+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Curtis Granderson Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    I can't even remember the last time New York traded away a player to get useful prospects in return.
    How often (lately) do we trade away a player for prospects anyway? Any player that would net a good prospect return is probably good enough for us to just keep and pay. It's not like the Yankees are falling out of contention regularly and dumping valuable players or trading away pieces out of fear that they can't afford them.

I remember being really pumped about the Sheffield trade.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post

Yeah, so was Hughes2.50

It was a really good trade but yeah, that dude was way too excited about it.

I remember being really pleased with the two trades that sent Sheffield and Randy Johnson away. While googling for the prospects in the RJ trade, I found this article:

http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...7&slug=2572983

Mariano, after one seasonof closing, straight up for a 27 year-old Randy Johnson.

Edit: Also found this outlining the whole deal involving other players.

http://voices.yahoo.com/new-york-yan...27.html?cat=14
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Why in the world would you bat k-king leadoff when he's batting below. 250, has trouble making contact and is one of the three biggest homerun threatsin the lineup? Jeter was doing just fine at leadoff.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    How often (lately) do we trade away a player for prospects anyway? Any player that would net a good prospect return is probably good enough for us to just keep and pay. It's not like the Yankees are falling out of contention regularly and dumping valuable players or trading away pieces out of fear that they can't afford them.

But isn't that what Yankee management is basically saying by trimming the payroll to 189 million? No way can they afford both Granderson and cano and still hit the target 189.

Why in the world would you bat k-king leadoff when he's batting below. 250, has trouble making contact and is one of the three biggest homerun threatsin the lineup? Jeter was doing just fine at leadoff.
    LRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLR

(get the picture?)
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

But isn't that what Yankee management is basically saying by trimming the payroll to 189 million? No way can they afford both Granderson and cano and still hit the target 189.
    I'm not so sure it's going to be that difficult to get the payroll down to 189 mil in 2014....
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Not sure how many games he has been in the current leadoff position but it isn't working. One would think that he would take the position seriously and try to adjust. His last 10 games look like this:

AB R H HR RBI SO SB AVG
    42 6 5 1 5 18 0 .119

I don't really think that his 28 or 29 homeruns make up for his many, many strikeouts and .239 BA. In the first or second hole he strikes out way to often, allowing nothing to happen defensively over one AB every game. No runners moved up, no sac flies, no chance for errors - just swings and misses. On top of that he looks like a rookie in the outfield - lots of speed but terrible at reading the ball off the bat. I think we might need to look at another option for next year. I'm not sure he is worth the cash.

NYYF Legend

The more I think about it, the more I think the Yankees will just let him walk after next season. The Yankees have excellent OF depth in the farm.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I think the Yankees will just let him walk after next season. The Yankees have excellent OF depth in the farm.
    I actually hope this is the case.

As much as I like Grandy, it's likely we are seeing his best years right now. When he starts to lose his speed, he will be a much less valuable player. His market will be lots of years and mad coin, and that $$$$ will probably be better invested elsewhere. However, the Yankees are going to need an elite, young offensive player to hit in the middle of the order with Cano, and I do hope the Yankees explore options such as Cargo or Justin Upton.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bomber999 View Post
    As much as I like Grandy, it's likely we are seeing his best years right now. When he starts to lose his speed, he will be a much less valuable player. His market will be lots of years and mad coin, and that $$$$ will probably be better invested elsewhere. However, the Yankees are going to need an elite, young offensive player to hit in the middle of the order with Cano, and I do hope the Yankees explore options such as Cargo or Justin Upton.
    I love what Grandy has brought to the team but part of what I loved was the Yanks were acquiring his prime years at a very reasonable AAV.

I'm not sure I'm crazy about giving him a Jason Werth type deal at the end of next season though.

I guess we'll see where the Yanks are at after next year since his option is a no brainer pickup at this point.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

“Trade a player a year too early rather than a year too late.”

-Branch Rickey
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

I've noticed that Granderson is getting a lot more breaking/off speed pitches over the last month (since Oakland). The rest of the league has noticed. He has been a different player since.

He had a great April, very good May (OPS over 100 points lower, OBP 39 points lower), but since then...he's been pretty bad. He's shown some power but nothing much of else.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/...AQpGJSEseFCLcF

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    “Trade a player a year too early rather than a year too late.”

-Branch Rickey

Well said. I don't want us t sign another over thirty to a long term deal.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

Granderson and the Strikeouts

Sounds like a rock band to me ...

I'd much rather have him test the market, get underwhelmed and then return on a somewhat team friendly deal. I don't see that as likely, but it is a possible and preferable outcome IMHO. I don't think he gets Werth or Crawford money.

Hey Guys, First time poster here.
    As I am sure this has come up here, but what would be everyone's reaction to letting Granderson go. I am sorry he may have 3 hits in tonight's game vs. Detroit. But I am tired of watching Jason Giambi 2.0 this guy is never clutch. Vs. the Red Sox I saw him strike out or pop up to the infield 3 times with men on 3rd and less than 2 outs. He reminds me of Alex Rodriguez in 2006 when we need him he strikes out, when we don't need him he homers. He is a great professional but I wouldn't be to upset to see this guy go. I know there isn't a huge cast of big named center fielders but I know the Diamondbacks are putting Justin Upton on the market. Plus with the contract of Cano coming to the near future this may help Cashman throw a bit more money at him. I think we could use the money we would waste on Curtis somewhere else and get a decent center fielder else where. I'm sorry I just cant take another game of opening up my scorecenter application on my phone to see Granderson go 0-5 with 3ks and 2 pop ups. I know he has 30 Home runs but honestly i can't think of one of them that came up in a big situation. Thanks Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by NJShaw11 View Post
    Hey Guys, First time poster here.
    As I am sure this has come up here, but what would be everyone's reaction to letting Granderson go. I am sorry he may have 3 hits in tonight's game vs. Detroit. But I am tired of watching Jason Giambi 2.0 this guy is never clutch. Vs. the Red Sox I saw him strike out or pop up to the infield 3 times with men on 3rd and less than 2 outs. He reminds me of Alex Rodriguez in 2006 when we need him he strikes out, when we don't need him he homers. He is a great professional but I wouldn't be to upset to see this guy go. I know there isn't a huge cast of big named center fielders but I know the Diamondbacks are putting Justin Upton on the market. Plus with the contract of Cano coming to the near future this may help Cashman throw a bit more money at him. I think we could use the money we would waste on Curtis somewhere else and get a decent center fielder else where. I'm sorry I just cant take another game of opening up my scorecenter application on my phone to see Granderson go 0-5 with 3ks and 2 pop ups. I know he has 30 Home runs but honestly i can't think of one of them that came up in a big situation. Thanks Everyone.
    Welcome.

You'll fit right in here.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Outside of saying Giambi wasn't a very productive offensive player & this "clutch factor", I agree with the new guy. I would not mind seeing Granderson chase big dollars somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Outside of saying Giambi wasn't a very productive offensive player & this "clutch factor", I agree with the new guy. I would not mind seeing Granderson chase big dollars somewhere else.
    I didn't read that far-- I stopped at 'clutch'.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I'd much rather have him test the market, get underwhelmed and then return on a somewhat team friendly deal. I don't see that as likely, but it is a possible and preferable outcome IMHO. I don't think he gets Werth or Crawford money.
    The deal won't be friendly from the Yankees' view even if he's willing to take a discount. A top HR hitter who plays CF (even though he's not very good at it) and a good clubhouse guy is going to get paid.

The deal won't be friendly from the Yankees' view even if he's willing to take a discount. A top HR hitter who plays CF (even though he's not very good at it) and a good clubhouse guy is going to get paid.
    Where would you set the over/under in terms of what you anticipate his top offer to be? And what would be the max deal you'd want to see in order to have him stay?

I don't see anyone kicking out ridiculous deals like Werth/Crawford got. They were atrocious deals to start with, and both teams got burned. Granderson is better than both those guys, but Crawford was 3 years younger and Rizzo was on crack, had cash to burn and had to overpay to bring talent to the Nats. And Yankee fans aren't the only ones that see the K rates, the deteriorating defense and his birth date.

Thread Information