+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    NYYF MVP

Re: May 2012 Minor League Thread

Brett Marshall 6 IP 2 H O R 1BB 4 SO

ERA at a respectable 3.27 after today's start at Trenton.

Overslot draft pick out of HS in 2008 for those who don't remember.

Still young at 22.

Wonder why they pulled him after 85 pitches though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Wonder why they pulled him after 85 pitches though.
    Yeah I came here to post about that too. I bet it's cause they don't want to hurt his arm. Kind of irks me if thats the case.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrusader View Post
    Brett Marshall 6 IP 2 H O R 1BB 4 SO

ERA at a respectable 3.27 after today's start at Trenton.

Overslot draft pick out of HS in 2008 for those who don't remember.

Still young at 22.
    He's the most intriguing pitcher at Trenton right now. I think he will be in the majors sometime in 13.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2 View Post
    Yeah I came here to post about that too. I bet it's cause they don't want to hurt his arm. Kind of irks me if thats the case.
    I asked Mike Ashmore on Twitter (thunder beat writer) & he said "nothing obvious" but will find out why after the game.

If he was pulled after 85 to save his arm in their minds, then that'd piss me off & really be babying.

Austin homered
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Austin homered
    Best news for me was Gumbs going 3 for 5 with 4 SBs

I asked Mike Ashmore on Twitter (thunder beat writer) & he said "nothing obvious" but will find out why after the game.

If he was pulled after 85 to save his arm in their minds, then that'd piss me off & really be babying.
    I agree. If you are conditioning pitchers to throw 85 pitches against AA teams that have perhaps one or two major league caliber hitters in their lineup, what does that translate to in the AL East?

Before he had TJ surgery, Marshall was throwing 95-96. Anyone know how hard he throws now? He was the 6th round pick the year they took Gerritt Cole number 1. I remember Marshall being heralded as the prize of their draft after they failed to sign Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I agree. If you are conditioning pitchers to throw 85 pitches against AA teams that have perhaps one or two major league caliber hitters in their lineup, what does that translate to in the AL East?
    Due to some pitching setbacks, I understand the popular opinion is that the Yankees are babying their pitchers. To a certain degree, I agree with that assertion. However, can we at least check on some things before assuming Marshall is being conditioned to just throw 85 pitches per game. I don't know why he was limited to 85 last night, but it could be for a logical reason that's not spelled out in the boxscore. If Marshall remains healthy for the rest of the season, he'll probably have 150-160 innings this season and will most likely have between 500-600 innings in the minor leagues before he makes his ML debut in 2013.

Marshall's previous three starts:

April 24th-95 pitches

April 29th-98 pitches

May 4th-95 pitches

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Due to some pitching setbacks, I understand the popular opinion is that the Yankees are babying their pitchers. To a certain degree, I agree with that assertion. However, can we at least check on some things before assuming Marshall is being conditioned to just throw 85 pitches per game. I don't know why he was limited to 85 last night, but it could be for a logical reason that's not spelled out in the boxscore. If Marshall remains healthy for the rest of the season, he'll probably have 150-160 innings this season and will most likely have between 500-600 innings in the minor leagues before he makes his ML debut in 2013.

Marshall's previous three starts:

April 24th-95 pitches

April 29th-98 pitches

May 4th-95 pitches
    I was just reading about Hellickson and Moore saying they think they're able to adjust well cause the Rays let them pitch. They've both thrown a lot of innings, now maybe they throw less pitches per inning, but it always seems like we take our guys out too early. Not just with Marshall either. I don't think 'babying' pitchers has really worked out well for us, might as well try something else. What have we got to lose... I mean Joba had TJS, Hughes kind of is a mess and none of our other big pitchers have had success here. Nova was never really considered a top prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2 View Post
    I was just reading about Hellickson and Moore saying they think they're able to adjust well cause the Rays let them pitch. They've both thrown a lot of innings, now maybe they throw less pitches per inning, but it always seems like we take our guys out too early. Not just with Marshall either. I don't think 'babying' pitchers has really worked out well for us, might as well try something else. What have we got to lose... I mean Joba had TJS, Hughes kind of is a mess and none of our other big pitchers have had success here. Nova was never really considered a top prospect.
    I don't think they're babying their pitchers like they did with Joba and Hughes. I think they're determine to make sure their starting pitching prospects have a lot more minor league innings than those two and Ian Kennedy did in 2007-2008.

I think amount of pitches thrown are supposed to be weighed heavily in those decisions and not just innings pitched. 85 pitches in 6 innings should be treated differently then 85 pitches over 4, for example.

They need to throw more so their mechanics become second nature to them and to maintain stamina to pitch longer.

I think amount of pitches thrown are supposed to be weighed heavily in those decisions and not just innings pitched. 85 pitches in 6 innings should be treated differently then 85 pitches over 4, for example.

They need to throw more so their mechanics become second nature to them and to maintain stamina to pitch longer.
    You don't think they do that?

I was responding to your post since we were talking pitch counts and you said its about letting them pitch more innings during the season.

I was responding to your post since we were talking pitch counts and you said its about letting them pitch more innings during the season.
    Again, do you think the Yankees account for how the pitches were thrown in addition to just innings pitched?

I'd like to assume they do.

I'd like to assume they do.
    Over the years in different interview sessions, we've heard Cashman and Girardi talk about pitching performances in which some were evaluated as much more stressful than others so I would think that's a good assumption.

I would think all clubs use some kind of weighted system in evaluating pitches thrown and such evaluations are a lot more intricate than my simple innings thrown assertion.

According to Josh Norris, Marshall was taken out just to give a couple of guys in the pen some work that hadn't pitched in a while

Heathcott tweeted that his first game back with Tampa is June 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Posada_20 View Post
    According to Josh Norris, Marshall was taken out just to give a couple of guys in the pen some work that hadn't pitched in a while
    Which is one of the logical reasons not spelled out in the boxscore.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoux101 View Post
    He just loses control. He is amazingly overpowering and misses spots by a lot often. Really, he seems to have such power, movement and deception he could almost throw the ball down the middle.

School of thought is that he is just one of those taller "randy johnson" type pitchers who have so many moving parts. He might just follow that type of path and develop later due to tuning and repeating his mechanics.

The other thought is that he will project to be a good bullpen guy due to lack of control.

NIce to see him show signs of improvement.
    Do pitchers commonly perform exercises where they go through the motions of pitching with the ball to develop muscle memory? I feel like Lincecum used to do that (scooping up a dollar on his follow through).

Richmond Virginians

What do you think Mason Williams' upside would be as a major leaguer?
    Matthew Eddy: In a perfect world Williams could be a perennial all-star center fielder, and he's ahead of the pace set by the last top Yankees center-field prospect, Austin Jackson. Don't expect Williams before late 2015, but expect him to be at worst a solid regular when he does arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by dpbddd99 View Post
    What do you think Mason Williams' upside would be as a major leaguer?
    Matthew Eddy: In a perfect world Williams could be a perennial all-star center fielder, and he's ahead of the pace set by the last top Yankees center-field prospect, Austin Jackson. Don't expect Williams before late 2015, but expect him to be at worst a solid regular when he does arrive.
    I think he'll be up before then if he remains healthy.

NYYF Legend

Saying that Williams will "at worst" be a solid regular is ridiculous at this point in time.

Thread Information