+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Re: The Official 2012 Nick Swisher Performance Thread

He's been an automatic out for 2 weeks.
    "No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in." - Bill Hicks

"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." - Leo Durocher

NYYF Legend

Swish is one of my favorites, but I'd be surprised if they elect to keep him.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    Swish is one of my favorites, but I'd be surprised if they elect to keep him.
    Agree with this. Unless he offers an NYY discount of some sort on $ and/or years I can't see him coming back.

I do love what he brings to the table but I don't think he'll age extremely well and I'd rather not over pay for his decline years.

That said, he's been pretty putrid since he returned from the hammy issue that kept him out a few days. I hope he starts putting some good ABs together soon. Maybe needs a day off but Wise or Jones as the alternative I think I'll take my chances running Swish out there everyday.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Take this for what its worth, but according to Michael Kay the Yankees approached both Martin and Swisher about extensions and both of them laughed at the parameters the Yankees discussed. They talked to Martin about a 3 year deal in 24 million range. Martin countered with a Y. Molina deal in the 5/75 range. Swisher was also approached with a 3 years proposal in the 37 - 40 million range, Swisher countered with a Jason Werth type deal. In both cases Cashman passed and IMO rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Take this for what its worth, but according to Michael Kay the Yankees approached both Martin and Swisher about extensions and both of them laughed at the parameters the Yankees discussed. They talked to Martin about a 3 year deal in 24 million range. Martin countered with a Y. Molina deal in the 5/75 range. Swisher was also approached with a 3 years proposal in the 37 - 40 million range, Swisher countered with a Jason Werth type deal. In both cases Cashman passed and IMO rightfully so.
    Martin turned down 3/24? Shades of Jody Reed...
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Cy Young

I'm actually surprised at Swisher - he obviously so likes to be a Yankee, and all he has to do is look at what happened to Damon when he asked for too much to see what he's risking in turning them down.

yeah - me too.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM 2002 View Post
    I'm actually surprised at Swisher - he obviously so likes to be a Yankee, and all he has to do is look at what happened to Damon when he asked for too much to see what he's risking in turning them down.
    The difference being that Swisher is 4 years younger than Damon when Damon asked for too much money and Swisher can still play defense.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Cy Young

But the Yankees basically told Damon what they would give him, and when he said no they just moved on. Surely Swisher doesn't want that scenario to happen!

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    The difference being that Swisher is 4 years younger than Damon when Damon asked for too much money and Swisher can still play defense.
    He's still leaving his prime -- which wasn't worth Jayson Werth money. That said, it's very possible he was putting out a number to try and get the Yankees to raise their offer. I think the Yankee offer was fair, though.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

Jayson Werth wasn't worth Jayson Werth money.
    It's ridiculous that it's the new benchmark for OF contracts.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

I thought they were both pretty good offers. Does Martin really expect more/better?

~17M/year for Swisher is plenty IMO, and I'm a Swisher fan.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

If martin thinks he's getting 15 million a year he's insane.
    "No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in." - Bill Hicks

"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." - Leo Durocher

Who are their agents?

Quote Originally Posted by 89FoxBody View Post
    If martin thinks he's getting 15 million a year he's insane.
    Ditto for Swisher. Werth's stats were rising and topped out at 144 OPS+ in his walk year. This will be the 3rd straight year Swisher's numbers have declined. Plus, he's not nearly as good an athlete as Werth.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Swish basically hosed himself of millions with his injury. He was raking fairly good before that.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    I thought they were both pretty good offers. Does Martin really expect more/better?

~17M/year for Swisher is plenty IMO, and I'm a Swisher fan.
    Money better spent elsewhere. Let him walk.

The big question this offseason will be whether we offer him the 1 year deal to get draft picks.

I'd like to think we do.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    The big question this offseason will be whether we offer him the 1 year deal to get draft picks.

I'd like to think we do.
    Under the new CBA, they'd have to offer him a fairly sizable 1-year contract - by my figuring, which is probably off somwhere, something in the $14-$15M range, guaranteed. If he turns it down, the Yankees would no longer get "draft picks" plural - they'd get one sandwich pick.

As a side note, teams who pick up a player midseason no longer get any compensation if he walks. The Cliff Lee scenario no longer exists.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

I like Swisher, but $17M a year is way over the top. I tend to agree with another poster's Damon comparison. Swisher will end up signing somewhere else for much less money than he could've had here if he didn't set his sights so high.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Under the new CBA, they'd have to offer him a fairly sizable 1-year contract - by my figuring, which is probably off somwhere, something in the $14-$15M range, guaranteed. If he turns it down, the Yankees would no longer get "draft picks" plural - they'd get one sandwich pick.

As a side note, teams who pick up a player midseason no longer get any compensation if he walks. The Cliff Lee scenario no longer exists.
    The one year contract, whatever it would be, might not bother the Yankees so much as it wouldn't affect their commitments in 2014. I can see them being willing to pay a bit of a premium for the flexibility
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Swish basically hosed himself of millions with his injury. He was raking fairly good before that.
    He really looked great. It might have made negoiations for the next contract a little tricky if he was able to produce like he was before he got hurt, but not in the 14 million dollar range. Frankly, I'm disappointed in him for turning that offer down. He may have painted himself into a corner if he really wants to stay.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Adam Jones just killed his chances of getting a ridiculous deal. If Jones, the best OFer in the AL East tops out with this deal (looking at FA years only, 5 years, 77 million), then Swisher and Granderson have no business asking for a penny more.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    Adam Jones just killed his chances of getting a ridiculous deal. If Jones, the best OFer in the AL East tops out with this deal (looking at FA years only, 5 years, 77 million), then Swisher and Granderson have no business asking for a penny more.
    He has been the best outfielder in the AL East for a grand total of two months.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    He has been the best outfielder in the AL East for a grand total of two months.
    Yea, but it translated to documented evidence of market value. He set the bar for the most recent value of superstar outfield talent. Any attempt by Swisher / Granderson to push higher than that using something like Jayson Werth is an outdated value.

Thread Information