+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    NYYF MVP

Bryce Harper called up

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Outfielder Bryce Harper -- the No. 2 prospect in baseball, according to MLB.com -- will be called up from Triple-A Syracuse on Saturday to make his Major League debut for the Nationals at Dodger Stadium, according to the Nationals' public relations Twitter account.

The transaction will complement the club's placement of third baseman Ryan Zimmerman on the 15-day disabled list.

Re: Bryce Harper called up

hmm, curious to see how he does
    always reasonable

I am psyched for this.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Interesting timing when he really hasn't done anything in the minors yet

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=harper002bry

If he struggles badly in the majors do they send him back down? I'd think he'd be the kind of guy that once you call him up he's up for good.

NYYF Cy Young

His overall numbers aren't impressive but the timing's not that bad, he's on a pretty good run right now with an .840 OPS in his last 10 games played...so he isn't in TOO bad of a funk right now, super anxious to see this guy play.

NYYF Legend

Who is the #1 prospect?
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

i really dont get this. it looks like he should still be in AA. he has shown almost no power above the Sally league

NYYF MVP

They'll probably send him back down once Zimmerman comes off the DL. With him and Morse on the shelf, it doesn't hurt to give the kid a taste.

Off To Never Never Land Mr.Muhozi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Who is the #1 prospect?
    I wondered this until I remembered it was Matt Moore.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post
    They'll probably send him back down once Zimmerman comes off the DL. With him and Morse on the shelf, it doesn't hurt to give the kid a taste.
    If he hits he is not going down.

Rizzo was quoted saying something similar.

I would say if he puts up representable stats with glimpses of being very good he stays up when you take this into account...

Mark Zuckerman ‏ @MarkZuckerman
    Mentioned this earlier today, but really apropos now: #Nats left fielders are hitting a collective .097 this season. Harper can't be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    i really dont get this. it looks like he should still be in AA. he has shown almost no power above the Sally league
    He showed power in the Arizona Fall League.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Rooting against him, Darvish and that Mariners' DH so all player threads on a Yankees' site can actually be about Yankees.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    He showed power in the Arizona Fall League.
    i cant put any type of stock in what happens in the AFL. put it this way, the best team ERA in that league was 5.04

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post
    I wondered this until I remembered it was Matt Moore.
    Thanks.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Rooting against him, Darvish and that Mariners' DH so all player threads on a Yankees' site can actually be about Yankees.
    I'm rooting against Harper because he is by most accounts a supreme douchebag.

NYYF MVP

I would put rooting for a 19 year old to fail a peg above being supposedly douchey.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    You realize what sub-section of the forums this is, yea?

NYYF Legend

I'm rooting against Harper because he is by most accounts a supreme douchebag.
    does the fact that he's a diehard yankee fan at heart and has expressed at numerous points a desire to play for the yankees change anything for you?

i'm hoping they play him and get his arbitration clock going... all the more earlier he reaches free agnecy
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrusader View Post
    I would put rooting for a 19 year old to fail a peg above being supposedly douchey.
    A touch sensitive, are we? I'm not actually rooting for him to "fail" but a little humilility wouldn't hurt him.

Released Outright

Yeah, personally I hope he turns out to be a success and then we sign him when he becomes a free agent.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    does the fact that he's a diehard yankee fan at heart and has expressed at numerous points a desire to play for the yankees change anything for you?

i'm hoping they play him and get his arbitration clock going... all the more earlier he reaches free agnecy
    See my last post. I was exaggerating when i said i was "rooting against him". It won't bother me one bit if he is as good as the hype, but I just think the kid needs to learn a little humility. He's accomplished absolutely nothing at the MLB level yet he already sports a Pedro Martinez-like attitude.

NYYF MVP

A touch sensitive, are we? I'm not actually rooting for him to "fail" but a little humilility wouldn't hurt him.
    You said "I'm rooting against Harper...."

I mean you said what you said I took you for what you said don't turn this on me as if I somehow misunderstood you because you backtracked and said you were "exaggerating."

When someone says "I am rooting against X" that is a pretty straight forward statement.

Not sensitive at all.

Took the same emotional state to type out what I said as it took for you to type out what you said.

NYYF Legend

if there's anyone to blame, it's the media... SI cover at age 16, every major sporting outlet touting his baseball deity... how do you expect a 19 year old NOT to be a little cocky?

you're right in that he hasn't proven anything at the ML level, but he's just way too talented for him not to, and i'm sure he's aware of this too... but it's not his fault that everyone is on his balls about it
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF MVP

That's all the guy is cocky and confident in his ability.

Save strong dislike or even hate for those of you who actually delve into that in that context of sports for people who actually deserve it.

Harper seems like a chill dude who is extremely confident in his ability if you ask me

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...y_20203093&v=3

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    if there's anyone to blame, it's the media... SI cover at age 16, every major sporting outlet touting his baseball deity... how do you expect a 19 year old NOT to be a little cocky?

you're right in that he hasn't proven anything at the ML level, but he's just way too talented for him not to, and i'm sure he's aware of this too... but it's not his fault that everyone is on his balls about it
    I don't know, the crap his parents pulled around getting him out of HS earlier plays into this as well -- I think that says something about where their priorities were.

That said, I don't root for random kids to fail. I think it's always exciting when one of these phenoms succeed. I just question whether he's ready, given what he's done in AA and AAA.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Thread Information