+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Yankee radio broadcasts to switch to ESPN and FM band?

Unless they have exclusive contracts with WCBS I don't think this would have anything to do with Sterling & Waldman. I know when the Astros have switched radio stations in the past (like 99 or something) the announcers stayed the same, even though they were switching between competing stations.

Quote Originally Posted by justtxyank View Post
    Unless they have exclusive contracts with WCBS I don't think this would have anything to do with Sterling & Waldman. I know when the Astros have switched radio stations in the past (like 99 or something) the announcers stayed the same, even though they were switching between competing stations.
    I think in this case Sterling and Waldman would be replaced with ESPN's own guys.

It would be different, I think, if they moved to WABC 770 or another station like that.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by yankswun96 View Post
    If ESPN spends a lot of money to get the Yanks will they increase the power of 1050? I have had problems getting 1050 in Nassau County and also in southern Dutchess County where I live.
    As I stated before, 1050 WEPN is directional, and needs to be to protect stations far away, like in Toronto, especially at night... Here are the coverage maps for WEPN, in the daytime and overnight.

WEPN_AM_LN.jpgWEPN_AM_LD.jpg

When compared to the clear channel 50 kW AM powerhouses like WFAN, and WCBS-AM, it's no wonder ESPN wants an FM Station.

WFAN_AM_LU.jpgWCBS_AM_LU.jpg

Any of the Class B FM's in NYC would be better than 1050 AM. Here is Hot 97:
    WQHT_FM_LU.jpg

Cheers!
    -Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I think in this case Sterling and Waldman would be replaced with ESPN's own guys.

It would be different, I think, if they moved to WABC 770 or another station like that.
    Maybe Michael Kay can do a play-by-play simulcast on tv and radio with a sports talk show thrown in for good measure?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

We are getting way ahead of ourselves.

1: The article was written by Mushnick who would give 5 years off his life to get Sterling fired

2: It is very possible CBS radio re-ups with the Yankees, move them to WFAN after a year and let the Mets go in 2014.

3: If # 2 does not happen, ESPN is not going to lose the Yankee rights over keeping John Sterling, a guy who they love to play anyway on sports center.

I am not a Sterling fan by any means but he has enough connections to survive the change

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post
    The article was written by Mushnick who would give 5 years off his life to get Sterling fired
    I'll kick in a year and a half.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Oops! I pooped on your things! __starr69's Avatar

1: The article was written by Mushnick who would give 5 years off his life to get Sterling fired

2: It is very possible CBS radio re-ups with the Yankees, move them to WFAN after a year and let the Mets go in 2014.

3: If # 2 does not happen, ESPN is not going to lose the Yankee rights over keeping John Sterling, a guy who they love to play anyway on sports center.

I am not a Sterling fan by any means but he has enough connections to survive the change
    This. And the same goes for Suzyn. Those two get along so well so we're stuck with them for a while, because neither one will leave the radio for YES.

I'm thinking of listening to the Spanish feed when I can't watch. I don't understand Spanish, but it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Devoted Member

I think scenario number 2 is most likely to happen. Get the #1 sports team on the #1 sports station. In this case, the Mets probably end up on ESPN.

I thought that Jawn & Georgie girl were just re upped for one year only like the station WCBS?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
    I think scenario number 2 is most likely to happen. Get the #1 sports team on the #1 sports station. In this case, the Mets probably end up on ESPN.
    If CBS Radio is losing money with Yankee radio, then why would they dump the Mets (where they MAY be making money) and replace them with a program they will lose money with? The Yankees may not bring in enough revenue to make them profitable.

Yankees on ESPN makes sense, just like FOX overpaying for the NFC package back in 1994. ESPN needs to build the brand.

Cheers!
    -Doug

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I'll kick in a year and a half.
    I'd make a matching donation.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
    As I stated before, 1050 WEPN is directional, and needs to be to protect stations far away, like in Toronto, especially at night... Here are the coverage maps for WEPN, in the daytime and overnight.

Attachment 21006Attachment 21007

When compared to the clear channel 50 kW AM powerhouses like WFAN, and WCBS-AM, it's no wonder ESPN wants an FM Station.

Attachment 21009Attachment 21010

Any of the Class B FM's in NYC would be better than 1050 AM. Here is Hot 97:
    Attachment 21012

Cheers!
    -Doug
    Doug, do you have this info for 98.7, KISS-FM?

Thanks

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I just tried 98.7 and I get it so-so just outside of New Haven. I hope they get a strong affiliate network (I think there's an ESPN affiliated AM Connecticut station somewhere on the dial but I don't listen to ESPN and I have no clue where it is). I still believe the Yankees will end up on WFAN, though.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Great now get John & Suzyn nowhere near the microphone and we are set.

NYYF Legend

Neil Best ‏ @sportswatch
    ESPN Radio is moving to 98.7 FM in New York, the long-time home of R&B station KISS-FM.

Neil Best ‏ @sportswatch
    Michael Kay show will be on only 3 to 6 p.m. (not 7) starting Monday on new ESPN NY slate. Stephen A. joining Ryan Ruocco from 1 to 3 p.m.

Neil Best ‏ @sportswatch
    ESPN not wasting any time with move to FM. New spot on dial launches April 30. But 1050 AM probably will continue to simulcast for a while.

Neil Best ‏ @sportswatch
    ESPN is NOT buying KISS FM, just renting space on that channel. ESPN definitely will bid aggressively for Yankees after this season.

Neil Best ‏ @sportswatch
    If ESPN does land Yankees next year - which CBS will not give up w/out a fight - that does not necessarily mean curtains for John and Suzyn.

https://twitter.com/#!/sportswatch

1050 AM ESPN Radio moving to 98.7 KISS-FM

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    Doug, do you have this info for 98.7, KISS-FM?

Thanks
    WRKS_FM_LU.jpg

Above is the predicted coverage patter for WRKS (previously WXLO 99x and WOR-FM). Most of the Class B FM's off Empire have similar patterns. It's all line of sight...

Cheers!
    -Doug

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    At night, WCBS (and WFAN for that matter), can be heard crystal clear well into Canada
    So different networks for day games and night games?

Quote Originally Posted by sjanowsky View Post
    So different networks for day games and night games?
    No. The reason that AM stations travel long distances (especially at night) is a function of terrain and wavelength (frequency). At night, the AM sky-wave is reflected back to earth. At night, the FM sky-wave goes straight to the moon, like Alice.

Cheers!
    -Doug

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Neil Best ‏ @sportswatch
    ESPN not wasting any time with move to FM. New spot on dial launches April 30. But 1050 AM probably will continue to simulcast for a while.
    Per the article...

"The all-new ESPN New York 98.7 FM will also be carried on 1050 until September, when the plan is to turn that signal into a 24-hour ESPN Deportes station, coinciding with the beginning of Hispanic Heritage Month (Sept. 15-Oct. 15)."

I'll have to try 98.7 in the car later and see how well I get it up here. According to the coverage map for it, I'm between the 'distant' and 'fringe' circles.
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I just tried 98.7 and I get it so-so just outside of New Haven. I hope they get a strong affiliate network (I think there's an ESPN affiliated AM Connecticut station somewhere on the dial but I don't listen to ESPN and I have no clue where it is). I still believe the Yankees will end up on WFAN, though.
    I'm with you, I don't listen to ESPN anyway but most of the time couldn't if I wanted to because of the lack of signal around my area.
    According to their website, they have WINE 940 out of Brookfield, WAVZ 1300 out of New Haven, and WPOP 1410 out of Hartford listed as Connecticut affiliates.
    I get none of these where I live and work.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post
    Per the article...

"The all-new ESPN New York 98.7 FM will also be carried on 1050 until September, when the plan is to turn that signal into a 24-hour ESPN Deportes station, coinciding with the beginning of Hispanic Heritage Month (Sept. 15-Oct. 15)."

I'll have to try 98.7 in the car later and see how well I get it up here. According to the coverage map for it, I'm between the 'distant' and 'fringe' circles.
    Just remember, even if you are on the fringe there will still be affiliate stations. For example, for you there is an affiliate in Bridgeport. It may not be the same stations next year, but it should be something similar...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yor..._Radio_Network

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
    Just remember, even if you are on the fringe there will still be affiliate stations. For example, for you there is an affiliate in Bridgeport. It may not be the same stations next year, but it should be something similar...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yor..._Radio_Network
    Yeah I know. I posted earlier I'm hopeful they keep WICC 600 as a partner. That would be ideal for this area. I can't get any of the current ESPN stations surrounding me clear enough right now as it stands. You would have to hope that ESPN is thinking this move through with regards to coverage area if they intend to go after and win the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post
    Yeah I know. I posted earlier I'm hopeful they keep WICC 600 as a partner. That would be ideal for this area. I can't get any of the current ESPN stations surrounding me clear enough right now as it stands. You would have to hope that ESPN is thinking this move through with regards to coverage area if they intend to go after and win the contract.
    ESPN Radio is interested in competing in the City. They need to brand themselves against the entrenched WFAN. With their poor directional signal on 1050 AM, they've completed the first step by upgrading to a Class B NYC FM on the Empire State Building. They have addressed all of their issues with regard to coverage in the market. Their next move is to land a team for the summer months. ESPN already has the Knicks and Rangers, so their winter calendar is in good shape. The Yankees would give them a summer team. They will overpay for this privilege, I am sure, just like FOX overpaid for the NFC TV rights back in 1994.

ESPN doesn't care that their new FM signal doesn't travel as far as the WCBS-AM signal. All they care about is that they get the year round programming they need to compete with WFAN.

The Yankees themselves should be the ones to worry about loss of coverage should they decide to take ESPN-FM over WCBS-AM. But since they have an extensive radio network, they may not care at all; especially when they see the offer from ESPN....

I can get the Yanks on FM up in Sullivan County on the PDH repeater. Nothing like Sterling and Waldman in living stereo....

Cheers!
    -Doug

NYYF Legend

The bummer to me is the coverage going South. There are no affilliates within Phillies or Orioles territory, which basically is everything south of Princeton. I could get 880 the whole length of the Jersey Turnpike during the day and all the way through Delaware. At night, I could listen as far south as the Susquehanna on Route 95, and some spots below that. I drive that route a lot with two sons in Baltimore and I counted on radio coverage. No way that FM station goes much below Exit 6 or 7 on the NJTPK.

Might be time for Sirius/XM.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Thread Information