+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

2012 Curtis Granderson Performance Thread

Quiet start for the Grandy Man, nice looking hit the other way the other night to tie it.

I was just wondering. Thinking back to signing Granderson, they played with the idea of moving him to left field as Gardner was likely going to get the starting job in the outfield. I searched and found an article saying he had no problem making the switch.

Granderson assured Girardi he had "no problem moving, switching, bouncing around."
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ticle-1.198603

Can anyone remember why they didn't go through with it? I'm guessing they felt there wasn't any measurable difference in defense between the two, but I can't find any source confirming that.

Addicted Member

Re: 2012 Curtis Granderson Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gegbot View Post
    Quiet start for the Grandy Man, nice looking hit the other way the other night to tie it.

I was just wondering. Thinking back to signing Granderson, they played with the idea of moving him to left field as Gardner was likely going to get the starting job in the outfield. I searched and found an article saying he had no problem making the switch.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ticle-1.198603

Can anyone remember why they didn't go through with it? I'm guessing they felt there wasn't any measurable difference in defense between the two, but I can't find any source confirming that.
    I think it's because they planned on platooning Gardner, so they felt it'd be more effective to have Granderson be the constant in CF and simply have the LFers platooning, rather than Granderson in LF vs. RHP and then switching to CF vs. LHP.

Quote Originally Posted by Petey View Post
    I think it's because they planned on platooning Gardner, so they felt it'd be more effective to have Granderson be the constant in CF and simply have the LFers platooning, rather than Granderson in LF vs. RHP and then switching to CF vs. LHP.
    That would make sense. Looking back it makes even more sense considering Gardner filled in for all but one game when Granderson was resting/fixing his swing. If it was planned that is.

Nice homer today. 3K's aren't so good, but I like the home run.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Nice homer today. 3K's aren't so good, but I like the home run.
    He swung at some tough pitches but you're right, it wasn't fun to watch with the exception of that one swing for the homerun. He's not taking like he was last year. Needs to be a little more patient.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

That catch tonight was sick.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    He swung at some tough pitches but you're right, it wasn't fun to watch with the exception of that one swing for the homerun. He's not taking like he was last year. Needs to be a little more patient.
    He seemed to be lunging a little in either his second or third at-bat. I'm confident he'll fix whatever needs some attention - one of the most intelligent players out there.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Please show up soon!

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    Please show up soon!
    He listened
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...n23/george.jpg

So much for last year being a fluke, huh?

The Yankees better get this man signed to an extension ASAP, cause he's on the verge of another MVP 40 HR type season, and with two of those back to back its gonna cost the Yankees a fortune. The longer they wait, the more its gonna cost them.

An upstanding citizen.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    So much for last year being a fluke, huh?

The Yankees better get this man signed to an extension ASAP, cause he's on the verge of another MVP 40 HR type season, and with two of those back to back its gonna cost the Yankees a fortune. The longer they wait, the more its gonna cost them.
    ... Granderson isn't an idiot. He knows this too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheYankee View Post

... Granderson isn't an idiot. He knows this too.
    Fine, but I don't wanna hear anything about budgets and needing to get under the luxury tax threshold, not if that means losing Granderson. This is a player the Yankees CANNOT LOSE, under no circumstances can they lose this player, no matter how much it costs them, and George would have understood that. This man is the best offensive CF in the AL, with a swing that is made for Yankee Stadium, and Hal better pony up.

You spelled Matt Kemp wrong.

slugging over .900 atm
    always reasonable

BRNXBMRS, can you do the same for Cano now?
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post

You spelled Matt Kemp wrong.
    Oops, I stand corrected ... in the AL

There are only two Yanks I want to see at bat with the game on the line - Cano and Granderson.

What an incredible game for Granderson tonight, but he's so good that it doesn't surprise me anymore.

What keeps me so fascinated is how this slender, athletic looking guy hits such insane bombs. I'd love to see how much force he generates in his swing compared to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Gegbot View Post
    What keeps me so fascinated is how this slender, athletic looking guy hits such insane bombs. I'd love to see how much force he generates in his swing compared to others.
    The thing about it is that most homerun hitters from previous eras weren't big guys either. Mantle, Aaron and Mays as examples. Most were 6' or shorter and weighed less than 200 lbs in their prime.

NYYF MVP

Curtis is 6' 1" 195 that is plenty big enough depending on your mechanics and how strong your hands, forearms and wrist are.

Kind of like Alfonso Soriano when he was in his peak years.

It has more to do with mechanics then actual physical strength.

Derek Jeter for example physically is no slouch he's 6'3" 195 and was about the same size physically as Alex Rodriguez for most of their 20's but they have completely different mechanics at the plate and to go with obviously different sets of natural ability.

If you're a professional hitter with good mechanics, strong wrist and hands when you're facing major league velocity or BP fastballs you don't need to be physically imposing ala many of the steroid era to hit the ball far.
    Last edited by NYCrusader; 04-20-12 at 08:11 AM.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrusader View Post
    Curtis is 6' 1" 195 that is plenty big enough if depending on you're mechanics and how strong you're hands, forearms and wrist are.

Kind of like Alfonso Soriano when he was in his peak years.

It has more to do with mechanics then actual physical strength.

Derek Jeter for example is physically no slouch he's 6'3" 195 and was about the same size physically as Alex Rodriguez for most of their 20's but they have completely different mechanics at the plate and to go with obviously different sets of natural ability.

If you're a professional hitter with good mechanics, strong wrist and hands when you're facing major league velocity or BP fastballs you don't need to be physically imposing ala many of the steroid era to hit the ball far.
    there's no chance Jeter's under 200 lbs. that's gotta be vanity listing him at 195..

NYYF MVP

Yea no doubt he is north of 200, Jeter has been listed at 195 since his rookie year.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNick View Post
    He listened
    I better go play the lotto.

Thread Information