+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

New Clemens Trial: Several Former Yanks on Witness List

http://www.newsday.com/news/region-s...rial-1.3663058
    WASHINGTON - (AP) -- Prosecutors said they might call former baseball players Barry Bonds and Jose Canseco, current baseball commissioner Bud Selig and New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman as witnesses in the Roger Clemens perjury case. The defense said it might call former Clemens teammates Paul O'Neill, Jorge Posada and Mike Stanton, and baseball writer Peter Gammons.
    Those were among the more than 100 potential witnesses read Monday on the first day of jury selection in Clemens' new trial, with a larger prosecution team taking on the famed pitcher following last year's embarrassing mistrial. The government will again try to prove Clemens lied to Congress when he said he never used performance-enhancing drugs.
    The legendary former pitcher, who famously reveled in staring down hitters, will face a prosecution lineup of five lawyers -- more than double the two from the first trial.
    Last July, U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton declared a mistrial on only the second day of testimony, after prosecutors showed jurors evidence that had been ruled inadmissible. Walton also will preside over the new trial, which is expected to last four weeks to six weeks.
    Of course, this just means that they're on the list of potential witnesses, not that they'll definitely be called to testify. I'm sure that Cashman would like to wake up and have it be 2013 with the year he's already been having legally.

Unfortunately, this is going to be a story for the next couple of months so I thought we'd need a new thread.

Re: New Clemens Trial: Several Former Yanks on Witness List

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post

Of course, this just means that they're on the list of potential witnesses, not that they'll definitely be called to testify. I'm sure that Cashman would like to wake up and have it be 2013 with the year he's already been having legally.

Unfortunately, this is going to be a story for the next couple of months so I thought we'd need a new thread.
    I read a story that there are several jurors that deem this trial a 'waste of taxpayer money' due to all of the other pitfalls the dept of treasury is facing these days....

Here's the link, for those interested:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...bHT_story.html
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

^
    waste of taxpayers’ money at a time when we have significant fiscal problems in our country to prosecute this case again because they felt that Congress has all of these other issues on their plate, they can’t seem to solve them, so why are we spending money prosecuting this case.”
    My sentiments exactly - enough already. It's a distraction again now that the season has started. Clemens has gone too far to turn back now and no matter how many people are dragged into court to tesitfy for or against him, I don't think there will ever be a conviction. I don't know why - just a hunch.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

I don't really care much about the Clemens trial with the exception of how it's going to affect Andy Pettitte and how much time he might have to spend away from the team. Along those lines, I link this:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...itte-testimony
    A ruling was issued about Clemens' former teammate Andy Pettitte: He can testify about taking human growth hormone, but can't say where he got it from.

The government's case suffered a blow when Walton made the ruling about Pettitte.

Pettitte is expected to say that he used HGH and that he had conversations with Clemens about HGH, but the judge ruled that Pettitte can't identify McNamee as a supplier because the jury might try to connect the dots and conclude that McNamee must have also supplied Clemens -- a case of "classic guilt by association," one of Clemens' lawyers said.

I don't really care much about the Clemens trial with the exception of how it's going to affect Andy Pettitte and how much time he might have to spend away from the team. Along those lines, I link this:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...itte-testimony
    Good lord just throw this case out already. It was foolish to have baseball players testify in front of congress to begin with... now they're going to waste more money trying to get perjury charges against a guy based primarily on the word of a convicted liar? I mean, Clemens may well have lied but a) Congress should have never opened that door and b) I don't see how they'll get a conviction with the evidence that has been made public anyway.

Time to move on, and STOP dragging sports matters into Congress. Didn't Dick Durbin say something recently about wanting to have Congress investigate the NFL for these "bounty" programs like the ones the Saints had? Good lord - we have a country to run don't we?

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Good lord just throw this case out already. It was foolish to have baseball players testify in front of congress to begin with... now they're going to waste more money trying to get perjury charges against a guy based primarily on the word of a convicted liar? I mean, Clemens may well have lied but a) Congress should have never opened that door and b) I don't see how they'll get a conviction with the evidence that has been made public anyway.

Time to move on, and STOP dragging sports matters into Congress. Didn't Dick Durbin say something recently about wanting to have Congress investigate the NFL for these "bounty" programs like the ones the Saints had? Good lord - we have a country to run don't we?
    Makes me wanna vomit.
    Nothing better to do on Capitol Hill except prove (or not) that Clemens lied?
    Please...

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Makes me wanna vomit.
    Nothing better to do on Capitol Hill except prove (or not) that Clemens lied?
    Please...
    Lying to a grand jury is a serious matter, and lying to Congress is a big deal. The issue I have is that Congress should have NEVER gotten involved in any of this to begin with. There should have been no grand jury testimony for any of these players.

And if they don't have the goods to prove that false testimony was given, just move on and don't repeat the mistake of butting Congressional noses into things that ultimately are not critical in terms of our country's well being. Or be proactive... if you think baseball players taking steroids is going to encourage youth nationwide to do the same, don't go witch hunting for players that technically didn't break the law by taking steroids. Go change the laws to make distributing them illegally a more serious crime, or make it a crime to take them without a prescription.

Lying to a grand jury is a serious matter, and lying to Congress is a big deal. The issue I have is that Congress should have NEVER gotten involved in any of this to begin with. There should have been no grand jury testimony for any of these players.

And if they don't have the goods to prove that false testimony was given, just move on and don't repeat the mistake of butting Congressional noses into things that ultimately are not critical in terms of our country's well being. Or be proactive... if you think baseball players taking steroids is going to encourage youth nationwide to do the same, don't go witch hunting for players that technically didn't break the law by taking steroids. Go change the laws to make distributing them illegally a more serious crime, or make it a crime to take them without a prescription.
    (I agree with your points)

Didn't this get thrown out once?
    So it was who, that decided to go through this circus again?
    That is where the waste of money and time comes into play. Those commodities can be much better allocated than seeing if Roger lied or not.
    To me.
    But you're 100% correct about Congress making a difference going forward...

NYYF Legend

Bumping this up a bit since Pettitte testified yesterday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/02/sp...it_th_20120502

[snip]
    What Pettitte described on the witness stand Tuesday at Clemens’s federal perjury trial did not come as a surprise; he said as much in a sworn affidavit for a Congressional hearing in 2008. But the courtroom scene was one that many Yankees had long dreaded because it pitted two former teammates who were once as close as brothers.

Without emotion, as if he were facing a particularly tough batter, Pettitte said that Clemens told him in 1999 or 2000 that he had used human growth hormone, which is now banned by baseball.

“Roger had mentioned to me that he had taken H.G.H. and that it could help with recovery,” Pettitte said. “You know, that’s all I really remember about the conversation.”

And, without flinching, he said that Clemens accused him in 2005 of remembering that conversation inaccurately. Clemens said it was his wife, not him, who had used H.G.H.

“Obviously, I was a little flustered because I thought that he had told me he did,” Pettitte said. “My reaction after that was, well, no good asking him or talking to him about this now, and I just walked out, end of the conversation.”
    [snip]
    “Yeah, it is difficult,” Pettitte said when asked if it was hard to testify against Clemens, his boyhood idol and longtime mentor. When asked why, Pettitte said in a low voice, “Cuz, good friend.”

Clemens, one of baseball’s greatest pitchers, is charged with perjury, making false statements and obstructing Congress for testifying at a House hearing in 2008 that he had never used performance-enhancing drugs. But in a twist in this, the latest drug trial involving a star athlete, one of his closest friends might have provided the most damaging testimony.

Brian McNamee, Clemens’s former trainer, is the government’s star witness and is expected to testify that he injected Clemens with steroids and human growth hormone. But Pettitte’s testimony could carry more weight with jurors if they doubt McNamee’s credibility.
    [snip]
    Dressed in a gray suit, with his hair closely shorn in military style, Pettitte answered the prosecutor’s questions by saying “yes, sir” nearly a dozen times.

Twice, he alluded to his religious convictions. When asked why he came out of retirement this year, he said, “I feel good about it, prayed about it with my family.” He added later that he returned to the game because he felt that God gave him the ability to pitch, so he should not waste it.

When he said those things, a few jurors snapped their heads toward him and slowly nodded. At times, though, the panel looked bored, with at least one member appearing to nod off repeatedly while Pettitte spoke.
    [snip]
    The questioning proceeded slowly, with Pettitte asked to painstakingly explain even the most basic aspects of the game for the jurors. At one point, Durham asked him if he “was familiar with something called the disabled list” and the judge asked him, “Is there a connection between Boston and the Red Sox?”
    [snip]
    Michael Attanasio, one of Clemens’s lawyers, had only about an hour to question Pettitte before the session ended for the day. He pressed him about the H.G.H. conversation Pettitte said he had with Clemens in 1999 or 2000, hinting that the two were working out too hard — with “a lot of huffing and puffing” — to have a focused conversation.

He also asked Pettitte in what seemed like dozens of ways how good Clemens was as a pitcher even before and after McNamee claims to have injected him. Pettitte answered that Clemens was one of the best, if not the best.

“Did he ever once tell you or suggest to you that you should use H.G.H. or steroids?” Attanasio said.

Pettitte said no.

“Was there ever a moment where you looked at that man, dressed or undressed, that you thought, this guy is doing something funny?” Attanasio said, asking if Pettitte had ever suspected Clemens was using drugs.

Pettitte said no.
    The defense seems to be grasping at straws - suggesting that Pettitte could not have recalled the conversation correctly because he and Clemens were working out too intensely at the time. If my best friend dropped a bomb like admitting he/she used steroids, I'd remember it correctly if we were on mile 25 of the Boston Marathon.

One thing I don't think anyone in the courtroom is going to have to second guess is Pettitte's honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post

One thing I don't think anyone in the courtroom is going to have to second guess is Pettitte's honesty.
    Meh. He hasn't exactly been a pillar of honesty through this.

“I am sorry for not telling the whole truth in my statement after the Mitchell Report was released,” Pettitte said.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I can imagine Pettitte lying. I cannot imagine him putting his hand on the Bible and swearing to God that he will tell the truth, and then lying.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Peter Gammons is there? wait, Clemens was on the Yankees? Nice knowin ya Rog
    Phil Hughes is a starter!

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I'm quite certain Pettitte meant "the whole truth" about himself - not anyone else.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I can imagine Pettitte lying. I cannot imagine him putting his hand on the Bible and swearing to God that he will tell the truth, and then lying.
    Exactly.

Devoted Member

With a debt approaching $16 trillion, would hope Congress has better things to do with their time and our money than care whether pro athletes use PEDs. They did, they have huge egos and don't like admitting that. Clemens is a jerk, but prosecuting him,and hauling him before Congress in the 1st place was a total waste.
    pitching, pitching and pitching

NYYF Cy Young

I'm a plaintiff's lawyer and I'm all about the Courts. And even I think this is a complete waste of time.

The Judge could not have been any more clear with his in limine rulings - Judges will frequently telegraph how they want the cases resolved based on those rulings. Andy can talk about HGH but not testify about where he got it from?

He might as well have said "drop the case, fellas." Who cares if Clemens goes to jail anyway, other than Clemens and whomever is pulling the prosecutions' strings? He's already been ruined by this scandal. Public opinion is dangerous these days...tearing down celebrities is practically our national sport now.
    Attention Steinbrenner and front-office morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is George Costanza. I fear no reprisal. Extension 5-1-7-0.

NYYF Legend

I think maybe Andy saw this as an opportunity to end his part as a nail in the coffin for Clemens and took it. I would imagine that's weighing heavily on him. Even though he wasn't able to look at his buddy during the whole ordeal, he probably thinks of Clemens as a friend - if not now, certainly in the past. "50-50" is leaving it wide open for the jurors. The defense played on Pettitte's past, close relationship with Clemens and his uneasy demeanor on the stand then used it to force him to re-think his statement. The whole thing is one sorry, ridiculous and wasteful circus.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    I think maybe Andy saw this as an opportunity to end his part as a nail in the coffin for Clemens and took it. I would imagine that's weighing heavily on him. Even though he wasn't able to look at his buddy during the whole ordeal, he probably thinks of Clemens as a friend - if not now, certainly in the past. "50-50" is leaving it wide open for the jurors. The defense played on Pettitte's past, close relationship with Clemens and his uneasy demeanor on the stand then used it to force him to re-think his statement. The whole thing is one sorry, ridiculous and wasteful circus.
    I think people need to look at Pettitte's testimony now and before in its entirety before accusing Pettitte of changing his account of those conversations with Clemens that took place several years ago.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ting-and-wrong

Gene Monahan got to put on a suit and tie and make the trip to DC.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/f...s-trial-052312

"The government says it has four to six more witnesses to call"

we'll soon see if Paulie or Posada or Knobhead go to Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by 4trainEddie View Post
    Gene Monahan got to put on a suit and tie and make the trip to DC.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/f...s-trial-052312

"The government says it has four to six more witnesses to call"

we'll soon see if Paulie or Posada or Knobhead go to Washington.
    I'm so glad a portion of my taxes are helping to pay for all this.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I'm so glad a portion of my taxes are helping to pay for all this.
    your money to buy tickets and concessions when Clemens was playing is now paying for his defense.
    your time watching the game on tv paid for the ad revenue that the yankees got, so they could then pay Clemens, who now pays his defense team.

either way , we're paying.

if Clemens takes the stand in his own defense, I will at least give him some credit for that;
    but it looks like the jury isnt going to believe just McNamee and there are no other witnesses that tie Clemens directly to steroids, not withstanding the wishywashy Petitte.
    Clemens doesnt have to take the stand.
    not guilty, but no cooperstown
    he's still got his gazzillions in the bank just like Bonds and Palmero

i'm rooting for Clemens to beat this case
    RIP MR. STEINBRENNER

Clemens is a scumbag. I have no doubt he was using later in his career. Does anyone honestly believe that Clemens obtained steroids for his wife, but didn't actually use them himself? Come on, people!! Would you give your wife a substance that you would be afraid to use yourself? As Colin Cowherd, on ESPN Radio has said, "no athlete in my lifetime is a bigger fraud than Roger Clemens."

And as far as "wasting taxpayer money" goes, guess what? Congress and all the government lawyers get paid everyday, whether they conduct hearings, draft legislation, or sit around and pick their noses. So this trial isn't costing anyone any money that would not be spent on any other everyday business of government. They screwed up the Barry Bonds trial because they couldn't get Anderson to testify. I think this time, they have a better chance. And whether you agree with Congress even getting involved to begin with, it does not take away from the fact that lying to Congress is a federal crime. Clemens knew that, but he lied anyway. He is a high profile figure, and should be made to be an example for others.

As far as others who testified in the original hearings...Palmiero lied, Sosa lied, Schilling may have lied, and McGuire lied. Why haven't they been put on trial? Simple. At some point after their testimony, each of them (save Schilling) has been caught using (and admitted to it). Their public faces have been sullied, and their tickets to the HOF will be delayed (if not cancelled altogether) for many years to come.

Thread Information