+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Highlanders vs Red Sox Friday, April 20 - Your Thoughts?

I thought the uniforms for both teams were absolutely fantastic. Dissapointed that MLB didn't have the umpires in historical uniforms as well. At least the umps on the bases.

NYYF Legend

Re: Highlanders vs Red Sox Friday, April 20 - Your Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_Pasqua_Pags View Post
    I thought the uniforms for both teams were absolutely fantastic. Dissapointed that MLB didn't have the umpires in historical uniforms as well. At least the umps on the bases.
    I actually liked them too. At first I wasn't thrilled with the whole idea....but warmed up to it. Having the umps in some sort of throwback uniform would have been good, probably a union thing.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

I've never wanted to own a baseball jersey, but I really covet one of those retro jobs ... Too bad they're not the authentic fabrics, though.

NYYF Legend

Actually, now I'm wondering if they're ever going to wear the home version of the Highlanders retro jersey. What would be an appropriate occasion? Any ideas?

Loved the gray uniforms without white. Wish they'd go back to the 50s road uni and ditch the 70s version.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Actually, now I'm wondering if they're ever going to wear the home version of the Highlanders retro jersey. What would be an appropriate occasion? Any ideas?
    If there was any occasion, it would have been the Yankees' 100th anniversary back in 2003

Devoted Member

As soon as they figure out when would make them the most money.

NYYF Legend

I thought the ceremony was pretty cool. My favorite part was the first pitches from the stands, just like they would have done 100 years ago. Subtle, but a nice touch keeping with tradition. But the best part of the day was of course a Yankees win.

Heidi
    "I don't need any extra motivation. My motivation is to win." - Derek Jeter

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

I've never wanted to own a baseball jersey, but I really covet one of those retro jobs ... Too bad they're not the authentic fabrics, though.
    What kind of fabric did they use back then? Is that stuff still widely available?
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

I thought it was aesthicaly pleasing. The players looked great with their high cuff pants. MLB should enforce that. I really didnt dig the Yanks uni when I first saw it, but after seeing it on a person I thought they looked great.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    What kind of fabric did they use back then? Is that stuff still widely available?

Cotton, unless I'm mistaken, so yes
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

They wore wool uniforms back them - -they were horrible in the summer.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Yep, wool would be the correct answer.

Did anybody look better than Mo in their throwback?

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/video...90479&c_id=mlb

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
    If there was any occasion, it would have been the Yankees' 100th anniversary back in 2003
    I still think the best time would be every old timers game. Each year they could wear a different uniform throwing back to a certain time period.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Yep, wool would be the correct answer.

Did anybody look better than Mo in their throwback?

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/video...90479&c_id=mlb
    OK, thanks for that one. Also, thanks also to Louuuuuuuuu, even if it wasn't cotton.

I'd wondered what the unis looked like. Mo definitely looked very cool in that outfit. It even took a few years off of him.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Gehrig39 View Post
    I still think the best time would be every old timers game. Each year they could wear a different uniform throwing back to a certain time period.
    I think that they all presently wear the current unis w/their past numbers. If wearing the unis from the eras in which they played, that would be something.

Yogi would be a big hit if wearing something from the late '40s or so. I'd love to see him trot out wearing that one.

NYYF Triple Crown

I thought it was all a pretty good tribute to the ballpark and well done.

All except the the drunken bizarre awkward toast by Pedro and Millar at the end. That was definitely weird and left a lot of people scratching their heads, I think. Especially the mention of Karim Garcia. Why would that be any part of a toast to the 100 year legacy of a ballpark?

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/video...74759&c_id=mlb
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post

All except the the drunken bizarre awkward toast by Pedro and Millar at the end. That was definitely weird and left a lot of people scratching their heads, I think. Especially the mention of Karim Garcia. Why would that be any part of a toast to the 100 year legacy of a ballpark?

Didn't see that until your clip. WTH? During one of Fenway's brightest moments, Millar dredges up one of its darkest? No class.

Heidi
    "I don't need any extra motivation. My motivation is to win." - Derek Jeter

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    I actually liked them too. At first I wasn't thrilled with the whole idea....but warmed up to it. Having the umps in some sort of throwback uniform would have been good, probably a union thing.
    Didn't they have only two or three umps per game back then? And didn't one ump stand behind the pitcher, instead of the catcher? just wondering.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

I liked the the way they allowed all the returning players to go to the positions they used to play. I was amazed at how many of those players I remembered. Yaz is only two weeks older than me, and I always enjoyed watching him play.....Too bad he wasn't a Yankee.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    I liked the the way they allowed all the returning players to go to the positions they used to play. I was amazed at how many of those players I remembered. Yaz is only two weeks older than me, and I always enjoyed watching him play.....Too bad he wasn't a Yankee.
    Growing up in long island, how did the yanks let him get away?

Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post

Typical drunk Boston losers, why would Millar even be allowed to speak especially with all of the other much better boston players that were there?

Really liked the uniforms. Glad we don't wear them more often. Hope we don't we them again for a long time. The red caps piss me off enough and that's just once a season. Friday was special. If it happens more, then it stops being special.

We are the Yankees: we wear one home uniform and one road uniform; we wear one cap.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    Really liked the uniforms. Glad we don't wear them more often. Hope we don't we them again for a long time. The red caps piss me off enough and that's just once a season. Friday was special. If it happens more, then it stops being special.

We are the Yankees: we wear one home uniform and one road uniform; we wear one cap.
    Amen to that!

NYYF Legend

yup the uniforms were awesome, though the Yankees arent really a franchise into wearing retros. Too bad cause would be nice to wear some retro pinstripes or retro Highlanders gear.

and yes the old jerseys were made of wool. I have the 1929 Babe Ruth Mitchell and Ness replica authentic, I can only wear it in April/May cause it is horrible to wear in the summer heat. 3/4 sleeves and wool dont mix good in the summer
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Thread Information