+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NYYF Cy Young

Yankee radio broadcasts to switch to ESPN and FM band?

Sounds like the days with WCBS and John Sterling / Suzyn Waldman may be numbered:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...Wc9c83bpBhjCyI
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

Re: Yankee radio broadcasts to switch to ESPN and FM band?

Finally!!! I hope if ESPN is paying that much for the Yanks that they have final say over the broadcasters and not the Yanks. 101.9 is not that powerful of a signal. I hope they boost that up. 880 I can get in Pennsylvania when I go up there. 101.9 I cant get that far when I got out past Exit 60 on the L.I.E.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Keep moving forward...see my CUT.

101.9 is not an option according to the article so no need to worry about that.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    Finally!!! I hope if ESPN is paying that much for the Yanks that they have final say over the broadcasters and not the Yanks. 101.9 is not that powerful of a signal. I hope they boost that up. 880 I can get in Pennsylvania when I go up there. 101.9 I cant get that far when I got out past Exit 60 on the L.I.E.
    FM reception is line of sight. Reception from the top of ESB is pretty much the same for all full power NYC FMs on the ESB. I'd guess no more than 60 miles as the crow flies, provided you don't have mountains in the way.

AM reception is a different beast, and follows the curve of the earth, and even is reflected back by the ionosphere at night. Alas, it is susceptible to interference by pretty much every modern gadget. This is why you can receive it in PA.

There will be no way that a "Full Power FM" terrestrial broadcast radio station will be able to boost their power. The bands are too crowded. The days of Wolfman Jack on a half a million watt border blaster from Mexico reaching everything west of the Mississippi are long gone.

I want to say that, at least before 9-11, WQHT (Hot 97) had the most powerful FM signal. Not sure if power has been reduced across the board on the master FM antenna on ESB to make room / accommodate those stations displaced as a result of the loss of 1 WTC.

In addition, modern radio receivers are not as sensitive as those from the past.... There's no money in making them anymore.

Cheers!
    -Doug

When driving to enemy environs (Boston area for wife's family), I can get WCBS-AM until at least past Providence. Sometimes more, sometimes less. When my wife has one of the FM stations on, we lose it almost as we cross into CT. How will this "expand" the listener base?
    "Bacon, The Candy of Meats"

Quote Originally Posted by RayG View Post
    When driving to enemy environs (Boston area for wife's family), I can get WCBS-AM until at least past Providence. Sometimes more, sometimes less. When my wife has one of the FM stations on, we lose it almost as we cross into CT. How will this "expand" the listener base?
    It doesn't expand the listener base for Yankees games. WCBS-AM looses money big time on the Yankees. So they (CBS Radio) may just let them go, and keep the Mets (who cost about half).

ESPN needs the Yankees to build their brand and compete with WFAN. They already have the Rangers and Knicks. 1050 AM has a directional AM Tower array in order to protect other stations far away (especially at night). The move to FM for ESPN Radio would greatly improve reception for Knicks and Rangers, and help them compete with the FAN. Adding the Yankees would also bring in more listeners especially when the Yankees aren't playing.

Think of it as a loss-leader for ESPN Radio. Yes, we will lose money on the Yankees, but will make more with billing for other programs on the station that will now have higher ratings.

Cheers!
    -Doug

Addicted Member

Who would be doing the calling for espn? I know i really don't feel like the typical espn joe buck bashing of yankees baseball.
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

Quote Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
    FM reception is line of sight. Reception from the top of ESB is pretty much the same for all full power NYC FMs on the ESB. I'd guess no more than 60 miles as the crow flies, provided you don't have mountains in the way.

AM reception is a different beast, and follows the curve of the earth, and even is reflected back by the ionosphere at night. Alas, it is susceptible to interference by pretty much every modern gadget. This is why you can receive it in PA.

There will be no way that a "Full Power FM" terrestrial broadcast radio station will be able to boost their power. The bands are too crowded. The days of Wolfman Jack on a half a million watt border blaster from Mexico reaching everything west of the Mississippi are long gone.

I want to say that, at least before 9-11, WQHT (Hot 97) had the most powerful FM signal. Not sure if power has been reduced across the board on the master FM antenna on ESB to make room / accommodate those stations displaced as a result of the loss of 1 WTC.

In addition, modern radio receivers are not as sensitive as those from the past.... There's no money in making them anymore.

Cheers!
    -Doug

NYYF Triple Crown

I would hope that they would maintain a pretty extensive list of radio affiliates like they have now. WICC-600 out of Bridgeport covers my area quite well. I'd like to have them continue as an affiliate in case the FM station they wind up using is insufficient for listening in my area.
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

NYYF Legend

Waldman must go, can't happen soon enough!!

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by b0mber View Post
    Who would be doing the calling for espn? I know i really don't feel like the typical espn joe buck bashing of yankees baseball.
    It wouldn't be since one is national and the other is local- It would be like comparing Fox Sports with the infamous Mccarver and Buck with the local Fox Sports networks (LA, Florida, North, etc) and their announcers.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Oh my goodness gracious.....

Dont like the grunting?

Devoted Member

I get 880 nice and clear almost anywhere in CT. I also head to Cape Cod for a few days every summer and get clear reception of 880 there too. 660 also comes in pretty well. 1050 around here is hit or miss though. I get it clear some times, and not so clear other times. If they do move to ESPN, hopefully 1050 gets a signal equivalent of 880.

Also, wouldn't Sterling and Waldman just go over to ESPN with the Yankees radio network?

NYYF Legend

At night, WCBS (and WFAN for that matter), can be heard crystal clear well into Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
    I get 880 nice and clear almost anywhere in CT. I also head to Cape Cod for a few days every summer and get clear reception of 880 there too. 660 also comes in pretty well. 1050 around here is hit or miss though. I get it clear some times, and not so clear other times. If they do move to ESPN, hopefully 1050 gets a signal equivalent of 880.

Also, wouldn't Sterling and Waldman just go over to ESPN with the Yankees radio network?
    The radio station hires the announcers, the team doesn't. But I've always assumed that the team has a great deal to say about that decision.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Forum Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdtn0Z4o8cM

as long as I never have to hear something like this again I will be beyond happy!

At night, WCBS (and WFAN for that matter), can be heard crystal clear well into Canada
    On clear afternoons they can be heard on the Outer Banks of North Carolina as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mushnick View Post
    Sterling has been calling Yankees radiocasts since 1989 and been partnered with Waldman since 1999.
    Huhh?
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post
    I would hope that they would maintain a pretty extensive list of radio affiliates like they have now. WICC-600 out of Bridgeport covers my area quite well. I'd like to have them continue as an affiliate in case the FM station they wind up using is insufficient for listening in my area.
    WICC comes in better than WCBS for me sometimes up here on the north shore of Long Island.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Triple Crown

I work in a couple of the neighboring towns to bridgeport and I can get either station just fine around here. But sometimes when I am actually inside a building I will lose wcbs but still be able to get wicc. So for that reason it is still nice to have a more local affiliate. For me anyway.

Forum Regular

If ESPN spends a lot of money to get the Yanks will they increase the power of 1050? I have had problems getting 1050 in Nassau County and also in southern Dutchess County where I live.

We have a local channel 94.3 which covers the lower Hudson Valley.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yankswun96 View Post
    If ESPN spends a lot of money to get the Yanks will they increase the power of 1050? I have had problems getting 1050 in Nassau County and also in southern Dutchess County where I live.
    No, see post #6:
    http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...=1#post7490094

Also, see article:
    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...Wc9c83bpBhjCyI

Yankees games wouldn't go on 1050, ESPN is buying an FM station to put them on

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post
    Originally Posted by Phil Mushnick
    Sterling has been calling Yankees radiocasts since 1989 and been partnered with Waldman since 1999.

Huhh?
    Yeah, I noticed that also. Makes you wonder what else he got wrong.

NYYF Cy Young

I am having deja vu, this story came out last year didn't it?!

As long as they get rid of Sterling and Waldman, I don't care if I have to install a 30 foot antenna on my roof to hear the station.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Thread Information