+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: The Official 2012 Nick Swisher Performance Thread

I could watch that gif all day. Yankees know how to take a bean. "Oh, thanks for the walk"

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Why? Swisher didn't do anything wrong there.
    As a Yankee fan, I loved it. But I would not be surprised at all if the Sox didn't feel like he was showing them up in their home park. Like I said, can you imagine the outrage if we were watching the Yankees blow a late 9-0 lead at the Stadium, and Ortiz or some other Sox player pulled a display like that?

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    As a Yankee fan, I loved it. But I would not be surprised at all if the Sox didn't feel like he was showing them up in their home park. Like I said, can you imagine the outrage if we were watching the Yankees blow a late 9-0 lead at the Stadium, and Ortiz or some other Sox player pulled a display like that?
    If a Red Sox player done that I wouldn't have said a thing because I didn't think it was over the top.

If a Red Sox player done that I wouldn't have said a thing because I didn't think it was over the top.
    I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I know baseball puritans and I'd imagine many players would say pounding your chest, roaring like a lion and pointing numerous times into the dugout is over the top. For non-Yankee fans, this wasn't a walkoff hit, a crucial playoff moment or anything. Yes, for us and for the Yankees it was an exciting and improbable comeback against a rival, but it's April and that rival is in last place and in turmoil both on the field and off it. Short of ripping off his jersey a la soccer players, that's about as much emotion as you'll see from a baserunner.

And you know those guys in Boston want to "play the game the right way."

Again, I enjoyed the heck out of it but I doubt the Sox did.

NYYF Cy Young

If Pedroia ever did that this board would meltdown in anger.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I know baseball puritans and I'd imagine many players would say pounding your chest, roaring like a lion and pointing numerous times into the dugout is over the top. For non-Yankee fans, this wasn't a walkoff hit, a crucial playoff moment or anything. Yes, for us and for the Yankees it was an exciting and improbable comeback against a rival, but it's April and that rival is in last place and in turmoil both on the field and off it. Short of ripping off his jersey a la soccer players, that's about as much emotion as you'll see from a baserunner.

And you know those guys in Boston want to "play the game the right way."

Again, I enjoyed the heck out of it but I doubt the Sox did.
    I think the Red Sox have their own issues to resolve before they worry about Nick's pounding his chest and pointing into the Yankee dugout.

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    Agreed, and honestly I'd be one of them. Maybe that makes me immature, but the last thing I want to see is a hated rival come back from a 9-0 lead late in the game, at home after destroying them in my favorite team's 100 year celebration of the park, when my team is reeling and then have an opposing player go nuts after a big hit.

I think the Red Sox have their own issues to resolve before they worry about Nick's pounding his chest and pointing into the Yankee dugout.
    Sure, if given the choice between undoing that loss or Ellsbury's injury or any of the other issues as compared to undoing Nick's display, there's no contest. In the grand scheme of things it's trivial. And it's ok if you thought it was a non-event. I'm really just saying I doubt the Sox saw it that way, and I probably wouldn't have if the situation was reversed. Wouldn't surprise me if the Sox feel the need to plant one in his ribs to say "not in my house" or even to motivate the team. Wouldn't be the first time.

That was my first thought as well.

Hey, Swisher was just being Swisher and he had no intent behind his chest pounding other than expressing emotional joy but if the shoe was on the other foot I know plenty of folks would be PO'd about it.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Sure, if given the choice between undoing that loss or Ellsbury's injury or any of the other issues as compared to undoing Nick's display, there's no contest. In the grand scheme of things it's trivial. And it's ok if you thought it was a non-event. I'm really just saying I doubt the Sox saw it that way, and I probably wouldn't have if the situation was reversed. Wouldn't surprise me if the Sox feel the need to plant one in his ribs to say "not in my house" or even to motivate the team. Wouldn't be the first time.
    Well, if they're going to harbor such feelings until after the July 4th, when they meet again, then they're more messed up as a team than we think they are.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    That was my first thought as well.

Hey, Swisher was just being Swisher and he had no intent behind his chest pounding other than expressing emotional joy but if the shoe was on the other foot I know plenty of folks would be PO'd about it.
    That shoe's been on the other foot before or do we forget some of Big Papi's antics or the Idiots of 2004.

Well, if they're going to harbor such feelings until after the July 4th, when they meet again, then they're more messed up as a team than we think they are.
    I was thinking more about the Sunday night game before it got rained out. Yeah, July is a long ways away and the heat of the moment gets diffused with time.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

That shoe's been on the other foot before or do we forget some of Big Papi's antics or the Idiots of 2004.
    And his 2 day trot around the bases on a home run drives me nuts. Honestly, I'm not saying I want the Yankees to hit the guy in the head (because that's just idiotic) but I wouldn't mind if they made him uncomfortable in the batter's box a lot more often than they do (which is seldom)

Rumor is that the issue with velocity (with Pineda) is that they're afraid that if he doesn't throw 95+, Ortiz wouldn't feel the impact of the ball if it hit him square in the face (due to extreme cushioning).

How can you get mad at this:

27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

While this isn't going to help the starting pitching, and while's not the time to panic, why not move Swisher up in in the lineup with righthanders and lefthanders?
    Against lefties Why not have Jeter, Granderson, Swisher, Cano, arod and Tex? against
    righties, Jeter, Granderson, a-ro, cano, swisher and Tex?

NYYF Legend

Swisher pulled from today's game with tightness in his hammy. Hope it's not serious.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Looks like he will rest it for a couple of days but will avoid the DL.
    "No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in." - Bill Hicks

"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." - Leo Durocher

NYYF Legend

So who is our 4th OF while Swisher sits out? Nunez?
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 89FoxBody View Post
    Looks like he will rest it for a couple of days but will avoid the DL.
    Hopefully it's not like the Arod situation back in August of 2010. It sucks that this happened to Swisher after his solid start to the season.

NYYF Legend

I was watching the game on TBS and they were waiting for a report on why Swish had to be taken out. May have missed it, but they never did get an explanation. Hamstring injuries are touchy - sometimes they turn out to be worse than originally thought. I hope that's not the case - Swish was really locked and loaded so far.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    I was watching the game on TBS and they were waiting for a report on why Swish had to be taken out. May have missed it, but they never did get an explanation. Hamstring injuries are touchy - sometimes they turn out to be worse than originally thought. I hope that's not the case - Swish was really locked and loaded so far.
    Low-grade sprain according to today's pregame.

Swisher says three days off, Girardi says a week.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Low-grade sprain according to today's pregame.

Swisher says three days off, Girardi says a week.
    Either way my fantasy team says
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

He is making sure that the Yankees won't bring him back next season.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    He is making sure that the Yankees won't bring him back next season.
    Agreed. However, I don't think they would bring him back because he'll be 32 and want at least a 2-3 year deal. Better to save the $$$ for Grandy and/or Hamilton.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Thread Information