+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    NYYF Cy Young

Re: Bringing my 9 Month Old Son to Opening Day

I've done it. Be prepared to miss a big inning while you are changing.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

Quote Originally Posted by tonytarasco View Post
    I'm taking him because I want to. Being a Yankees Fan is a big part of my life, and I hope it becomes a big part of his as well. I can't see myself waiting a few years for the fear that I might miss part of a game due to a fussy baby. If it's not happening then we try again some other time - no big deal.
    completely agree....in 2008 my then 5 month old was there at the old stadium for the last saturday game...loved the whole thing...slept when he wanted to.

he has gone every year including citi field and turner field down in atl too.

In 2011, our then 9 month old daughter went as well. She also made it all the way through.

1. Bring snacks
    2. use common sense like you normally would with your child
    3. be prepared to walk around for part of the game.
    4. have fun...you are doing a great thing

So tell us - How'd it go?

My infant/toddler story: My son has grown up at Yankees Stadium. Took him to his first game at 6-8 weeks old and he probably went to 10-15 games that year (1990) as we split full season that year. Seats were field box (prime screaming line drive foul ball territory) but we moved back up into main when he was with us. Switched to Sunday plan the next year and still have Sunday Plan. As long as we went to game, he went with us. Fortunately in OYS we had seats in RF - Main Sec 337 and if you remember the early '90's were our lean years. So there were many a Sunday, especially early in the season, we were the only ones ( and I truly mean the only ones - me, my husband, my son, my SIL & BIL) out there during the game so my son had free run of the aisles and we could move around freely in the seats near us. I would roll his stroller right to walkway in front of our seats.

By the time the Yankees starting winning again (1995) he was so accustomed to going to the games he knew the routine. Then though he was only 5yo the game began to hold his interest. We actually had to fool him when trying to get out of the house to go to the playoff game that year. In 1996 we took him to the playoffs & WS - we were there when they won it. Most people do not see their team win a world championship in their lifetime- never mind at 6yo.

So overall I would say I have been very fortunate in my experiences with infant-toddler at YS, and am even more fortunate to have the greatest son in the World who shares my love of the Yankees!!

The game went well, and weather permitting, I would have no problem bringing him to another one. The train was packed and I was fearing the worst right from the get go but my son loves being around people so that was no big deal. We went right to the parking lot next to the train and stayed there for at least an hour - still no problems. When we finally got to the stadium we found out that we were getting different seats in sec 125. They were great seats but they were in the sun and it was way warmer than expected. Don't take that as a complaint, we were prepared for low to mid 60s in the shade and brought way too much clothing so it was a little bit uncomfortable but not too bad. Again there was no major meltdown from my son and that was the main concern. He got a little antsy around the 7th inning so we went for a walk around the stadium and by the time we got back to our seats he was sleeping. He stayed asleep until we left during the top of the 9th inning.

I don't know if he had any idea where he was or what was going on, but we were all able to enjoy ourselves for the most part. Definitely a big change from my usual Yankee Stadium drunken stupor, but it was well worth it and I hope we can go again soon.

Just in case anyone was wondering we fed him while tailgating and once in the stadium. As for changing, we also did that once in the parking lot, once in the stadium, and once on the train ride home. We used nighttime diapers so he could go a little longer assuming he didnt drop a deuce.sleeping at stadium-1.jpgopening day 125.jpgtailgaiting.jpg

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

^^ Glad it all worked out for you! He's a cutie and I love his outfit.

I have 2 boys, 12 and 15 and they have been going with me to games for years - it's even more fun now since they are a bit older. They have a blast and know the stadium (old YS and new) very well so sometimes they go off by themselves doing various things - it's great.

The game went well, and weather permitting, I would have no problem bringing him to another one. The train was packed and I was fearing the worst right from the get go but my son loves being around people so that was no big deal. We went right to the parking lot next to the train and stayed there for at least an hour - still no problems. When we finally got to the stadium we found out that we were getting different seats in sec 125. They were great seats but they were in the sun and it was way warmer than expected. Don't take that as a complaint, we were prepared for low to mid 60s in the shade and brought way too much clothing so it was a little bit uncomfortable but not too bad. Again there was no major meltdown from my son and that was the main concern. He got a little antsy around the 7th inning so we went for a walk around the stadium and by the time we got back to our seats he was sleeping. He stayed asleep until we left during the top of the 9th inning.

I don't know if he had any idea where he was or what was going on, but we were all able to enjoy ourselves for the most part. Definitely a big change from my usual Yankee Stadium drunken stupor, but it was well worth it and I hope we can go again soon.

Just in case anyone was wondering we fed him while tailgating and once in the stadium. As for changing, we also did that once in the parking lot, once in the stadium, and once on the train ride home. We used nighttime diapers so he could go a little longer assuming he didnt drop a deuce.Attachment 20970Attachment 20969Attachment 20968

Thats great Tony !!

NYYF Legend

Glad it went well!
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

Thank you for reporting back. Glad it went well! He looks like his daddy!

Be careful. My Dad took me to a NY Giants game at the Polo Grounds when I was an infant. Obviously, I don't remember a thing. I became a Yankee fan.
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

Addicted Member

Glad the lil guy was ok! It's too bad he won't remember what a great game he saw, but at least you'll be able to tell him that he was watching the yankees win before he could walk, and i'm sure one day he'll be grateful for that.
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

Quote Originally Posted by b0mber View Post
    Glad the lil guy was ok! It's too bad he won't remember what a great game he saw, but at least you'll be able to tell him that he was watching the yankees win before he could walk, and i'm sure one day he'll be grateful for that.
    Yeah it is too bad he wont remember. I was telling my wife that i want to frame the tickets with a picture of the three of us and maybe the box score or something.

Addicted Member

That sounds like a really nice idea, definitely would be cool to have something to be able to look back on.
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

Yeah it is too bad he wont remember. I was telling my wife that i want to frame the tickets with a picture of the three of us and maybe the box score or something.

I did that.

Thread Information