+ Reply to Thread

Angels Release Bobby Abreu

Bryan Hoch ‏ @BryanHoch Reply Retweet Favorite Open
    The Angels have released Bobby Abreu, whom the Yankees tried to trade A.J. Burnett for this winter.
    I'll post an official link when I find one.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF Triple Crown

Re: Angels Release Bobby Abreu

I was a fan of him as a Yankee. Solid RFer, great patience at the plate, very good baserunner.

This is probably the end of the line for him in MLB, kind of a sad ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post
    I was a fan of him as a Yankee. Solid RFer, great patience at the plate, very good baserunner.

Really? He lost power last year, but still had the good eye (.350 OBP) and stole 21 bases while only getting caught 5 times.

I'd be mildly interested in giving him a shot. I think he'd like the short porch, and may be an upgrade if Ibanez tanks. Maybe that's nostalgia talking. I liked him too.

Well, his defensive play was poor for the Angels before they switched him to full time DH last season, and his offensive numbers have been in a steady decline the last 3 years or so. He's still got a great eye at the plate, but I don't know how much he can do with the pitches he sees anymore, don't think there's much juice left in his bat.

I'd like to see him catch on with another team, but he's in that group of guys with Damon, Matsui (who both found a home), Vlad and Magglio (who haven't yet) who are just hanging on at the end of great careers.

Ibanez has (somewhat surprisingly to me) hit well for us so far. I wouldn't trade him for Abreu right now.

NYYF Cy Young

He had a great career. I always liked Bobby. Best of luck to him finding a job elsewhere.
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

Happy Thanksgiving to all! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Really? He lost power last year, but still had the good eye (.350 OBP) and stole 21 bases while only getting caught 5 times.

I'd be mildly interested in giving him a shot. I think he'd like the short porch, and may be an upgrade if Ibanez tanks. Maybe that's nostalgia talking. I liked him too.
    If i have to watch him in the OF for the yankees for even one more game, someone may get hurt. I'm mostly kidding.
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post

yea a NL time might take him as a PH bat off the bench later in the year, but his career is basically done. All full time DH jobs are taken
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Cy Young

Great career for Abreu, always liked him. I could see a potential Philly reunion for him.

NYYF Legend

Something had to give. They couldn't keep Trumbo on the bench and Trout in AAA for much longer.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Yeah, Bobby's gonna be a good pickup for somebody.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Always been a Bobby Abreu fan. Best of luck to him.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Something had to give. They couldn't keep Trumbo on the bench and Trout in AAA for much longer.
    the "something" should've been Wells
    like delv, but better

NYYF Legend

I like Abreu and hope he can maybe catch on with another team this year and then call it quits. He's at the end of his career and I'd like to see him retire on his own terms.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Thread Information