+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    NYYF MVP

Re: Daily News - John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman aren't going anywhere

{ducking}

I'm in the minority on here as well. I'm not in NY and still gotta have my games on the Radio (stuck in the 20th Century. )
    At first couldn't stand Suzyn but she doesn't bother me now.

Still have some memorable calls of his from the '90s on cassettes somewhere so I'll always have a soft-spot. Sorry to the fans who dislike him. White Sox fans can certainly symphasize, as well as Phillies' regarding the guy who replaced Harry Kalas (although I've never heard him and don't intend to.)

All I know is, wanna rip my eardrums out whenever a relative puts a nationally televised (Faux-ESPN) game of any team on. I'd take The Hawk over those people. {still ducking}
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    I have never heard anybody say anything good about Harrelson. With all the complaints that fans have, any idea why he is still in the booth? I know there has to be someone who can replace him.

There's even a website http://www.heavethehawk.com/
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

Best news I've heard all year.

Yankee baseball would not be the same without John Sterling.

Waldman I can take or leave but she's grown on me.

I heard the Cardinals over the weekend, and we may complain, but they are no better.

Every fly ball hit, Mike Shannon just says, GIT UP GIT UP GIT UP. No description whatsoever. Fine for TV, radio, not so much

And at least we arenot the Dodgers radio, you get Vin Scully for 3 innings, then like a tease, off he goes to TV only and in comes Charlie Steiner

NYYF MVP

Gotta mention something that I appreciate -- they replay the last out, as Mo gets the saves, on the postgame highlight shows. (Great for sentimental saps like me who like to record such things sometimes.)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post
    And at least we arenot the Dodgers radio, you get Vin Scully for 3 innings, then like a tease, off he goes to TV only and in comes Charlie Steiner
    ...whew! That was close. Thought you were going to rag on Vin Scully for a second.

I don't think Steiner is that bad....but, following Vin Scully is a hard act.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by scine20 View Post

Your youth is showing.

If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by scine20 View Post
    Yes, you are spot on. Things would not be the same. They wouldn't suck to proportions I can't even compare.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post
    I heard the Cardinals over the weekend, and we may complain, but they are no better.

Every fly ball hit, Mike Shannon just says, GIT UP GIT UP GIT UP. No description whatsoever. Fine for TV, radio, not so much

Scully may be na institution and he has a great voice. But he's been living off his rep for about 4 decades and the Dodgers are scared to death to get rid of him nor insist he take a partner.Stienr doesn't usually work with Scully, they alternate innings.The S__strom that would ensue if the Dodgers tried to shake things up is something they simply are putting off until the permanent senility sets in or Scully goes on to his eternal reward. Everyone talks about how great Scully is, but basically he's big fake anouncer voice guy trying to weave his crappy stories into the game just like Sterling. Scully is over 80,and yet he still dyes his hair. There's more than a bit of ego there.

Recall he was dumped from NBC after the 1986 Series because he insisted on saying "Billy Bucks" 45 times an inning. The legend has become the truth, so print the legend that Scully is this great broadcaster. Reality is he is no better nor worse than most.
    pitching, pitching and pitching

Last night I was driving home from my sons little league game. I get in my car put on 880 after the game. The field is @ 5min drive from my house. It took about 3min for Sterling to mention the score. I had no clue what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    Not saying Sterling is good at his job, merely that he at least is pleasant.But the sponsorship of everything in a game is not new and every team and broadcast does it. Red Barber, Mel Allen, Russ Hodges and Lindsay Nelson did it too.It wasn't over the top like now, but such in game ads were common back then.

Waldman-uh.... The word NAGGING comes to mind. If you paired Srterling with a decent retired player or another professional broadcaster may be he would have no choice but to focus on the game more. With Waldman it's very easy to disregard her because no one respects nor much likes here.
    I understand the sponsorship part, it seems that since the Yanks moved across the street there are a ton of more ingame commercials. Sterling cant shut the hell up and let the game breathe for a second. Waldman is useless.

NYYF Legend

Scully may be na institution and he has a great voice. But he's been living off his rep for about 4 decades and the Dodgers are scared to death to get rid of him nor insist he take a partner.Stienr doesn't usually work with Scully, they alternate innings.The S__strom that would ensue if the Dodgers tried to shake things up is something they simply are putting off until the permanent senility sets in or Scully goes on to his eternal reward. Everyone talks about how great Scully is, but basically he's big fake anouncer voice guy trying to weave his crappy stories into the game just like Sterling. Scully is over 80,and yet he still dyes his hair. There's more than a bit of ego there.

Recall he was dumped from NBC after the 1986 Series because he insisted on saying "Billy Bucks" 45 times an inning. The legend has become the truth, so print the legend that Scully is this great broadcaster. Reality is he is no better nor worse than most.
    Well, everybody is entitled to their opinion. I'd rather listen to Vin Scully than probably 95% of the broadcasters out there. He's prepared, professional and understands his job is to let the game, not his call, be the highlight.

Looks like you're trying to create your own "legend":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_World_Series

(ABC had the 1987 World Series. So Scully got the next Series NBC had a chance to show.)

I still hear Scully sometimes on MLB Gameday Audio and even past his prime he's still so much better than Sterling it hurts. And attacking him on the basis of "ego" while simultaneously defending Sterling is hilarious - there's not enough Windex in the world to clean that glass house.
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post

And yet, you'd never know he had ties to the Dodgers during the 1988 broadcast. His call of Gibson's HR is arguably just as good if not better than Jack Buck's.

At 2:34

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=3364800

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post

(ABC had the 1987 World Series. So Scully got the next Series NBC had a chance to show.)

I still hear Scully sometimes on MLB Gameday Audio and even past his prime he's still so much better than Sterling it hurts. And attacking him on the basis of "ego" while simultaneously defending Sterling is hilarious - there's not enough Windex in the world to clean that glass house.
    Not defending Sterling. Merely noting despite a great voice Scully is basically Joe Buck plus 5 decades minus the nepotism. When he was no NBC he beat his beloved storylines to death-bland nothingness tryingthat whole big story approach to every game.BILLY BUCKS, BILLY BUCKS, BILLY BUCKS. Please. There's nothing conversational about it, and over the course of a season that gets really tough to take.It's baseball, not some Greek epic poem. Because Scully is a baseball institution doesn't mean he's great every game, or even good any more. Harry Caray wasn't so wonderful as a broadcaster, but again because he was an institution he was deified in Chicago.

Opinions are like...body parts, so I admit this is subjective. Most of the time I happen upon Scully on Sirius he's boring. Would rather listen to anyone on YEs, or any of the Mets' broadcast teams. Because a. they are having a coversation and b. they tell you what's happening.It's a long season, it needs to breathe a bit. And Scully works by himself because that's the way he wants it. He wants nothing to do with talking to someone else and he likes that high and mighty act.

Again, Sterling with Kay was a pretty good listen-conversational, 2 guys taking about the game. Not so much with Steiner (apparently they did not like each other and it showed)and he's became weaker with Waldman. Nor because he's carrying her, but because she's awful and not about to assert herself. And you feel like he's doing his own thing and she does whatever.
    pitching, pitching and pitching

Not defending Sterling. Merely noting despite a great voice Scully is basically Joe Buck plus 5 decades minus the nepotism. When he was no NBC he beat his beloved storylines to death-bland nothingness tryingthat whole big story approach to every game.BILLY BUCKS, BILLY BUCKS, BILLY BUCKS. Please. There's nothing conversational about it, and over the course of a season that gets really tough to take.It's baseball, not some Greek epic poem. Because Scully is a baseball institution doesn't mean he's great every game, or even good any more. Harry Caray wasn't so wonderful as a broadcaster, but again because he was an institution he was deified in Chicago.

Opinions are like...body parts, so I admit this is subjective. Most of the time I happen upon Scully on Sirius he's boring. Would rather listen to anyone on YEs, or any of the Mets' broadcast teams. Because a. they are having a coversation and b. they tell you what's happening.It's a long season, it needs to breathe a bit. And Scully works by himself because that's the way he wants it. He wants nothing to do with talking to someone else and he likes that high and mighty act.

Again, Sterling with Kay was a pretty good listen-conversational, 2 guys taking about the game. Not so much with Steiner (apparently they did not like each other and it showed)and he's became weaker with Waldman. Nor because he's carrying her, but because she's awful and not about to assert herself. And you feel like he's doing his own thing and she does whatever.
    Sterling's biggest problem is he has become a cartoon. Listen to the Yankee classics, from the late 90's, with Kay his voice is not as high, he is more analytical, and not every home run or win was treated like Game 7 of the World Series. He was decent back then and had some flair

Now he is in his own world, Suzyn pretty much reads the scoreboard, reads the ads, and grunts when things are not going well. The fact that she bails in the 9th inning shows who is in control of the booth

We can agree to disagree about Scully, but you are 100% right about Harry Carey, his claim to fame was drinking Budweisers in the bleachers during a broadcast and doing games drunk; it may have been funny, but also very unprofessional.

Two men on last night, "the yanks have a Rally, you too can drive a Ralley, go to Ralley BMW..." Since the Yanks moved to the new place every single part and every part of the game is sponsored.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    Two men on last night, "the yanks have a Rally, you too can drive a Ralley, go to Ralley BMW..." Since the Yanks moved to the new place every single part and every part of the game is sponsored.
    Is that the Yankees or WCBS trying to make up the money they are losing? If it is the latter, that could improve next year once they are off of 880.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
    Is that the Yankees or WCBS trying to make up the money they are losing? If it is the latter, that could improve next year once they are off of 880.
    No idea, but it is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
    Radio stations make money by selling advertising.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Devoted Member

I was in college in 1996 in a non Yankee radio network town, so I taped the 9th inning of Game 6 vs. the Braves on the radio using the national broadcast, which was Vin Scully. Since that was my first championship it's one of my most cherished possessions. I'm a big Scully fan so that made it even better for me. On the flip side I'm a Syracuse fan and when I hear the local radio call from the 2003 title I cringe since it's done a real jackass named Mark Johnson.
    "The saddest thing in life is wasted talent"

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Radio stations make money by selling advertising.
    That's the general idea. Although some stations lease the time and pass the buck to whoever leased the time from them.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

You cannot blame the ads on the announcers. The station needs to make up for the rights fees, and the Yankees want to maximize rights fees so they allow it.

It's only going to get worse in the new deal, ESPN is a master of promotion if they win the rights, and CBS will have to increase the fees to keep the team, which means more billboards

I think they should take a cue from the Jets. Like "Co-QB's", have "co-announcers"... John gets any play within the infield, the co-announcer gets any ball beyond the bases (disclaimer: tongue firmly in cheek )
    Last edited by RogerNatural; 05-03-12 at 06:53 PM. Reason: disclaimer
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RogerNatural View Post
    I think they should take a cue from the Jets. Like "Co-QB's", have "co-announcers"... John gets any play within the infield, the co-announcer gets any ball beyond the bases (disclaimer: tongue firmly in cheek )
    Problem is, with his lack of depth perception the co announcer would never get a word in edgewise. John would think a pop up to Martin would be high......and far.....

Thread Information