+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Michael Pineda Out for @012 With Labrum Tear

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...houlder-injury

Being Reported by ESPN, that Pineda is out for 2012 with a right shoulder anterior labral tear, surgery sheduled for 2012.

Re: Michael Pineda Out for @012 With Labrum Tear

Just to clarify the situation, the MRI revealed no damage to the rotator cuff ... I repeat, no damage to the rotator cuff ... its strictly the labrum tear that has to be fixed and thats why they are optimistic about his recovery.

That said, I know less than nothing about this injury or its long term prognosis, but I have one question for the posters who do ...

What does this mean for his velocity?

Is there any chance he can regain the mid to high 90's fastball he had in Seattle, will he ever sit in the mid 90's again, or is that gone forever?
    Last edited by Battingly; 04-25-12 at 06:21 PM.

NYYF MVP

Clemens, Schilling and Carpenter all came back from torn labrums. The list of guys who weren't able to come back is longer.

Send him to Colon's doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post
    Clemens, Schilling and Carpenter all came back from torn labrums. The list of guys who weren't able to come back is longer.

Send him to Colon's doctor.
    Thanks comic, thats encouraging, just to know that some guys have bounced back with their v-lo, but let me ask you a question about the list of players who didn't ... do you think most of them had rotator cuff injuries as well, labrum and RC, which I think is fairly common when one or the other is torn?
    Last edited by Battingly; 04-25-12 at 06:22 PM.

While I am by no means anything close to a professional athlete who has to perform at such high levels and throw 90+ mph fastballs, I did have surgery this past summer to repair a torn labrum without rotator cuff damage and from what I understand, the prognosis is pretty positive. Its a long recovery process but now my surgically repaired shoulder is actually stronger than the non-injured shoulder, so hopefully Pineda can make a similar recovery! I look forward to seeing what he can give us next year.

And to answer your question Battingly, yes labrum and RC injures often occur together or from one having to compensate for the other, so I would assume a large proportion of the pitchers did indeed injure both. It's a blessing that Pineda only tore is labrum and not his rotator.

bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabu View Post

While I am by no means anything close to a professional athlete who has to perform at such high levels and throw 90+ mph fastballs, I did have surgery this past summer to repair a torn labrum without rotator cuff damage and from what I understand, the prognosis is pretty positive. Its a long recovery process but now my surgically repaired shoulder is actually stronger than the non-injured shoulder, so hopefully Pineda can make a similar recovery! I look forward to seeing what he can give us next year.

And to answer your question Battingly, yes labrum and RC injures often occur together or from one having to compensate for the other, so I would assume a large proportion of the pitchers did indeed injure both. It's a blessing that Pineda only tore is labrum and not his rotator.
    Thanks for this post, Dabu, it was very informative and helpful ... and encouraging.

NYYF Legend

Brian Cashman has officially made his worst trade ever. This is a huge kick in the balls.

I HATE trading hitting for young pitching. Young pitchers just wind up getting hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Brian Cashman has officially made his worst trade ever. This is a huge kick in the balls.

I HATE trading hitting for young pitching. Young pitchers just wind up getting hurt.
    If all of them got hurt there would be no young pitchers...no young pitchers winning Cy Young awards either.
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraYanks2527 View Post
    If all of them got hurt there would be no young pitchers...no young pitchers winning Cy Young awards either.
    And if significantly fewer of them got hurt it would make sense to trade young hitting for young pitching, which I'm sure was his point.

Yikes.

Thank the good Lord for Andrew Eugene Pettitte, eh'?

Released Outright

I have confidence that the trade will still work out for both teams in the long run. Pineda will come back stronger than ever in 2013.

NYYF Cy Young

Awesome.
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

I thought things like this only happen on the METS
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

Just bad luck. The Mariners didnt know of Pinedas arm issue and cashman still made a good trade IMO. Like a previous poster stated plenty of pitchers have come back from this stronger than before they were hurt

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Very depressing new.
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald City Yankee View Post
    Just bad luck. The Mariners didnt know of Pinedas arm issue and cashman still made a good trade IMO. Like a previous poster stated plenty of pitchers have come back from this stronger than before they were hurt
    What has to happen for it to be a bad trade?

Quote Originally Posted by BennyTheJetRodriguez View Post
    What has to happen for it to be a bad trade?
    I think what he meant was that given what was known at the time of the trade, it is one that you do every time. Of course with hindsight you don't make the trade if you know he is going to get injured, and that makes it a bad trade now, but at the time it was a great trade and thus Cashman shouldn't really be demonized for making it.

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    I have confidence that the trade will still work out for both teams in the long run. Pineda will come back stronger than ever in 2013.
    This Seattle fan hopes you're right ... I wish Michael Pineda a full recovery.

To add a little salt into the wound. Montero is 3-5 with 2 rbi's tonight.....

Cashman needs to be kicked in the balls.....
    In the Kingdom of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King........

Quote Originally Posted by Dabu View Post
    I think what he meant was that given what was known at the time of the trade, it is one that you do every time. Of course with hindsight you don't make the trade if you know he is going to get injured, and that makes it a bad trade now, but at the time it was a great trade and thus Cashman shouldn't really be demonized for making it.
    I don't think Cashman should be demoralized either, but can we stop with the hindsight stuff. Young pitchers get hurt. Jesus Montero is a very, very good hitter. If Montero vs Pineda was such a slam dunk, then The Yankees would have got a pitcher who touches close to 100 mph thrown in with Pineda.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Boss View Post
    To add a little salt into the wound. Montero is 3-5 with 2 rbi's tonight.....

Cashman needs to be kicked in the balls.....
    He also caught his fifth game of the year tonight.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BennyTheJetRodriguez View Post
    I don't think Cashman should be demoralized either, but can we stop with the hindsight stuff. Young pitchers get hurt. Jesus Montero is a very, very good hitter. If Montero vs Pineda was such a slam dunk, then The Yankees would have got a pitcher who touches close to 100 mph thrown in with Pineda.

Look at Stephen Strasburg.

NYYF Legend

The Nats didn't give up Bryce Harper to get Strasburg. They drafted him. Big difference than giving up a hitter that even Brian Cashman claimed was the best young Yankee hitter since Jeter.

Draft/develop your own pitchers.

The Nats didn't give up Bryce Harper to get Strasburg. They drafted him. Big difference than giving up a hitter that even Brian Cashman claimed was the best young Yankee hitter since Jeter.

Draft/develop your own pitchers.
    Yup, and that's supposed to be Casman's motto. The reason Montero was the only legit position player prospect above A-Ball was the Yankees dedication to develop their own pitching.

Thread Information