+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Is Roy Oswalt an option?

We're not going to make it to the all star break with our rotation at this rate. Even if Pettitte can still pitch, he can't make up for Hughes and Garcia.

His pricetag can't be that high? We really need someone to stop the bleeding. Thoughts?
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

Re: Is Roy Oswalt an option?

I say give Mitchell a chance first.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    I say give Mitchell a chance first.
    Mitchell's probably going to be a reliever.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Mitchell's probably going to be a reliever.
    He's projected to be a reliever. But I want to see what he can offer as a starter first.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    We're not going to make it to the all star break with our rotation at this rate. Even if Pettitte can still pitch, he can't make up for Hughes and Garcia.

His pricetag can't be that high? We really need someone to stop the bleeding. Thoughts?
    I think we'll be just fine. I expect improvement from our 1-3 SPs, and consider Andy an upgrade over Garcia. Hughes in the 5th starter spot isn't that bad.

My hope is that the Angels never put it together and shop Haren.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I think we'll be just fine. I expect improvement from our 1-3 SPs, and consider Andy an upgrade over Garcia. Hughes in the 5th starter spot isn't that bad.

My hope is that the Angels never put it together and shop Haren.
    Why not dream big and hope the Phillies stay sub - .500 also and that Hamels becomes available?
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Why not dream big and hope the Phillies stay sub - .500 also and that Hamels becomes available?
    I said a long time ago that that could happen.

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...=1#post7147410

It took longer than I expected, but a lot of the things I saw as possibilities have come to fruition. If the Phillies don't think they can resign Hamels, of course they will try to trade him.

Anyway, I never said it was likely, but still think it could happen.

Maybe a bit unrelated, but I'm curious if the Angels would have any interest in D-Rob (I love him, but I'm almost positive he could bring back more value than he's actually worth) or Soriano.

Addicted Member

If not Oswalt, i think we all agree we need to shop for somebody come all star weekend. And the way i see it, by that time andy will take freddy out of the lineup, and whoever else we could acquire would send phil to the pen, giving us a solid 5 for the second half of the season. Until then i'm comfortable with the rotation, granted andy gives us basically what we expect from him.
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

It took longer than I expected, but a lot of the things I saw as possibilities have come to fruition. If the Phillies don't think they can resign Hamels, of course they will try to trade him.

Anyway, I never said it was likely, but still think it could happen.

Maybe a bit unrelated, but I'm curious if the Angels would have any interest in D-Rob (I love him, but I'm almost positive he could bring back more value than he's actually worth) or Soriano.
    I think it could happen, but I think it's more likely they rebound, and I think the Phillies are playing for now -- so my guess is that they'd be more likely to keep Hamels if they are competitive. But we'll have to see what the season brings.

Funny -- I was wondering the same exact thing about D-Rob. It would take more than just him, but you'd think he has to appeal to them.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

And this is why we're all grateful that you're not the GM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    And this is why we're all grateful that you're not the GM.
    I must have missed the meeting where the other forumers nominated you as their collective proxy, bit I think you'll find I'm not alone in being open to trading D-Rob at the height of his value, especially when back-end relievers are consistently overvalued. In fact, look at the post directly above yours

Not patting myself on the back for thinking that the Phillies had a bunch of $$ locked up in some injury-prone players. I'm just hoping that leads to Hamels being shopped...but I'm not expecting it to.

NYYF Legend

I must have missed the meeting where the other forumers nominated you as their collective proxy, bit I think you'll find I'm not alone in being open to trading D-Rob at the height of his value, especially when back-end relievers are consistently overvalued. In fact, look at the post directly above yours

Not patting myself on the back for thinking that the Phillies had a bunch of $$ locked up in some injury-prone players. I'm just hoping that leads to Hamels being shopped...but I'm not expecting it to.
    I would hate to see the Yankees deal Robertson and I think that his value to the BP and the team as a whole, is under-rated.
    That being said, I would rather looked from within rather than look to a pitcher like Oswalt as a solution.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

D-Rob is too valuable to this team to trade right now. I'd like to see Cashman work on fixing the rotation in ways other than weakening the bullpen. Besides, he's the man once Mo decides to hang it up.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Cy Young

Who exactly are we trading to get Hamels anyway if he became available?

Let Pettitte and some youngsters pitch.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Let Pettitte and some youngsters pitch.
    I'm sure this is Plan A right now. But the question on Oswalt could be more valid is Hughes continues to struggle and Phelps/Mitchell don't take advanatge of this opportunity.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    Who exactly are we trading to get Hamels anyway if he became available?
    No idea, although I'm guessing the package would have to be similar to the one the Brewers gave up to acquire CC, which was LaPorta and some underwhelming guys I don't remember. I think for us to be players (in this hypothetical of a hypothetical), we'd have to give up someone from the MLB roster.

I was opposed to the Montero for Lee deal (and I don't see this as much different) so I wouldn't give up a lot for a rental unless there was an extension. But I could see them being interested in Gardner or Nova as starting points. Cheap + fills a need. Maybe?

Anyway, I don't think anything specific is going to happen - this is just fun to talk about. And lately there always seems to be a good chance of an elite starter being available at the deadline - CC, Halladay, Lee, Haren, Oswalt.

No idea, although I'm guessing the package would have to be similar to the one the Brewers gave up to acquire CC, which was LaPorta and some underwhelming guys I don't remember. I think for us to be players (in this hypothetical of a hypothetical), we'd have to give up someone from the MLB roster.

I was opposed to the Montero for Lee deal (and I don't see this as much different) so I wouldn't give up a lot for a rental unless there was an extension. But I could see them being interested in Gardner or Nova as starting points. Cheap + fills a need. Maybe?

Anyway, I don't think anything specific is going to happen - this is just fun to talk about. And lately there always seems to be a good chance of an elite starter being available at the deadline - CC, Halladay, Lee, Haren, Oswalt.
    I know they would normally never send him to the Yankees, but if he is healthy, this year may be the Mets chance to get out from the Santana contract and use that freed up money to try and keep Wright

Unless the Mets think they will contend in 2013, they could clear 30 million due to him in 2013 (25 mil plus a 5 mil buyout for 2014) if there is a desperate deep pocket team willing to pick him up.

NYYF Legend

I wouldn't give up Nova for Hamels. Nova has a hell of a better upside than does Cole IMHO

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

I would only sign Oswalt if Pettitte, Mitchell & Phelps all flounder. Let Phelps & Mitchell get a real shot at winning the SP job like the yanks did with Nova. All we hear about is how deep the yanks are in minor league SP's lets finally see it.

NYYF Legend

Oswalt isnt really an option, I mean he'd need 1 month of spring training so if he were to sign now, he'd need to get stretched out facing live batters for a few starts, wouldnt be ready til June.
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    I wouldn't give up Nova for Hamels. Nova has a hell of a better upside than does Cole IMHO

Andy
    Don't worry about that trade. Nova is a lot cheaper. Cashman is not going to give up a relatively cheap effective member of the rotation.

I must have missed the meeting where the other forumers nominated you as their collective proxy, bit I think you'll find I'm not alone in being open to trading D-Rob at the height of his value, especially when back-end relievers are consistently overvalued. In fact, look at the post directly above yours.
    Hi!

Going back to the beginning of 2011, Robertson is the second-most valuable reliever in baseball (behind Eric O'Flaherty, who'd have thought). I don't think that trading him now is a good option.

Furthermore, on the subject of Roy Oswalt, it's probably worth seeing what Phelps can provide before the team starts spending money on someone like Oswalt, who was only slightly above-average in the NL east last year, and whose velocity has declined precipitously over the past few seasons. If Phelps and Pettitte can hold down the back of the rotation, they'll be in excellent shape.

Have a great day!

NYYF Legend

Andy
    Nova is cheaper but how does he have more upside than Hamels?
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Andy
    What in the world? It's not even debatable that Hamels is better and has more upside than Nova. I can't even believe I just read that.

Thread Information