+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: The Official 2012 Nick Swisher Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    When it comes down to it the athleets who will turn down millions of dollars to stay where they want are few and far between.

I can only think of a handful of athleets who gave a true "home town discount" so to speak. 99% of them go for the most money and years.
    The 1% played for Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    The 1% played for Boston.
    Ain't that the truth. Amazing how Ortiz played at such a discount all these years.

The funniest is when Bronson/Brandon Arroyo gave them a hometown discount, with a verbal agreement that he wouldn't get traded, only to get traded to the Reds no more than a couple of weeks later. I guess some of their players never learn how backstabbing the Sox FO is and always will be.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Ain't that the truth. Amazing how Ortiz played at such a discount all these years.

The funniest is when Bronson/Brandon Arroyo gave them a hometown discount, with a verbal agreement that he wouldn't get traded, only to get traded to the Reds no more than a couple of weeks later. I guess some of their players never learn how backstabbing the Sox FO is and always will be.
    The same thing would have happened to Lowell had they been able to close the deal with Teixeira.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post

I don't recall the verbal agreement, but it's really was on he and his agent what went down

Him singing that contract made him much easier to trade. For some reason they projected some sort of sentimentality on the sawx FO that all the evidence showed never existed

Sharks do what sharks do. The takeaway is their naivete rather than the sawx working for the perceived ( they ended up missing Brandon after their pitching depth vanished ) best interests of the club
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by knickfan23 View Post
    Blazer, I'm not sure I agree with you on this one bro.

How many players do you know have averaged 27 HR's, 85 RBI's, have an .850 OPS, all while playing right field and playing slightly above average defense? Think it over.

We can argue about his inability to hit to this point in the postseason. To me, if you are framing the argument that he should get paid less, you are then dismissing his production over the 162 game season and acting as if it doesn't count.

When you consider the lack of quality players who play that position in addition, the contracts already given out (see: Ethier, Andre), and add in the "Can play in NY" factor, Swisher would be right in that 5 years for $80 million or 6 for $95 to $100 is not "overpaying" because Nelson Cruz for Texas is going to seek (and get) the same amount of money after next season as well.
    KF23, (l like that handle)

IMO $100 million for a player of Swisher's ability is a primo deal and vastly overpaying. It's actually in line with Fangraph's $ value which is greatly inflated.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF MVP

Coming into this game, he had posted an 0.899 OPS since June 1st (aided by a .363 BABIP). Particularly good this month (.337/.425/.576) and June (.321/.406/.548). A strong finish in September will get him a lot of money this offseason.

Personally, I wouldn't offer him a dime more than we gave Matsui after 2005 (4/$52MM). He's the same age as Godzilla was, and simply isn't as good as Hideki was IMO. Just because other teams have given corner OFers some silly contracts in recent years doesn't mean that the Yankees should continue the trend. That would obviously mean that he'd be playing elsewhere next year, in which case I'd wish him the best of luck in his new digs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post
    Coming into this game, he had posted an 0.899 OPS since June 1st (aided by a .363 BABIP). Particularly good this month (.337/.425/.576) and June (.321/.406/.548). A strong finish in September will get him a lot of money this offseason.

Personally, I wouldn't offer him a dime more than we gave Matsui after 2005 (4/$52MM). He's the same age as Godzilla was, and simply isn't as good as Hideki was IMO. Just because other teams have given corner OFers some silly contracts in recent years doesn't mean that the Yankees should continue the trend. That would obviously mean that he'd be playing elsewhere next year, in which case I'd wish him the best of luck in his new digs.
    When you consider defence, Swish probably is as good as Matsui.

That said, we're not offering anything more than the one year arb deal to ensure we get the draft pick. Nick will play elsewhere next year which I am not looking forward to because he's been one of my favourites, but it will be the right decision. We have to be under $189m for the 2014 season.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Cy Young

I's hate to see him go to Boston, tho, and now Boston has the money

Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post

Yea, I was around the 4/60 range, Melky was in line to get more than that so Swisher is most likely getting something closer to 5/90. Highly doubt he'll be brought back, but damn, what an amazing trade.

NYYF Legend

He's gonna have to exorcise a lot of post-season demons this year if he wants to tack on a couple extra mill
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    He's gonna have to exorcise a lot of post-season demons this year if he wants to tack on a couple extra mill
    Which is one reason, among several, why the Yanks shouldn't consider getting into a bidding war over him.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM 2002 View Post
    I's hate to see him go to Boston, tho, and now Boston has the money
    Lets hope they re-sign Cody Ross instead.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Yea, I was around the 4/60 range, Melky was in line to get more than that so Swisher is most likely getting something closer to 5/90. Highly doubt he'll be brought back, but damn, what an amazing trade.
    We're all gonna hate that he isnt back, when next year we have some late 30's past his prime guy on a 1 year deal playing RF.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    We're all gonna hate that he isnt back, when next year we have some late 30's past his prime guy on a 1 year deal playing RF.
    I'd rather have a past their prime guy on a one year deal as opposed to someone who has to be grossly overpaid to stay. If they can keep Swish on a 3 or 4 year deal at reasonable money, I'm all for it then.

Swish is making 10.25 million this season.
    He has a 12 million dollar club option for next season.
    I'm totally hoping that the Yankees come at him with some kind of 3 year, 30 - 35 million deal and he takes it because he loves NY.
    If not - nice knowin' ya Swish.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    I'd rather have a past their prime guy on a one year deal as opposed to someone who has to be grossly overpaid to stay. If they can keep Swish on a 3 or 4 year deal at reasonable money, I'm all for it then.
    I would be willing to go 4 years with a club option for a 5th. I'd be lying though if I said him having a MIA playoff performance again wouldnt change my mind.

I just hate the idea of us signing another Ibanez type to play RF next year.

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    He has a 12 million dollar club option for next season.
    The club option was for this year. There's no option for next year.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    No option? We are doomed.
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????

Thank goodness we now know.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    You are very correct. I read the chart wrong...
    Even so - my offer to Nick still stands!
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

Wild Fire.

Playing for a contract.

NYYF Legend

Just looking at Swisher's stat line and I noticed something odd. As a Yankee, Swisher has high BB% when his BA is low and low BB% when is BA is high (for him). If he could put UP A 15-16% BB rate in a season where he bats over .270, he'd be that much better.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...99&position=OF

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Just looking at Swisher's stat line and I noticed something odd. As a Yankee, Swisher has high BB% when his BA is low and low BB% when is BA is high (for him). If he could put UP A 15-16% BB rate in a season where he bats over .270, he'd be that much better.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...99&position=OF
    I'm not sure that is odd. It might have something to do with being more aggressive earlier in the count -- especially as he's a guy with a reputation for taking a pitch. He may get more strikes earlier in the count, and therefore get more hits and less walks when more aggressive. Just a theory.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Swisher dedicated yesterday's HR to Robertson's kid: http://t.co/fMgohDFe
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Swisher dedicated yesterday's HR to Robertson's kid: http://t.co/fMgohDFe
    He was making the "L" sign with his fingers to the camera after he hit the HR.

Thread Information