+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Re: Bryce Harper called up

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    The series right now looks to be Zimmermann/Pettitte on Friday, Jackson/Nova on Saturday, and Wang/CC on Sunday. Glad we'll be missing Strasburg, Jackson and Wang shouldn't give us problems, but Zimmermann is tough.
    There is an offday on Thursday. Nova pitches Monday, CC on Tuesday and Kuroda on Wednesay followed by Hughes, Pettitte and Nova again, against the Nationals.
    Poor ownership can hold a baseball team down for years!

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    Morse's return is so unbelievably huge. And since he has been back in the lineup they are 7-2.

Adding a .300 30 HR bat is a big deal, and his not being there for the whole season is a big part of their offensive woes. He hasn't really gotten going yet obviously, but you can see that he has had an impact by providing some protection for LaRoche.
    They've gone 5-2 with Morse in the lineup. And in the 7 games Morse has played, he's hit .214/.290/.321. Meanwhile, they only allowed 21 runs over those 7 games. They've continued to win because they've continued to pitch well.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    They've gone 5-2 with Morse in the lineup. And in the 7 games Morse has played, he's hit .214/.290/.321. Meanwhile, they only allowed 21 runs over those 7 games. They've continued to win because they've continued to pitch well.
    Yeah I brain farted and mean to say 5 out of 7.

But they are scoring 4.5 runs a game since Morse came back, which is enough for them to win.

I am not really sure what we are arguing about. I haven't called them an offensive powerhouse or anything. I do think Morse is going to have a big impact especially once he gets going, he is a .300 30 HR threat.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

I was under the impression that you were insinuating that part of the Nats' success was due to their offensive versatility. I disagree, and I think that their success is almost entirely due to their outstanding pitching staff. I also don't think that Morse has contributed anything since his return, since he's a poor defensive 1B/LF who isn't hitting. If he goes back to hitting like he did last year, he'll obviously be much more valuable (though an outfield of Morse, Harper, and Werth would be so bad on defense).

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    There is an offday on Thursday. Nova pitches Monday, CC on Tuesday and Kuroda on Wednesay followed by Hughes, Pettitte and Nova again, against the Nationals.
    I'll be at the games on Friday and Saturday. As much as I'd like to watch Strasburg in person, I do not want to see him on the mound this weekend. Gonzalez is almost as much of a threat to shutdown a line-up as Strasburg.

The Nats just swept the Sox at Fenway - something that didn't seem possible not that long ago. This could be very interesting, if not nerve wracking.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    I'll be at the games on Friday and Saturday. As much as I'd like to watch Strasburg in person, I do not want to see him on the mound this weekend. Gonzalez is almost as much of a threat to shutdown a line-up as Strasburg.

The Nats just swept the Sox at Fenway - something that didn't seem possible not that long ago. This could be very interesting, if not nerve wracking.
    Yeah, i have mixed feelings. I'd love to see Strasburg in person, but I'm happy the Yankees don't face him.

NYYF Legend

I think all of the advanced metrics would break if Harper was still a catcher.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I think he'd do less damage there than in CF.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    This is such an awesome quote, Snatch, hahaha. If I was a Nationals fan, It'd be my signature.
    [FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#000000][quote=JavyVazquezIsSick]Our rotation is dope.[/quote][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][/COLOR][/FONT]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    I'll be at the games on Friday and Saturday.
    Enjoy!
    As much as I'd like to watch Strasburg in person, I do not want to see him on the mound this weekend.
    I share this sentiment.

Gonzalez is almost as much of a threat to shutdown a line-up as Strasburg.
    Kind of a mixed bag missing Gio. He's been one of the best pitchers in baseball this year but historically the Yanks have knocked him around. 7.27 ERA over 26 IP against the bombers.

I don't believe the Nats had ever won in Fenway. Sweet seeing them get the sweep.

Oh and that Harper kid is pretty darn good.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Kind of a mixed bag missing Gio. He's been one of the best pitchers in baseball this year but historically the Yanks have knocked him around. 7.27 ERA over 26 IP against the bombers.
    My sentiments as well. I could see the Yankees handling Gio and then getting shut down by Jordan Zimmerman. They just seem to always struggle against pitchers who they've never seen before.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

I was under the impression that you were insinuating that part of the Nats' success was due to their offensive versatility. I disagree, and I think that their success is almost entirely due to their outstanding pitching staff. I also don't think that Morse has contributed anything since his return, since he's a poor defensive 1B/LF who isn't hitting. If he goes back to hitting like he did last year, he'll obviously be much more valuable (though an outfield of Morse, Harper, and Werth would be so bad on defense).
    Morse just isn't hitting yet and probably came back a tad early just to help the lineup out, he is however providing some protection for Laroche who has 3 HRs since Morse has returned.

What I said was the Nats seem to find a way to score runs when they need to and I stand by that.

I do think though that once Werth returns (and if Wilson Ramos ever comes back) that a lineup with Harper, Morse, Werth in the outfield, Zimmerman, Desmond, Espinosa, Laroche and Ramos in the infield will score some runs.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

NYYF Legend

meh

We take 2 of 3.
    "Well guess what? He's dead. You just signed a dead guy." --pleasepassthesoup

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    My sentiments as well. I could see the Yankees handling Gio and then getting shut down by Jordan Zimmerman. They just seem to always struggle against pitchers who they've never seen before.
    According to Elias, the Yankees are 23-9 over the past two seasons in games in which they are opposed by a starting pitcher who they are facing for the first time. That includes a 6-4 mark this season, winning their last three.
    If Zimmerman beats the Yankees it will probably have more to do with the fact that he is a very good pitcher then the fact that the Yankees are seeing him for the first time.

NYYF Cy Young

Zimmermann might be one of the most underrated pitchers in baseball. He does like to give up the longball though.

NYYF Legend

Mr. Bautista took Harper to school last night - never make the first out going first to third. This kid is fearless, however. What a blast to watch him play.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index..._away&c_id=was

Bautista got Harper back in the fifth inning, however, as he tossed him out from right field as Harper tried to go first to third. Harper drew a lot of contact with Blue Jays third baseman Brett Lawrie as he slid into the base, and joked about it after the game.

"I was like, 'Crap, I hope I didn't [tick] him off.' He's a big boy, I don't want to [tick] him off," Harper said about Lawrie. "Bautista, of course, made a friggin' heck of a throw. I didn't want to run [Lawrie] over or anything like that, so I was trying to slide and avoid it, and he got me. Got to tip my cap."
    There's something funny about a 19 year old kid calling a veteran "a big boy".
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF MVP

Brett Lawrie is 22.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrusader View Post
    If Zimmerman beats the Yankees it will probably have more to do with the fact that he is a very good pitcher then the fact that the Yankees are seeing him for the first time.
    True, he is having a very good season (and yes, I am aware that he was a first round draft pick just a few years ago so it's not some career minor league journeyman we're talking about). That said, the fact that the Yankees have never seen him won't help matters though.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    True, he is having a very good season (and yes, I am aware that he was a first round draft pick just a few years ago so it's not some career minor league journeyman we're talking about). That said, the fact that the Yankees have never seen him won't help matters though.
    Did you miss this:
    According to Elias, the Yankees are 23-9 over the past two seasons in games in which they are opposed by a starting pitcher who they are facing for the first time.
    ?

It's highly unlikely we'll ever see two players drafted back-to-back by one team that are as hyped and legit as Strasburg and Harper. Hopefully we nab one of them in FA.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    It's highly unlikely we'll ever see two players drafted back-to-back by one team that are as hyped and legit as Strasburg and Harper. Hopefully we nab one of them in FA.
    Agreed. If I'm with the Nationals, I'm trying to pull a Longoria with Harper on a long-term contract right now.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

Did you miss this: ?
    Clearly I didn't. Another myth busted. Funny how perception and reality so often conflict with one another.

Faith is a funny thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Agreed. If I'm with the Nationals, I'm trying to pull a Longoria with Harper on a long-term contract right now.
    Considering what this kid and his family have done so far to maximize his career value, do you think they would accept a Longoria type deal?

Quote Originally Posted by mhmajp View Post
    Considering what this kid and his family have done so far to maximize his career value, do you think they would accept a Longoria type deal?
    These are my thoughts.
    I'm thinking agents like horse-a$$... I mean - Boras, aren't going to allow their clients to cave to the dangling carrot.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mhmajp View Post
    Fair point. I'd still try though. It's a decent sized market, and he's the kind of guy you'd want to have past his six years, given his age.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Thread Information