for just as long. He just won't be a competitor on the field of dreams.

I hope he gets healthy, first for himself and his family and lastly for the team and his fans. We are owed nothing really, we were treated to an unbelievably long and successful career that was more than likely going to conclude at season's end. Sure we may get cheated seeing him rack up more saves or going out in style but who knows what will ultimately happen in the end. I hope he bounces back, if only to show us he can but I'm not holding out hope.

I had the pleasure of bumping into him many years ago in Baltimore. He was pure class and humble back then and it seems nothing has changed all of these years. Good luck Mariano and thanks no matter what happens.

dam the last time i felt like this is when my favorite formula 1 driver ayrton senna died.......and rivera didnt even die, but i thinks thats the last we have seen of him
    18 years and two days ago to that fateful day!

NYYF Cy Young

Even if he does retire because of this- I can almost guarantee this will not be the last we see of him. He'll definitely be at Spring Training, and I can really see him becoming the bullpen coach one day once his kids go to college and/or move out- he's got stretching and warming up down to a science. And he's always lightening the mood up in the clubhouse.

And just seeing him around - playing or not- will always make me smile, remembering how many amazing moments happened and memories were created with him on the mound.

Great post!!!

Have a great time at the Stadium!!!

Thread Information